• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Rampage xb drivetrain

Bhopp

Hey guys, got a little more run time and I'm liking the buggy but, the rolling resistance is high when compared to my baja 5b I mean it's almost like the brake is on when it's not. Is there anyway to fix this, I was thinking maybe the belt drive set up but I don't want to give up top end speed ?

G

Check for binding on the center gears behind the gear plate.

Bhopp

Rampage xb drivetrain

Hey, I greased the shafts before I installed the boca bearings nothing's binding but just doesn't roll as easy that why I was thinking the belt drive to get rid of the resistance from all those gears

BertR

A problem that comes up from time to time after work has been done on the gear plate is that if you over tighten the gears / center layshaft it locks up..loosen the nut on the gears a tiny bit till it relives the lateral tension

G

Yes, it is the 2nd lay shaft that goes threw the brakes. The center diff gears bind if the shaft doesn't have play to slide in and out. It it possible to shim it, but it's easier to just let it float. When set up right the vehicle will roll smoothly with less resistance.

Bhopp

Hey guys, I got a good run in, my kitty cat looks like it running good now. With a fuelie cy26 and the stock can, no tuned pipe and 31-29-26-24 gears I'm guessing 37mph and I don't think she got a screaming tune in but its good. Does that sound about right and with more power and gears can get that magic 65 or close?

phreerider

wow 65mph? u need a mountain of HP and hi rpm mill! the gears are a fix dimension. so its somewhat limited... definitely sounds like custom stuff like jumping into a tall belt drive or 2speed to get that kind speed.

the 37 sounds good, a tuned pipe and you'll break 40 easily. not much more than 42/43 in my experience, tire size up abit and that will help. if you hit 65 definitely want to hear about it.

Ildy666

phreerider said:
wow 65mph? u need a mountain of HP and hi rpm mill! the gears are a fix dimension. so its somewhat limited... definitely sounds like custom stuff like jumping into a tall belt drive or 2speed to get that kind speed. the 37 sounds good, a tuned pipe and you'll break 40 easily. not much more than 42/43 in my experience, tire size up abit and that will help. if you hit 65 definitely want to hear about it.
U would need a mountain to drop it off of for 65 mph.45-50 but 65 is a stretch IMO.....good luck....

G

Ildy666 said:
U would need a mountain to drop it off of for 65 mph.45-50 but 65 is a stretch IMO.....good luck....
Yep you would need a big block 40cc or larger. Then, some custom made gearing. The current tallest setup is 35-25 and you will run out of rpms in the low 50s.

G

No way... LOL

Maybe if Demon RC was able to make a ratio high enough. The BZM has the power but again you are limited by the RPMs.

claude bigelow

With that type of power will you be able to do anything but wheelie? I watched a video on YouTube with a 70cc motor and it seems like he couldn't even go half throttle. Seems pointless..

G

It is way overkill.

Check out the vids where it is in a 4WD. There are a few in a 5ive. They don't wheelie. The Baja is lighter with a more efficient drive train, plus, the engine is in the back. This makes for a wheelie monster with that kind of power.

In a 2WD you can only run on high traction surfaces, like sand with paddles.

G

There are a few engines coming out in the 40cc range. Power in the tune of 12-17 hp range.

I can't wait!

Silent_chaos

Like RCDAD said, 70CC RCMax is only enjoyable on a Losi 5t with Wide extended wheels.

other than that you'll keep spinning sideways and end up doing a wheelie and flipping the car backwards and breaking parts.

that's why in the video, the guy driving the HPI has a custom built chassis with Fully welded all around protection cage. ( you don't wanna damage the your 2500$ engine)

I have couple of Japanese friends (on facebook), I pmed them to ask about the 70cc, they all use HPI Baja 5B and 5T. they enjoy doing wheelies and bashing the car sideways, they hate 4wd cars. It's really not enjoyable putting that much of power in 2wd, you can't even drive with full throttle (still wondering how they enjoy it)

Last edited by a moderator:
G

OBR has a 38 & 40 cc coming out.

RCMAX has their 46cc

40cc Evolution engine from Scott Finlay

The last one, I am very interested in.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online