• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Servo upgrade help-need advise-MT dual servo

TPSF

Any idea s? The futuba mount worked perfectly on the aluminum other side, I figured this would be easy!

G-Man

Any idea s? The futuba mount worked perfectly on the aluminum other side, I figured this would be easy!
I used one of the Savox 0236, the non-waterproof version of the 0241 running a 2s 7.4v lipo rx pack using all of the 555.5 oz. in. of torque. It worked well all by itself until I landed a jump wrong and cartwheeled. The gears stripped. I'd imagine two of those 0241 would put the steering into beast mode. Problem is mounting the second servo like you have found out. I started a thread awhile back on this topic. I ended up going with the Spektrum S9020. This servo is big and bad enough to do the duties on it own running a 2s lipo rx pack. The spektrum has 736 oz. in. of torque at 7.4v. It has been amazing! This servo has by far exceeded my expectations. I have landed the same cartwheel jump a few times and it keeps coming back for more. It has been in my truck since March using the rig twice a week. Good luck with your project!!

G-Man

There is a picture of the Spektrum S9020 on top of the Savox 0236 which is the same size of your 0241. As you can see it is slightly smaller than the Savox

Attachments

• 20170329_191346.jpg
    20170329_191346.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 17

G-Man

I also used an aluminum single servo steering rack made for the Rampage TT

Attachments

• 20170330_235955.jpg
    20170330_235955.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 35

TPSF

Awesome and thank you for the reply! I was doing my best to keep the two servos and I went with savox because of the waterproof and ok specks. As of now I'm keeping at 6v because I don't know a way to mount a bigger battery and look good. Do you know if anybody makes a larger box? How about two straight blocks to mount the second servo it's suck a small thing to have this mess up my whole upgrade! Do they make any two awesome big boy power servos with the curved feature like the stock servos?

G-Man

Awesome and thank you for the reply! I was doing my best to keep the two servos and I went with savox because of the waterproof and ok specks. As of now I'm keeping at 6v because I don't know a way to mount a bigger battery and look good. Do you know if anybody makes a larger box? How about two straight blocks to mount the second servo it's suck a small thing to have this mess up my whole upgrade! Do they make any two awesome big boy power servos with the curved feature like the stock servos?
I have been using this lipo rx pack. It is 2700 mah and lasts 4-5 tanks. I see your point not wanting to use lipo for the fact the receiver has to be able to handle the voltage which stock can not.
I have never seen another servo with that weird curve the mount in the box has either. Maybe use a shorter box and drill and mount another futaba mount. Obviously have to drill and countersink holes, but it's an option. That will be a beast with two of those

Attachments

• 20170105_174939.jpg
    20170105_174939.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 12

TPSF

I have a skyfly i4 receiver is there a way to make it run 7.4?

G-Man

I have a skyfly i4 receiver is there a way to make it run 7.4?
Yes run a BEC. I did that initially but got sick of all the wiring. That's why I sold my flysky radio system. Went with futaba 4pls under $200 and awesome. No bec needed, can run 2s lipo servos, switch the killer rc superbee to lipo cutoff voltage. This pic is a demo of how I ran the bec to power straight 7.4v to the steering servo

Attachments

• 20170201_175906.jpg
    20170201_175906.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 17

TPSF

Thank you for the reply! I guess I had no clue, does the kill switches, I have the dynamite kill switch have to be running 7.4v to kill the engine? I think I'm with you for all that wiring and the limited space on the rampage Mt I don't see how you get it to fit! I wonder if there is anything to do for more storage.

TPSF

Yes run a BEC. I did that initially but got sick of all the wiring. That's why I sold my flysky radio system. Went with futaba 4pls under $200 and awesome. No bec needed, can run 2s lipo servos, switch the killer rc superbee to lipo cutoff voltage. This pic is a demo of how I ran the bec to power straight 7.4v to the steering servo

Is it 1 Bec for every servo you want to have power or can they be run on one Bec? I have two savox for steering and small savox for throttle. Do you know any products that do this that are plug in play?

G-Man

Is it 1 Bec for every servo you want to have power or can they be run on one Bec? I have two savox for steering and small savox for throttle. Do you know any products that do this that are plug in play?
You will only need one BEC to reduce the voltage down to 6 volts for your receiver and throttle servo so they don't fry. You then run one positive wire directly to the positive of each of the steering servos directly off the 7.4v lipo rx pack and leave the other two wires (signal &ground) run through your receiver as usual. It is just much easier to buy a Futaba radio system, the receiver is designed to handle lipo power and much less wiring and electronics to keep dry and possibly fail.
The BEC in the picture above is a Castle 150A if I remember correctly, which I have the Castle link to hook up to my laptop so I could adjust the voltage regulation

TPSF

What futaba remote would you recommend that is similar to the fly sky i4? I like the touch screen and ease of use.

TPSF

I also used an aluminum single servo steering rack made for the Rampage TT
I have burned up two factory servos and my new savox servos move very good but after a few seconds get very sluggish and smell like there burning, I have tried two new 6v batteries as well as two receivers......wires look good so I'm at a loss any ideas?

G-Man

What futaba remote would you recommend that is similar to the fly sky i4? I like the touch screen and ease of use.
I use the Futaba 4PLS. It is not touchscreen. It has a joystick per say that navigates through all the menus, the screen is backlit. It does much more than I use it for. 30 model memory, just have to buy receivers for each car. Has telemetry, the sensors are a seperate purchace. Although the receiver does give telemetry voltage resdings. There are higher end models above this one, but it has 4 channels and does what I will ever need.

Attachments

• 20170416_230256.jpg
    20170416_230256.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 3

G-Man

I have burned up two factory servos and my new savox servos move very good but after a few seconds get very sluggish and smell like there burning, I have tried two new 6v batteries as well as two receivers......wires look good so I'm at a loss any ideas?
The reason the servos are doing well at first then fading out is because you do not have the linkage in sync. That also is the reason you are smelling a burning smell. The servos are fighting each other. It is very difficult to sync the two servos, at least for me it is... I use one big one on that little 2s 7.4v lipo I showed You.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts