• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Redcat Rampage XT-E (would like to make it wheelie)

cjr1985car

New owner here. I love the truck, but want to make this machine wheelie from a stop. Couple questions:

1. Will better Lipos (higher C rating) accomplish this with added punch and timing on the stock motor? I'm not sure what the factory pinion size it, but maybe a smaller pinion (one or two teeth smaller)?

2. Pending the above idea does not accomplish my goals, will an upgraded motor like a 5692 Leopard with a 7075 motor mount on stock ESC with 6S power get me there? What gearing would be recommended for maximum torque (wheel lifting power)?

3. If all above does not get me a wheels up truck which ESC would you recommend to run 8S power. I saw the 200amp trackstar unit, toro beast or castle's mamba xl X or 2?

Thanks guys!

-Colton

cjr1985car

Rob,

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if that would be a 9t pinion? I know thats an option, but haven't looked at the factory pinion size yet.

-Colton

cjr1985car

Thanks Rob! I just found out the stock pinion is 10t on the XT-E, very interested in what you find out. Could you also maybe ask what level of punch the guys use on the ESC? Mine was set at level 3 from the factory even though the default was supposed to be 5 (I bumped it to 6). Another thing to note, the LVC was set a 2.8 volts per cell so I moved that up to 3.2 volts per cell. I did order 5500mah 3s 35c lipos so that will be a small improvement over the stock 25c lipos.

-Colton

cjr1985car

Rob,

I ordered a kershaw designs 9t pinion, but I'm still interested in the wheelie formula. Im hoping I can get the front end up with the better lipos (I ordered 5500mah with 35c and the 9t pinion), I might also increase the punch to 7 (I'm at 6 right now).

Also interesting to note. I've watched most of your vids and the video with the pinion coming loose looks nothing like the pinion they installed on the XT-E. The XT-E pinion is much longer to prevent sliding back and forth. Just an FYI. They also damn near welded it to the motor shaft with all of the glue or loctite type fluid used. It was good to see. The assembly on my unit was very good.

-Colton

RampageHopUps

I missed going to Redcat today. I work 1/2 mile away, but can't sneak out at lunch. I will call over there tomorrow.

Yeah, I saw they upgraded the pinions after the first prototype.

RampageHopUps

Sorry, forgot to update you.

1). Use the 35C batteries, easy mod.

2) take the front diff out and the 3 dogbones

3). The ESC is stock at 3 punch and only goes to 4. I'm not sure where you are finding 6 or 7.

cjr1985car

The ESC has 9 levels of punch (I've verified this and played with multiple settings 4-7). Its a hobbywing 150a pro model thats been stripped down a little. The factory LVC was also set at 2.8V (that should be bumped up).

Good information. Thanks Rob!

-Colton

cjr1985car

I sold off the stock equipment and upgraded to a hobbywing max5 200a ESC, Leopard 5692 1000KV and a 8s lipo setup :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.