• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

redcat rampage stripped main chassie screws

atvmx

I have ran my rampage buggy for 2 tanks now with the new shockshafts from phatdad with new springs, and a new intake and the ss exhaust. Break in went great and all the new tight parts were starting to work more freely as they broke in. I did a service after the 3rd tank at which i had my buggy on my race track and started driving it harder, when i looked at the bottom of the chassie plate i noticed some loose flat head screws that hold the main front and rear tranny. No big deal so i went to remove them and put locktight on them to keep them tight and uppon removal the threads which are plastic came out in a coil or where galled to the steel screws and came out in one piece ? :eek: you mean to tell me there is no steel insert or steel nut in these housings. I tried to re tighten these but i cannot put any type of torque on them. As i went to look at the rest of the screws they were also either not able to be tightened or when dissasembled the threads and plastic particals fell out of the holes? Man i though this buggy was going to be the next best thing but with this major set back the only true fix for this is for the aftermarket to step in and build new parts in alluminum with prefferably steel inserts. I also noticed how much flex or movment there is betwean them meaning i can hold my chassie down and flex the shock towers fwd and back very easily noticing how much the chssie flexes, with any type of large inpact i think there will be some breakage. I am adding 2 steel rods from the front shock tower to the rear to help remedy this for now and then i will be building my cage off from that for the baja asguard body that will be fully supported in a roll over. fyi check out all your chassie screws before running and i recomend locktight to help combat this problem along with a front to rear type support.

hope this helps some people

atvmx

RampageHopUps

What your stripping is the plastic roll cage or screws into plastic? There is no fix for that, unless you use longer plastite screws. Can you take a picture of the bottom and circle the screws you are stripping? I'll see if I can get some plastite screws to work in those areas for you.

RampageHopUps

2 different roll cages should be available soon. I'll check on the first one tommorrow.

atvmx

rob

i am not even woried about the stock crappy roll cage as i am building my own. but as for the main screws for the front and rear diffs i did not strip them out they were already stripped and falling out, i just want to get it where they wont come off but the damage is already done. i might try helicoiling the mounts if possible.

Sprint 77

Contributor
atvmx said:
I have ran my rampage buggy for 2 tanks now with the new shockshafts from phatdad with new springs, and a new intake and the ss exhaust. Break in went great and all the new tight parts were starting to work more freely as they broke in. I did a service after the 3rd tank at which i had my buggy on my race track and started driving it harder, when i looked at the bottom of the chassie plate i noticed some loose flat head screws that hold the main front and rear tranny. No big deal so i went to remove them and put locktight on them to keep them tight and uppon removal the threads which are plastic came out in a coil or where galled to the steel screws and came out in one piece ? :eek: you mean to tell me there is no steel insert or steel nut in these housings. I tried to re tighten these but i cannot put any type of torque on them. As i went to look at the rest of the screws they were also either not able to be tightened or when dissasembled the threads and plastic particals fell out of the holes? Man i though this buggy was going to be the next best thing but with this major set back the only true fix for this is for the aftermarket to step in and build new parts in alluminum with prefferably steel inserts. I also noticed how much flex or movment there is betwean them meaning i can hold my chassie down and flex the shock towers fwd and back very easily noticing how much the chssie flexes, with any type of large inpact i think there will be some breakage. I am adding 2 steel rods from the front shock tower to the rear to help remedy this for now and then i will be building my cage off from that for the baja asguard body that will be fully supported in a roll over. fyi check out all your chassie screws before running and i recomend locktight to help combat this problem along with a front to rear type support.
hope this helps some people

atvmx
I am not certain what you are asking of the Redcat Dist. To replace a plastic cage because your over-torqued the screws in plastic. I can think of about 3 good ways to fix this problem and get back to running.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts