• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

servo help 2

audiobranz

I need to buy 3 servos 2 for streering & 1 for throttle/brake I'm looking at 2 waterproof savox servos part# SAVSW0240MG or SAVSW0241MG is that a good choice? I'm not sure what servo I'm getting for my throttle/brake any recommendations...thanks for any help I appreciate it

Last edited by a moderator:

rroberson7805

Savox is great in my opinion but don't know a lot about them and that's what I have read anyways, reviews online look good. I got this hexfly at a good deal local for my throttle/brake for a quick fix when mine went out and so far so good. I wold like a savox for my steering being it's more better brand and steering servo is weak on these things to begin with. Seems like a lot of guys get on here once a week sometimes so be patient on replies. There is some good info once they do reply. Kind of new myself. b62716aee46d080cdb16c486e1b9164e.jpg

ROCKHEART

Can't comment on savox as I don't own any. I run a pair of turnigy 1270 for steering and they're great value for money. They're also hv servos so upgrading to lipo will increase time in between rx charging.

Ice_2k

I think HV means they support 7.2V and will provide more torque. I don't think battery life increases because of that.

ROCKHEART

Sorry I meant running lipo will give you more runtime. Currently run mine on nimh and when the voltage drops to a certain point they refuse to do their job. They're very power hungry lol.

Greggfromohio

Traxxas 2075 works well for throttle/brake, it's also waterproof

Ice_2k

I'm using Hitec HS-5645MG for throttle/brake, very happy with it. Lots of power, locks all 4 wheels on brake even after 2 hours of running (using DDM's 5Ah 6V pack)

GCraig

audiobranz said:
I need to buy 3 servos 2 for streering & 1 for throttle/brake I'm looking at 2 waterproof savox servos part# SAVSW0240MG or SAVSW0241MG is that a good choice? I'm not sure what servo I'm getting for my throttle/brake any recommendations...thanks for any help I appreciate it
I use the Savox SC-1256tg for my troddle and brake. I use 1 Savox SV-0236mg 1/5 scale servo for my steering on my Redcat Rampage MT Pro.

audiobranz said:

GTi_Leo

rroberson7805 said:
Savox is great in my opinion but don't know a lot about them and that's what I have read anyways, reviews online look good. I got this hexfly at a good deal local for my throttle/brake for a quick fix when mine went out and so far so good. I wold like a savox for my steering being it's more better brand and steering servo is weak on these things to begin with. Seems like a lot of guys get on here once a week sometimes so be patient on replies. There is some good info once they do reply. Kind of new myself. b62716aee46d080cdb16c486e1b9164e.jpg
I find the steering servos on the Rampages to be rather good, I have a hitec 5765mg and it keeps burning out on my XB after about 45 minutes of use, the stock one has lasted. from what I've read though the hexfly throttle servos tend to go and when they do they burn out at WOT so I replaced it with a spectrum servo.

since the last time I had my steering servo replaced by hitec I've just left it in the box and the stock servo in. I'm iffy on using it now

GTi_Leo

ROCKHEART said:
Sorry I meant running lipo will give you more runtime. Currently run mine on nimh and when the voltage drops to a certain point they refuse to do their job. They're very power hungry lol.
maybe that's my issue with my hitech 5765, I'm using a 6 volt pack when they can support 7.2 volts. I asked hitech after my second one burnt out if that would make a difference, they just told me the extra torque will make it better, nothing about the die off of the battery or how much power it chews up

Ice_2k

They should run even more reliable at 6V.

GTi_Leo

Ice_2k said:
They should run even more reliable at 6V.
how would it be less reliable on 7.2volts then 6? it wouldn't have the torque and being an electrician I know at a lower voltage it'll want to pull more amperage and heat up the board and motor more. it'll also drain the battery quicker

Wayne

Make sure you set the end points on the Hi Tec 5765. If they are not set correctly you can burn the servo up quickly.

Ice_2k

GTi_Leo said:
how would it be less reliable on 7.2volts then 6? it wouldn't have the torque and being an electrician I know at a lower voltage it'll want to pull more amperage and heat up the board and motor more. it'll also drain the battery quicker
More stress on everything when running higher torque?

ika

GTi_Leo said:
electric motor has fixed min-max internal resistance , when motor is locked int resistance is at lower point . so when higher voltage applyed , more current is flows, than at lower voltage.

GTi_Leo

ika said:
electric motor has fixed min-max internal resistance , when motor is locked int resistance is at lower point . so when higher voltage applyed , more current is flows, than at lower voltage.
not sure I totally agree, a motor doesn't really have much resistance its an inductive load, its just a bunch of windings, so its current draw is based on eddie currents creating "resistance" limiting the flow of current. eddie currents are dependent on voltage and current, less voltage more current, more voltage less current. locked rotor current will always be higher on a lower voltage then higher voltage.

http://www.answers.com/Q/What_is_locked_rotor_current

heres a better explanation then I can give

I'm not sure if these servos are different considering they are a brushless motor and require an internal board that can vary the power. I don't want to highjack the thread with talks about motor workings so if you have another explanation that I may be missing please PM me, I like learning new things

GTi_Leo

Ice_2k said:
More stress on everything when running higher torque?
that I can see but most of these servos are rated for them so their internals should be sufficient for this, the linkages on the other hand are a different story.

with my servos its the motor that has been burning out and being replaced

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts