• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Redcat Racing Announces V4 Monster Truck

Phill

designed2survive said:
Today there is indeed a market for it, the 5ive roller and Baja 5B SS are flying off the shelves.
I looked at a Losi roller but here in Aus it actually works out cheaper to buy an RTR and change the bits you don't like (moor , pipe etc)

Damebb75

Personally the only reason id buy a roller is if i couldnt afford a rtr all at once. I don't care what engine comes in it, when that bad boy shows up at my house, i want to drive it. Then save up for upgrades.

Ice_2k

Damebb75 said:
Personally the only reason id buy a roller is if i couldnt afford a rtr all at once. I don't care what engine comes in it, when that bad boy shows up at my house, i want to drive it. Then save up for upgrades.
If you're planning on upgrading certain parts immediately (e.g. new radio or new engine) it makes sense to buy a cheaper version without those parts. The thing I don't like about rollers is that they're usually missing too many parts (e.g. the Losi 5ive roller would be interesting to me because I really don't think the 29cc is enough for that car and I would like to buy it without engine and get myself an OBR separately. However, their roller is missing a lot of other things like servos, radio, painted body which is not ideal)

Phill

Ice_2k said:
If you're planning on upgrading certain parts immediately (e.g. new radio or new engine) it makes sense to buy a cheaper version without those parts. The thing I don't like about rollers is that they're usually missing too many parts (e.g. the Losi 5ive roller would be interesting to me because I really don't think the 29cc is enough for that car and I would like to buy it without engine and get myself an OBR separately. However, their roller is missing a lot of other things like servos, radio, painted body which is not ideal)
The Losi drivetrain is a lot more efficient than the Redcat so the smaller motor balances out

Ice_2k

Phill said:
The Losi drivetrain is a lot more efficient than the Redcat so the smaller motor balances out
Why the big difference? I'm not familiar with their setup, never saw one up close.

almighty15

Ice_2k said:
Why the big difference? I'm not familiar with their setup, never saw one up close.
Less gears in the drive line

You're looking at 10 gears on the Rampage VS 6 on the Losi 5ive..... Those gears on the Rampage's transfer plate add a lot of additional rotating mass losses.

The Losi pinion mates right up to the centre spur gear where as the Rampage has to go through 5 gears just to get the power to the centre spur gear.

Ice_2k

Ah, ok. So even replacing the redcat gears with a belt drive, it would still have more gears than the Losi...

phreerider

just a point of , dynamics of mass rotational , inertial , gear drag , certainly add to power loss, but also add to torgue from rotational mass , like flywheel power.

the 90 degree turn certainly is a loss for redcat gearplate compared to losi pinion center drive. but losi needs it! it is a heavy unit...plus the have planetary center to drive as well? not sure about that. there are plus on both , you certainly could do a belt AND 90 degree, belt drive losi!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts