• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Rampage vs. Baja

MOfroggy

I am going to go out on a limb here and make some assumptions:

There a few Rampage forum members that have Baja's too.

Those that own both have had enough time to form opinions of the two vehicles.

Now assume that what you say here stays here and nobody else besides the members of this forum will read what you say.

The question is....what do you like or dislike about the Rampage vs. the Baja.

I will go first:

The Rampage MT5 is less expensive initially.

I like the "open architecture" of the Rampage. It is probably 3.789 times as easy to work on as a Baja.

I like the fact that it is 4 WD.

I like the fact that it seems to handle better on a tight track (It turns and responds to steering input better, probably due to the 4WD aspect)

I like the fact that it will take a bashing beating better than a Baja.

I like the fact that the tires and wheels are readily adaptable to the Baja tires and wheels.

Now for the part that may get this post booted into the nether world:

(With the caveat that Rob and Redcat are going to address these problems in their usual, customer friendly service manner!!):

The frame flexes. I am not sure I have enough experience to know if this is going to be a problem. But it does flex.

The thing eats C & D gears like peanuts (at least where I run). And yes I put on the free gears I was sent.

I don't like the fact that you have to do a major job to get to the clutch. You have to remove the motor (....easiest way) or remove the gear assembly.

I don't like the roll cage design. On the starter side it is too close to the motor and putting on the nearly mandatory outerwears starter cover is a PITA . The screws in the cage from the underside aren't sufficient and will give up on you in a roll over.

The air filter design leaves a lot to be desired.

The stock 23 motor that comes with it is way underpowered to move the weight of the truck and Redcat had to know that going in. (In my opinion, a stock 23 on a Baja with the right pipe is all you need).

The stock exhaust sucks. (Just like it does on the Baja).

The electronics box is a PITA to get into. (Why does it require 2 different hexes to get into?)

The MT5 body curls up when subjected to normal heat from the stock motor and stock exhaust.

NOW BEFORE YOU GET ALL UPSET......Some of the problems I list above are being fixed or are readily fixable by anybody who has been into RC's more than 2 months and has a pit box with more than 1 tool in it. Hop up's are on the way and Rob has addressed some of the problems or offered viable fixes for free to "earlier adapters"

It was discussed today by myself and another Rampage/Baja owner after running Baja's and the rampages side by side on the same track, which one would you get? If I had to pick between the Rampage and the Baja, I would pick the Rampage MT5. (But...I would put a bigger motor and Baja tires on it!). I think you get more for your money, it handles better for me, hop ups for it will be coming soon, it is easier to work on and Rob's and Redcat's customer service are second to none.

=====

MOfroggy

Last edited by a moderator:

Sprint 77

Contributor
I agree with the above, I think another good feature is the weight balance it is way more even than the rear heavy Baja.

I will deal with its problems because in all it is easier to work on.

Gas Jocky

I've got 4 different models, a Rampage, 5b, MCD B 1000, and a Smartech Thunderbolt. My first large scale was a 5b and IMO it's the model that took me away from nitro! That being said there was a need for a 4wd in the mix, so I bucked up and bought an MCD , a very expensive model but well worth the cash. Comparing the the 4 that I have, they all have there place. In the beginning the 5b just like the Rampage had/has growing pains and with the support of aftermarket guys like Rob it will become the best bang for the buck!

lancier

A way good analysis on the two models MOfroggy! I thinks the pros and cons on the Rampage MT5 are far better than the Baja 5B. The minor issues on the MT5 can be addressed with a little time spent in the pitt. My money will surely go for the Rampage MT5! :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.