• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

rampage tt5 or the hpi baja ss

ianjdixon

hi everyone, i am getting ready to buy a 5th scale. of course i am a member of the hpi baja forum, cuz i am trying to do my homework on different models?

what should i buy? the rampage buggy or the baja 5b ss? how does the rampage do for bashing? for racing? how durable is it compared to the hpi baja 5b ss?

kdfi

Hi there,

I have had both. I will tell you IMO, the baja is way more durable out of the box. With the recommend hopups stated in this fourm the rampage will be just as durrable and way more fun to drive. Since the TT5 needs hop ups right out of the box, it will end up costing you almost as much or more than a 5bss, depending on what you upgrade.

I switched to 5b HD shocks or use phatdads kits (phatdads are on back order for 4 weeks). My stock shocks broke on the third jump.

also a rampage upgrade kit (some dealers will throw this in for free)

might want to change the servos

the engine in the ss is a 26cc as the tt is a 23cc. So the ss would be faster I would think.

I had to have a pipe too.

With my upgrades I am still about 100 less than a 5bss, but will pass it soon.

a hpi 5b filter is next for me along with a hitech 645 thottle servo.

There are other upgrades that the more seasond guys can help you with.

chucked

I agree 100% with kdfi, but I would also recommend the aluminum gear plate and converting to hpi wheels.

cable97526

chucked said:
I agree 100% with kdfi, but I would also recommend the aluminum gear plate and converting to hpi wheels.
Boy what changed your attitude so quickly?

As per the question I absolutely love my MT and like I said before I SOLD my 2 wheeler becuase the 4x4 so far outweighs 2wd in comparison in almost every way. The 5B is Faster AT FIRST but after a little modding and some tricks the TT will eat it alive because of the 4 wheel drivetrain. Hope this helps.

emu67

I have both as well. I run on a large 8th scale track so love the 4 wheel drive of the rampage much more than the baja. Baja is pretty durable, probably more so than the rampage, but I'd vote for the TT5 before the Baja because of the 4 wheel drive.

kryptonite

i have both. and i also believe the 5b is more durable out of the box.. but it still needs plenty of stuff. out of the box the 5b ss needs, gear plate, upgraded shock shafts, axel extenders(rims rub), throttle servo and maybe a steering servo, plus radio gear and reciever batery. 5b tires wont last but maybe 2 tanks, 3 if your easy on it. also ss pipe is crap and melts at the header.

the tt has rim problems(by some) but not the mt, the upgraded gear plate has been working for me, servo's are junk, i havent had a problem with shocks, 2-25 tooth gears melt(mcd,s work perfect). but it all depends on how you run it. the 4 wheel drive is a blast and worth the upgrades for me.. im at 1200 with mine(including rig) and i have all alum and a hot mill. if you don't mind doing the upgrades, go for the tt/mt.. you will still have to upgrade the 5b, but you wont have as much fun with the 2wd.

kdfi

kryp,

Are those mcd 25 gears made of a better plastic? I noticed my stock 25t gears starting to wear.

Last edited by a moderator:

kryptonite

kdfi said:
kryp,
Are those mcd 25 gears made of a better plastic? I noticed my stock 25t gears starting to wear.
yes, and not only that but the gear mesh is perfect. i have 4 tanks thru mine and they still look brand new.

chucked

My mind hasn't really changed, that $700 buggy is really a $1200 buggy. I'm just pissed I have to tell customers it wont last long in stock form. Its either before they buy it, or when they are pissed off after its broke after 10 minutes of run time and they just spent $700.

RampageHopUps

Always better to tell them up front. I also ask if its their first RC truck, and see what they say. I would hate to sell one to a noob, then find out he can't use it.

Piranha2

Contributor
10 minutes? I've run 4 tanks thru mine with only a pin falling out of a dogbone which wouldn't have happened if I did what this forum told me to do! That's why sometimes I don't understand what all the problems are. I've hit boulders, curbs, ice bankings and all this in frigid temps. This truck is our BEST one yet out of all our RC's !!!

chucked

Yea, they should come without the th servo, they will ask whats wrong with it then ponder what else is wrong with it off the get-go

mooman007uk

Banned
Yeah I guess it's a hard sell to try explaining to someone who walks in the door that you need this and that before you start if they're newbies to largescale, however those of us who run other 5th scale cars think $12-1500 is an awesome price for a fully upgraded vehicle that can handle some serious abuse considering what we've spent on other brands to get them to the same state.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts