• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Rampage XB 30cc will not move

Albert

I recently purchased a brand new XB 30cc and right out of the box. It started just fine and all the electronics and servo's are working. But it will not move hardly at all, even at half throttle it barley moves forward. Any idea's ? any help will really be appreciated.

Albert

Yes it move's freely with out the motor running. when running it seems as though the clutch is barley grabbing.

G

How does it go with more throttle? The clutch won't engage until 6000 rpm. You will be able to rev it some with out it moving.

Albert

Yeah we are well past half throttle.......the little things screaming ! The engine manual says not to exceed 5000 rpm for the first 4 hrs........my brother called tech support for me and got nowhere I will call myself. they told him to idle the motor thru 5 tank's then adjust the carb ???? that does not make any sense at all!!! there is plenty of rpm. I really don't even want to deal with it. I bought this brand new RTR they should just exchange for me?

BertR

I would say you have a loose set screw behind one of the gears.don't let it sit and idle there is no need to do that after the first tank or two drive it like you stole it. I'm sure most senior members will agree

G

You were misinformed. At 5000 rpm it won't even drive since it comes with a 6000 rpm clutch. RTR means ready to rebuild for all large scale platforms. One of the very first steps out if th box is to remove every screw and add loctite to all those that thread into metal. The factory does not test every model before they are packaged up. Half the fun of the hobby is the wrenching that is involved.

Here is a pre-run check list. http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/showthread.php?t=25

Albert

OK, I do understand, as I have built and flown nitro heli's. My brother actually purchased this Buggy. he is not actually a hobbyist nor does he have any mechanical ability "ZERO" so I guess I had better dig in here That's great. :( ......well thank you very much I'm going to take it outside now...and try laying into it a bit.......then I will attempt to do this "Re-build" for him and get him going here. Do you know of any specific adjustments pertaining to clutch or drivetrain.?? thanks

G

There really is not anything that needs to be adjusted in the drivetrain. Going through the vehicle will help discover any screws that might have been under-tightened.

The set screws on the square gear drives, and drive cups are commonly found to be left loose.

The Redcat is one of the most easy platforms to work on. If your brother has the interest he will pick it up in no time. Good luck!

Albert

OK, Thanks. By any chance would there happen to be a thread or other site that you know of with the entire build detailed. the instructions that came with the "kit" leaves some to be desired :) ..........

Albert

Ok! I took it out and ran it regardless of the rpm the car just creeps along. I ran it w/o the gear cover on and observed that all gears are turning (slowly) and all seem tight to the shaft's. I found no loose set screws........I did notice that even at full throttle the clutch bell is not turning .........it seems as though the clutch is only engaging a very tiny bit and only at about 1/4 throttle any more throttle and the buggy stops. it's only traveling about 2 mph at 1/4 throttle and that's it. is it possible the clutch may be defective or installed improperly?? this clutch is just not engaging....do you guy's think I should send it back for repair seeing how it is brand spanking new.

Albert

I'm sorry guy's I must add to my last post interestingly enough all gears including the clutch housing "Bell"?? do turn if I push the buggy along with the motor off or if I grab the clutch with my fingers and turn it, it does move the car. Yet when running I can hear the crank end of the engine "clutch liner"??? turning inside the housing...any more Ideas.?....I kinda feel like taking it apart now.....thank you

G

You are going to need to pull the motor and take a look at the clutch.

Ildy666

+1 what RCDAD said if u can move the clutch and the cars moves.ur problem is the motor to clutch connection.still got to pull motor.i know its brand new and ur thinkin WTF why should i.but we all have these set backs and just got deal with them.FYI my mt blew 3 diff cups and a head gasket after i just got it.i was pissed but the forum calms u down...lol...good luck dude....

krebidoux

you think you got bad instruction manual with yours? mine came with an instruction manual for the twister buggy, hows that gonna help me with a xb?

Albert

Thanks I took it apart and indeed the clutch is just spinning on the end of the crank. does any one know how to repair this......the motor must come out??....I don't think there is very much about that in the manual.

Albert

OK I got the clutch and clutch connector off. I used a small wooden wedge to hold the crank and friction "gear" from turning while I unbolted the clutch(friction gear). I hope that was OK did not seem to stress anything this way??........Im surprised to find that the end of the crank is like a cone of sorts and that the "clutch connector" is kinda just wedged onto the end of this crank and forced with a center screw??? can I understand it that once tightened this will stay??....possibly due to the counter rotation of the motor???????....Is this the norm for this type of clutch??....how much should I torque this "sunk screw" as named in the motor manual breakdown.?????HELP

G

That is how all clutch plates are mounted to the crank.

Here is a torque chart for ya.

-

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts