• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Should I buy a Chimera or Rampage XR?

ystian

Hi Fellas, I'm planning to buy a Redcat in 1:5 scale which is better Chimera or Rampage XR? can you help me? Thanks in advance!

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Staff member
@ystian, the Redcat Chimera and Rampage XR are two totally different types of RC's. What are your plans for the car's and where are you wanting to run them at?

ystian

I think i would run them most of the time in parks, grass, sometimes on dirt. and which of the two has more upgrade options? This is going to be my first Hobby grade RC so sorry for some newbie questions.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Staff member
Based on that, I would suggest you go with the Chimera over the Rampage XR @ystian. I think you'll be much happier with it than the Rampage XR which is going to be limited on off road conditions.

ystian

Ok thanks a lot @WoodiE, also you said that they are totally different type of RC, can you explain their difference? Thanks in advance?

designed2survive

Ok thanks a lot @WoodiE, also you said that they are totally different type of RC, can you explain their difference? Thanks in advance?

@ystian
The XR and Chimera belong to the same platform: the X-Serie which also includes the XB and XT.

In other word with the right parts you can convert a XR to any of the X serie Vehicle.

That being said what you will use it for will guide which one to get.

1- XR
a- On road
b- flat surface off road (gravel, dirt road) with appropriate tires (not strictly necessary)

2- Chimera
a- on road with appropriate tires
b- off road (flat or not)

Regardless of which one you get, consider the X platform a good start. You will need to get the proper upgrades for it to stay running.

Before anything a good kill switch is a must.

1- replace both throttle and steering servos with quality ones
2- replace gear plate with aluminum one
3- @Ol' fart X series differential is a great add on for reliability
4- if you want to use different wheels and tires, you'll need an X serie to Baja 5b wheel adaptor.

You can find most of the above upgrades at 7075rc

DDM is another great place where you can get most of RC parts.

Another set of advice:

1- learn how to tune a 1/5th scale engine
2- don't be afraid to take your RC car apart. You'll learn more about it that way.
3- be ok with things going wrong, they will.
4- ask all of questions / reach out. Just be courteous even when you are pissed off with your RC car.

Last but not least, enjoy!

Last edited:

George

No matter which one you get , take the time and tighten all bolt, nuts and set screws especially the drive shaft set screws. Happy RC and enjoy i do. I have a Chimera and love it

Petrolheadz100

I love the chimera so far, havent tuned it in yet finishing up the breakin process. Did take it all apart to inspect everything, pack the diffs with grease and install a outerwears... time will tell the durability

Edchief

Hello, I have an XR and like it so far. Mine has a Zenoah G320 now, a Baja air filter, stock pipe, a Hitec for gas/brake, Outerwears all around except por the crankcase as I have in my 5T and Hpi Baja on road wheels.
You bought one of the two?

Petrolheadz100

Hello, I have an XR and like it so far. Mine has a Zenoah G320 now, a Baja air filter, stock pipe, a Hitec for gas/brake, Outerwears all around except por the crankcase as I have in my 5T and Hpi Baja on road wheels.
You bought one of the two?
Crankcase outerwear is really important, what steering servo are you running?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts