• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

retainer rings

kryptonite

i don't run them, but i wish i did. they will save the front drive cups. on a really hard, uneven landing the plastic will flex and if the front wheels are turned to the end of the lock, the drive shaft "may" pop out. when it does that while still spinning it could crack the drive cup in the diff or axles. the cup savers do just what you think they would do.. when you take a close look at the pins in the drive shafts you will see they are inset un-evenly. kind of like a 5 year old put them in(wouldnt suprise me). you'll have to dremel them for the cup savers to fit. its a good idea to put green or red loc-tite on the pins. some have wiggled out(none of mine). "pwaicons" wiggled right thru the cup savers.. that issue was fixed in your V2, but it doesn't hurt any to do that.

DemonRC

Didn't somebody say the CAT5 ones were aluminum? I want to find kinda steel ring to tack weld into place kinda like TR does with their Baja outdrives. The problem is finding the right ring/tubing to fit right.

DemonRC

Hey I just checked the OD on the drive cups and they are .779". I checked McMaster Carr and they have some 4130 chromoly tubing with a 7/8" OD with a .049" wall which makes a .777" ID which is dam close to the OD on the drive cups. The tubing comes in a 6' length. That's enough to mod 288 drive cups for about $26.

kryptonite

catchaser said:
Hey I just checked the OD on the drive cups and they are .779". I checked McMaster Carr and they have some 4130 chromoly tubing with a 7/8" OD with a .049" wall which makes a .777" ID which is dam close to the OD on the drive cups. The tubing comes in a 6' length. That's enough to mod 288 drive cups for about $26.
i'll buy it if you weld it..lol. i need 12.. :D

kryptonite

mooman007uk said:
I've never had a problem after green loctiting them. no need for retainers
i thought the retainers where to help support the diff cup from cracking? kind of like a seatbelt in a head on crash..lol..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts