• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Rampage XB-E, LBP5898-1100 / TP5670, Mamba XLX, 6-8S

Dr_T

Well, ...Vader actually, but what's in a name... :)

Hi guys, I'm new here and thought I'd show you what I'm working on. Still need to work on the battery trays a bit, but it's slowly coming to life now. It's cool to have a dedicated forum for this platform and this forum has been a great help already to get me up to speed on the car, so thanks for that and I hope you are going to enjoy my thread!

Motor mount:

I opted for the Kershaw mount, because of availability and price. It takes a little bit of fiddling to use it with gear cover and have both the top plates nice and level, but that's part of the fun. The 2 mounting positions to allow for motors longer than 106 mm looks nice on paper, but in practice, with the mount in rear (2028, 58110 size) position, the mounting screws basically limit pinion sizes to max 13T, unless running the gears with a bit of off-set... Means the need for big and heavy tires to gear up with mount in 2028/58110 position, or using >8S, but those ESCs are still way to scarce unfortunately.

Motor(s):

Stock motor appears to be a core-less 2-pole, seems a bit small for a big car like this. I'll start my testing with a TP5670 (55x90mm, 962g, probably a 6D wind -judging from kv check- but not 100% sure) and LBP5898-1100kv (1096g). I also have a LBP-58110-950kv (1248 g), but for now, that needs too big/heavy tires to get the gearing I want, based on the pinion limit of the KD mount.

Did quick little kv test. No-load current of the TP5670 is quite high, over 2 times as high as the Leopard. >10A at 22V is >220W doing nothing but generating heat. That's about 3 proper soldering irons :eek: . During the no-load kv test, the 960 g TP5670 accelerated noticeably more violently than the 1100 g LBP5898, suggesting higher Torque.

Anyway, looking forward to some more testing to see how things will be under load. Seems the Leo is actually going to be more efficient at lower loads; question becomes at what loads they cross-over. From what I've seen, I'm expecting the TP to hold RPM better than the Leo, which at some point will drive the Leo to lower efficiency... at least that's how I think it works...

ESC:

Will try the updated Mamba XL (X). Thought about getting that new Toro Beast ESC, but reading how SkyRC seems to have screwed up the accompanying software and datalogging, made me choose for XLX, although I have seen the XL2 getting a bit hot in Othello's Carson Dirt Attack - which is same car with different badge. Castle's datalogging keeps being one of the big selling points for me though.

Didn't open it up to check the inside caps, but the new XLX front caps are 2x1500uF instead of the 2x680uF of the XL2. The integrated cappack is 4x820uF. So, assuming internal caps are still 2x560uF like with XL2, total capacitance is 7400uF, compared to 2480uF of the standard XL2... that should produce some manly sparks!

Although the added cappack seems like a bit of an afterthought, I think it looks pretty decent (at least better than when I'd have to add a bunch of caps myself) and the added length doesn't matter for this car; in fact, the form factor of the XLX works pretty well here, and I can (just, but) still fit the buggy body with the ESC mounted on the front top-plate.

Batteries:

I have a couple of 5Ah 6S Turnigy Heavy Duty packs from my 1/8 scales, which I will start off with, running parallel (10Ah 6S total). For 8S I'll either be using 2x2 4Ah 4S (8Ah 8S total) Turnigy Heavy Duty packs, or the new Turnigy Graphene packs, when they become available and performance looks as good as the specs.

Gearing:

Gearing chart with resulting no-load nominal-Voltage (i.e., 3.7V/cell) wheel-speeds (NLWS) for measured kvs below. 13/41 on 155mm stock tires (80-109 km/h no-load, depending Voltage and motor) looks like good start for off-road, and 18/41 on 138mm GRP F1 tires (98-135 km/h no-load, depending on Voltage and motor) for on-road.

Wheels:

I like light and smaller wheels, so for now I'll stick to the stock and FG style tires, instead of going for the Baja 24mm hexes. Disadvantage of the FGs is they need some more modification with the new M10-stub axles (I still have a couple of M6-stub axles) and the off-set of FG style rims is way too big...

Wheel-bearing spacers:

I noticed the 18mm squares get pushed into the bearings when tightening the wheel-nuts hard, resulting in a lot of lateral force on the wheel-bearings (inner races being pulled together), causing the bearings to not run freely. I used a pipe-cutter and some simple 14-10mm alu tube to make spacers that fill the gap between the inner bearing races; now, no matter how hard I crank-down the wheel-nuts, the bearings keep running nice and smoothly.

Pics (more to come below):

No-load kv test, TP5670 (left) vs LBP5898-1100 (right), RPM scale is showing "electrical RPM" (ERPM: as if it were 2-poles):

dr_t-albums-vader-picture35035-kv-test-lbp5898-tp5670.jpg

Gearing-chart, based on measured kvs:

dr_t-albums-vader-picture35036-vader-gearing.jpg

DIY wheel-bearing spacers (go between wheel-bearings to prevent inner races being pulled together):

dr_t-albums-vader-picture34810-diy-alu-spacers.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr_T

Note plastic spacer for leveling front top-plate (made simply from piece of stock battery tray):

No good... even with low-profile, washer-less screws: i.e., need big and heavy tires to gear up with mount in 2028/58110 position:

Winding-density comparison, LBP5811-950kv (left) vs TP5670 (right):

TP5670 mounted:

Dr_T

Piece of ear-plug to reduce dogbone rattle (stole idea from somewhere here on forum :) ):

Mamba XLX form-factor works pretty well in this car. Buggy body still fits (just):

Because everything looks better with carbon fibre and lots of X-es:

Dr_T

Tire comparison; left-to-right: generic FG off-road, stock, GRP F1 rear, GRP F1 front:

Rear GRP F1 tire weight:

Front GRP F1 tire weight:

Stock XB, Vader tire weight:

Dr_T

M6, 15x8x12mm Nutsert (Huelsenmuttern in German) with flanged washer to mount FG style wheels on the old M6 stub wheel-axles:

chapinb

Nice start! Your experience with the tp motor seems similar to mine, although I did very little logging to prove it. Was a massive power house that, in the end heat killed. Needs a large heatsink or water cooling. Ended up with the leopard.

