• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Rampage XT Won't Move - Suggestions?

Chortdakooba

I just got through my 4th cycle in the break in period yesterday, and now having problems with the truck moving.
Running up and down that acreage at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, it seems to move pretty good for the first little bit, but then it just stops and the engine is still revved up. Wait a few seconds and it gets going, but after a few yards it just stops again. I put the truck up on a stand and the wheels are spinning freely. When I give it gas on the stand, the wheels will spin for a bit, and then stop. The engine is running great and doesn't stall. It was all running good through the first couple of cycles. I have upgraded to a better Hitec throttle servo, but it was doing the same thing with the old servo before I changed it.
I've tried searching for this problem, and not really sure where I should start to search for this problem. I've looked at some brake videos, and from what I seen with other trucks the plates underneath look to be a little bit loose when the brakes are not applied. My plates are pretty tight, with just a hint of play, but really not much at all. Not sure if this is good or not. The brake lever doesn't seem to move all that much back and forth, not sure if that was the way it was designed to work. It hasn't changed from when the truck was running good.

When the truck is cold it all seems to run fine, but this all starts to happen when it warms up. I'm still in the break in period, but I really don't want to run it anymore until this issue is resolved. Looking for any suggestions as to where I should start looking. Could this be a deeper problem than the brakes, like maybe clutch issues? Anyone else ever have this problem and what did you do. Is there any tests I could run to help isolate the issue?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mikemike

I just got through my 4th cycle in the break in period yesterday, and now having problems with the truck moving.
Running up and down that acreage at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, it seems to move pretty good for the first little bit, but then it just stops and the engine is still revved up. Wait a few seconds and it gets going, but after a few yards it just stops again. I put the truck up on a stand and the wheels are spinning freely. When I give it gas on the stand, the wheels will spin for a bit, and then stop. The engine is running great and doesn't stall. It was all running good through the first couple of cycles. I have upgraded to a better Hitec throttle servo, but it was doing the same thing with the old servo before I changed it.
I've tried searching for this problem, and not really sure where I should start to search for this problem. I've looked at some brake videos, and from what I seen with other trucks the plates underneath look to be a little bit loose when the brakes are not applied. My plates are pretty tight, with just a hint of play, but really not much at all. Not sure if this is good or not. The brake lever doesn't seem to move all that much back and forth, not sure if that was the way it was designed to work. It hasn't changed from when the truck was running good.

When the truck is cold it all seems to run fine, but this all starts to happen when it warms up. I'm still in the break in period, but I really don't want to run it anymore until this issue is resolved. Looking for any suggestions as to where I should start looking. Could this be a deeper problem than the brakes, like maybe clutch issues? Anyone else ever have this problem and what did you do. Is there any tests I could run to help isolate the issue?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
I went threw this same issue. Its the breaking system it sucks. I wish i would have known before i purchased it. The rest of the truck runs fine. But when the breaks heat up they tend to start to stick. Thats whats causing ur truck to stop. Soon it will start to cut it off. Also check your clutch. Keep a few on hand. Get use to swapping them out after a few hard runs! I use the 8000k springs. You can get the whole assembly 2 for $25 on ebay

Chortdakooba

I went threw this same issue. Its the breaking system it sucks. I wish i would have known before i purchased it. The rest of the truck runs fine. But when the breaks heat up they tend to start to stick. Thats whats causing ur truck to stop. Soon it will start to cut it off. Also check your clutch. Keep a few on hand. Get use to swapping them out after a few hard runs! I use the 8000k springs. You can get the whole assembly 2 for $25 on ebay

Thanks for the information. I did read up somewhere that the clutches need replacing every so often depending on how it's driven.. anywhere from after 2-4 tanks of gas. What did you do to get through the breaking problem? What is the benefit of using 8000k springs versus stock?

Mikemike

Thanks for the information. I did read up somewhere that the clutches need replacing every so often depending on how it's driven.. anywhere from after 2-4 tanks of gas. What did you do to get through the breaking problem? What is the benefit of using 8000k springs versus stock?
Well the breaking issue is still ongoing. Getting to the break plates means taking the truck apart. Ive done it twice tightened everything up put everything back but after a good run with using the breaks like i should be able to it goes right back. So the last time i jus took them off. No breaks. Truck runs great its jus a little more dangerous!!
8000k spring gives you more torque of the line. Its worth it. Especially in dirt or gravel. Makes the truck so much more fun. The response is awesome

GJB56

I have a dumb Question on the 8000k clutch spring. Would this make it more difficult to drive a slow speeds?

Chortdakooba

Well the breaking issue is still ongoing. Getting to the break plates means taking the truck apart. Ive done it twice tightened everything up put everything back but after a good run with using the breaks like i should be able to it goes right back. So the last time i jus took them off. No breaks. Truck runs great its jus a little more dangerous!!
8000k spring gives you more torque of the line. Its worth it. Especially in dirt or gravel. Makes the truck so much more fun. The response is awesome

I think I'm going keep the brakes on for now. Maybe it's just a matter of wearing them down a bit because they're new.. at the expense of a few extra clutches. I'll have to go on-line and look for them as you mentioned. It's funny though, that an internet search for this problem doesn't bring up anything.. not anything I could find at least.
However, I did find yesterday that when I took my gear plate cover off, that all the gears had some play in them, like they were a little loose. I'm not sure if they're supposed to be that way or not, but I tightened up the nuts a bit so they're isn't much play. Maybe that's not good?? I tried testing them out on a stand, but ended up having a wide open throttle issue when I started the engine. Now I have to figure that out. But that's a different thread.

Mikemike

I think I'm going keep the brakes on for now. Maybe it's just a matter of wearing them down a bit because they're new.. at the expense of a few extra clutches. I'll have to go on-line and look for them as you mentioned. It's funny though, that an internet search for this problem doesn't bring up anything.. not anything I could find at least.
However, I did find yesterday that when I took my gear plate cover off, that all the gears had some play in them, like they were a little loose. I'm not sure if they're supposed to be that way or not, but I tightened up the nuts a bit so they're isn't much play. Maybe that's not good?? I tried testing them out on a stand, but ended up having a wide open throttle issue when I started the engine. Now I have to figure that out. But that's a different thread.
I put a couple of washers on the center diff gear because of all of the play in there also. The break issue is a mystery lol. Mine would acually come to a stop and stall out. Major pain in the butt. Wide open throttle sounds like clutch. If the spring pops off ur truck will be wide open throttle. Ive had this happen and it took me a run away truck to figure it out. I hope u have a kill switch installed. Best investment!

Chortdakooba

I put a couple of washers on the center diff gear because of all of the play in there also. The break issue is a mystery lol. Mine would acually come to a stop and stall out. Major pain in the butt. Wide open throttle sounds like clutch. If the spring pops off ur truck will be wide open throttle. Ive had this happen and it took me a run away truck to figure it out. I hope u have a kill switch installed. Best investment!

Thanks for the heads up. I will check the clutch spring first. I need to learn how to get in there anyways. Yes, just installed a kill switch this week.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.