• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Second steering servo to brake MT, is this normal?

whc

Now for second time the left side steering servo broke on my new MT, this time after 2 tank of fuel first time after 3 tanks. Are the stock steering servo just poor quality or have I just been unlucky?

Thinking of upgrading, what servo to go for and is just one servo enough, any experience is much welcome.

BertR

The stock steering servo is a good servo IMO. If the end points are not set right you will burn them out and that goes for all makes. The best one I have owned was the rampage stocker with 3 years of serious abuse before the gears striped out. Hitec and Savox seem to be the best/ highly recommended.

whc

On both servo the gear stripped out, the engine inside the servo is running just fine. This is from running on grass, no bashing, how can the metal gear break that easy? Is it normal?

blak__jak

I gotten a lot of good tips from bert but in this case I've got to disagree. I've got two m/t's and a d/r and in my experience with them I haven't had a whole lot of luck with redcat servos. my first m/t with the end points set right the t/b servo shit the bucket after about 2 tanks and soon after one of the steering servos died. on the d/r I bought next the t/b servo lasted into the second tank before having to be replaced but I must admit the steering servo is still working till this day. the second m/t the t/b servo died before I got though the second tank but the steering servos are still working today. I haven't run that one a whole lot so I'm still crossing my fingers on it. as for your question about using one servo. if you buy a good quality servo like hitec or savox there is no reason why you couldn't just run one.

307_Proud

Im with the OP here, I bought my 32cc MT about 4 months ago and only have 1.5 gallons run through it. The T/B servo went before the first gallon. I replaced that with a Traxxas 2075 servo. And now today one of the steering servos started acting goofy. Started twitching and not steering to the left. I have not had good luck with the servos on my MT! Gonna look into the Savox and also check Hitec as well.

FMcamaroZ28

The traxxas 2075 has enough torque to apply brakes? With the plastic gears, I doubt that servo will last long there.

I went with a mega servo for the throttle and brake, the savox sb-2282sg. Don't want that sucker to die at full throttle.

You should be applying the end points to ANY servo.

For steering, I went with the Turnigy TGY-1270HV. For $35 and 500oz torque, it has been great. If you keep the page open a pop up will come up on the right offering it to you for $32.

Bought it based off this review here>

http://www.beatyourtruck.com/forum/showthread.php?87554-Good-looking-5th-scale-servo-from-Hobbyking-Savox-alternative

FMcamaroZ28

I dunno man, its pretty light too. I figured for that price i can at least give them a go.

I also run them off Lipo. They are still new to me but i really like them so far.

307_Proud

FMcamaroZ28 said:
The traxxas 2075 has enough torque to apply brakes? With the plastic gears, I doubt that servo will last long there.Bought it based off this review here>

http://www.beatyourtruck.com/forum/showthread.php?87554-Good-looking-5th-scale-servo-from-Hobbyking-Savox-alternative
The Traxxas 2075 is a High Torque servo, Im not sure of the specs. However it is an upgrade from the stocker, which was able to lock up the wheels. It just didn't last. Of course I had plenty of options and that was my choice.

I do like the sounds of the the Savox servo for steering. Everyone seems to say that One is enough?

What about just running One of the stock steering servos? I havent had time to do any bashing lately, but will one be strong enough until I can get a Savox?

Last edited by a moderator:

307_Proud

Ok, Ive been doing some thinking! Using 2 versus using just a single servo for steering. Im drawn to this conclusion that by using 2 servos, the battery power will be divided amongst 2 servos. Say a 6v pack will be cut down to 3v powering them both. Except for the fact that they are wired in parallel as opposed to a series. Is this true?

I gave running on just the single stock servo a try and am impressed that it can handle it being somewhat of a week 1/5scale servo. I do need an upgrade though. I saw a 1/4 scale Futaba servo rated at 33kg (stock is 20kg) on Daves Discount Motors, for around $47. Thinking this would be a good deal to get 2 and keep the dual servo capability and have a bit stronger set up. What do you guys think? Who all has gone with a single Savox and how happy are you with that?

Ice_2k

Second steering servo to brake MT, is this normal?

The voltage stays the same (around 6V in this case, depending on battery charge level) for all electronics connected to the battery, you're just drawing more amps from the battery when running 2 servos.

Phill

307_Proud said:
Ok, Ive been doing some thinking! Using 2 versus using just a single servo for steering. Im drawn to this conclusion that by using 2 servos, the battery power will be divided amongst 2 servos. Say a 6v pack will be cut down to 3v powering them both. Except for the fact that they are wired in parallel as opposed to a series. Is this true? I gave running on just the single stock servo a try and am impressed that it can handle it being somewhat of a week 1/5scale servo. I do need an upgrade though. I saw a 1/4 scale Futaba servo rated at 33kg (stock is 20kg) on Daves Discount Motors, for around $47. Thinking this would be a good deal to get 2 and keep the dual servo capability and have a bit stronger set up. What do you guys think? Who all has gone with a single Savox and how happy are you with that?
Wired in parallel you'll get 6 volts on each but your battery would drain faster.

If you wired them in series you'd get3 volts each.

My DR runs 1 steering servo with no probs.

I really don't see the need for 2.

Phill

307_Proud said:
Ok, Ive been doing some thinking! Using 2 versus using just a single servo for steering. Im drawn to this conclusion that by using 2 servos, the battery power will be divided amongst 2 servos. Say a 6v pack will be cut down to 3v powering them both. Except for the fact that they are wired in parallel as opposed to a series. Is this true? I gave running on just the single stock servo a try and am impressed that it can handle it being somewhat of a week 1/5scale servo. I do need an upgrade though. I saw a 1/4 scale Futaba servo rated at 33kg (stock is 20kg) on Daves Discount Motors, for around $47. Thinking this would be a good deal to get 2 and keep the dual servo capability and have a bit stronger set up. What do you guys think? Who all has gone with a single Savox and how happy are you with that?
Have you got a link to that Futaba?

FMcamaroZ28

OR you go to high voltage capable servos all around and run them off a lipo.

And never look back.

I have a 3000mah lipo velcro'd to the front chassis brace and it can easily last me 3 tanks.

Ice_2k

Not sure in this case lipo is worth the hassle of charging bags, special charger and so on. I'm running a 5000mAh 6V NiMh and it lasts forever. If you want HV, you can get a 5000mAh 7.2V NiMh from DDM at $35

designed2survive

Ice_2k said:
Not sure in this case lipo is worth the hassle of charging bags, special charger and so on. I'm running a 5000mAh 6V NiMh and it lasts forever. If you want HV, you can get a 5000mAh 7.2V NiMh from DDM at $35
Got a link for that 7.2V DDM NiMh battery?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online