Get some new bearings, all around. The hub carriers esp. Many people will reccomendation the 7075 (for good reason) but you can get by with just quality bearings in the stock. Iv got boca greens seals throughout my rig and they have held up fine.

I would think the leopard with that kv and 13t should be fine for stoc tires. For onroad, probaby a ltitle low. Please keep us updated on it. I kind of wish I went Kershaw over 7075 for the motor mount for the 110 ability, Esp since I have much taller tires.

Plan on the 7075 alum rear diff case at some point. The stock plastic will eventually give under the bigger motor.

Welcome to the forums!

Dr_T

Thanks for the advice!

Yeah, I'll put the 7075 stuff on my wishlist :) . I think I saw there's updated Redcat front carriers too that use bigger bearings.

Interesting you killed a TP motor by overheating. Was it a 58/56xx in the XB?

Dr_T

Making my own battery trays exactly how I wanted them took a bit longer than anticipated, but it's finally done! :)

Did first test-drive on 6S, geared 18/41 on GRP F1 tires for 101 km/h (63 mph) no-load. Drove ok, it doesn't handle as well as the GT2 obviously, but this thing will be fun - the size makes it very impressive. Probably better suited for off-road than the on-road testing I did. Had to end test prematurely, because it seems I have another loose motor shaft on a TP56xx motor... To be continued...

(how do I embed youtube videos here?)

Dr_T

Thanks! Maybe someone with some real CNC skills could start producing them (hint, hint :) ).

Got the motor apart and it looks like the TP5670 shaft was produced by same drunken hobbiest riding a rollercoaster as with my TP5660... I really like the copper content of the TP Power motors and the fact they are 6 poles, but maybe they should start selling them as a kit or 80% RTR version, as the way they attach the rotors to the shafts sucks big time and I would do a better job at it myself...

Besides the sloppy (and what appear to be post-production) flat spots, you can see by the wear mark on the front, that the (minuscule) grub screw wasn't even on the flat spot. In addition, the rear grub screw was not tightened at all. That rear grub screw is actually unreachable now and if it was ever tightened, that could have only be done before the magnets were attached to rotor.

Anywho... reattached the rotor to shaft with some loctite 648 (thanks for the advice Lizard), designed for the bonding of cylindrical fitting parts. Product description even mentions use for holding rotors on electric motor shafts, so hope that it works. It's curing now.

For the meantime, I will change gearing to 66 mph off-road on stock tires, 8S and with an 1165 kv Leopard 5698. Should be nice weather coming days, so might be able to run it before the weekend.

dr_t-albums-vader-pt-ii-picture36327-fullsizerender-29.jpg

dr_t-albums-vader-pt-ii-picture36328-fullsizerender-30.jpg

dr_t-albums-vader-pt-ii-picture36350-fullsizerender-31.jpg

Dr_T

First drive with 2x4Ah 8S DIY Turnigy Heavy Duty lipos. 13/41 gearing for 106 km/h no-load wheel-speed. Drives pretty quick for a flashlight lawnmower! :D

Motor and ESC temps seemed ok, although ambient was only 13 deg C today. Also, motor temp is a bit hard to measure as I can't reach the motor can well with the tempgun. Rear end-bell measured ~60 deg C, but Leopards typically are a bit hollow at back, so on the can the temp would probably have been a bit higher.

Log shows Current peaks of up to 250A with Current limit set to 220A. Average Current throughput is about 80-100A at the running parts. Ripple is nice and low. The 4Ah Turnigy HD cells do sag from 32.2V to 28.9V (.4V/cell) under ~240A load (120A per battery). Curious how the Graphenes would compare, but I need another set of 4Ah 4S packs for that, and they're currently out of stock... to be continued.

RPM data from log shows wheels were turning with about 95-105 km/h at full throttle.

Kershaw's pinion doesn't seem too happy after what actually only adds up to about 7 min of 8S driving.

dr_t-albums-vader-pt-ii-picture36485-img-0437.jpg

dr_t-albums-vader-pt-ii-picture36486-img-0436.jpg

dr_t-albums-vader-pt-ii-picture36487-img-0440.jpg

MSLR

Looking good, nice spread of power. That's a worry about the pinion though as I have just ordered one for my 8s set up.

chapinb

Had poor luck with kershaw hardened pinions on steel spurs in my 1/8 scale stuff. Stay away.

Thank you for logging all of this, it's data that's missing from a 8s build!

Dr_T

Thanks guys! Yeah, too bad about the KD pinions, I actually bought 5 different sizes at same time to save on shipping to EU :D ...

Do you have any recommendations for good pinions? I also got 2 Castle Mod 1.5 pinions, but the grub screws in those are M4 with tiny 2 mm hex, while KD was M5/2.5 mm hex.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts