• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Rovan 32cc 4 Bolts Gas Engine for 1/5 HPI , installed in MT-now clutch slipping

rekit

So it fit just fine, clutch seemed identical in all ways. Nothing rubbing. But at full throttle it still not fully engaged. Maybe need to put my original clutch springs in? I read there may be some width issues with the clutch but they measured the same. Motor runs fine, cranked right up and seems to be hitting high rpms, can't lean it during break in but it does not sound rich at all. (I fly gas airplanes and know how to tune nitro and gas). Any ideas?

Redredcat0223

The Rovan engines are basically cy engines and the stock redcat engines are hy’severything fits them exactly the same

rekit

SO, I took it back apart and the Rovan has the red/orange clutch springs. Original are black, so 8k/6k? Also noticed the shoulders on the Rovan clutch bolts are about a 1/16" longer then originals so will do more measuring. I will probably put the originals and their bolts in and try that. Ran out of blue loctite for now. Thanks, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Redredcat0223

Ok red springs are 8,000 rpm and ya I would reinstall whichever bolts came out of that motor,I don’t think that 1/16” will really matter,they probably screw in that much more on that motor that’s all,please let me know how it turns out and I’m always glad to help whenever I can!

Redredcat0223

So I’m still confused after rereading everything,so you had a stock 32cc mt and then you installed a Rovan 32cc engine correct? But then you thought maybe the Rovan clutch was hitting correct?Now you took it back apart and noticed the red spring?Well most Rovan engines come with the red 8,000 rpm spring which is great for your application but there’s no way anything is hitting or getting held up,the Rovan motor is identical fit wise in every way to your stock hy redcat motor,it just needs to be broken in more and completely tuned,I really hope this helps you out and I definitely wouldn’t throw that original clutch and spring into the Rovan motor,that’s just a big waste of time but to each it’s own!!!

rekit

I don't have a tach. Maybe it wasn't hitting 8k? Sure sounded like it was. I put a tuned pipe on it.

Attachments

• pipe.jpg
    pipe.jpg
    541.6 KB · Views: 13

rekit

No, I never said anything was hitting or rubbing-I just saw on the net that you might need an adapter due to differences in the width of the clutch or something. I was watching for that but everything looked identical to me. This is my first truck but I've been into rc for many years. I didn't know about the red springs/rpm thing. The original would jump off the line as soon as you gave it throttle-now it hits full rpm and sorta starts going. Will barely go in tall grass at full throttle. so clutch not engaging properly. I don't wanna have to scream around at full throttle, liked it better how it was before. 6k should be just fine. We'll see, maybe today.

Redredcat0223

Ok now that you explained it like that,ya you have something else going on,to me sounds like a motor issue,Tgat truck even with an 8000 rpm spring should still be launching off the line,it just waits till the motor is at 8000 rpm them engages ,that motor should rev at least up to 16,000 rpm if not more,usually the 8000 rpm spring gives it better and harder launches,I’ve heard of a lot of people having issues with those rovan engines especially the 30.5 a A nd the 32 and 36,I would call rovan and explain the situation,from what I’ve seen and heard thier customer service is top notch,I personally think it’s either a car or that motor is no good,that thing should be runnin around way better than it did with the crap stock hy 32cc,I would definitely give rovan a call!I hope you get it figured out!!

rekit

6K clutch fixed it. Back to the fun now~thanks for everyone's help.
What up with the price of tires I'm seeing? $100?? I better stop doing donuts. And they are so out of balance-I've got 2-3 oz of lead in each of my stock tires or it hops off the ground. QC sucks

Redredcat0223

Wow that’s really wierd that the clutch spring fixed that,I still don’t get it,I’ve upgraded to an 8000 on every motor I’ve ever had even the stock pos that came with my truck,oh well,glad it worked and ya those stock tires suck,get the 24mm adapters and then you can basically fun any set of wheel and tire combo just about

Redredcat0223

I would think even maybe the size of the tires and gearing was the issue but I’ve seen tons of guys put the red 8000 clutch spring in these trucks even with the stock motor and make it better, I don’t know I’m gonna give up I guess. Lol I hate being stumped lol

Last edited:

rekit

I ran it up on blocks after the successful donuts. I can lean it some when it's broke in..maybe it didn't hit 8k? Who knows...Not used to the tuned pipe sound. But it hauls ass now! Not sure why I would want an 8k rpm launch just for messing around on my property. I'm going back in and locktite stuff now.

Phill

6K clutch fixed it. Back to the fun now~thanks for everyone's help.
What up with the price of tires I'm seeing? $100?? I better stop doing donuts. And they are so out of balance-I've got 2-3 oz of lead in each of my stock tires or it hops off the ground. QC sucks

I always run 6k clutches.
I find it's much more "driveable" esp when cornering.
With the 8k you back off in a corner and you're in neutral.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts