• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Rampage TT Brushless conversion w/ Neu 2230 about to begin. lots of questions

aqwut

Finished the rear mounts for the motor...

All that's left to be done is figuring a way to mount the batteries, get new steering servo and cutting excess aluminum from the front mounts..

And this is the Coupler thingy...

Little sample video..

aqwut

Had some time today to work on a new steering servo mount, the one that was on there couldn't fit my Hitec 805BB... not that the 805BB is the greatest servo.. I just happen to have 2 of them laying around..

And here's a short video of the truck with motor set to 356KV and 100A ESC.., I still have battery trays to rig up.. This 2 pole motor has no cogging issues at all and is fully capable of moving sllooooowww..

Last edited by a moderator:

aqwut

catchaser said:
Holy shit that's awesome. I gotta see this thing running.
I should be able to finish the battery mounts and everything by tomorrow.. I'll have a good video tomorrow...

Kaz the Minotaur

I like that plastic that you made the rear mount and steering mount out of. How thick is it and where did you get it?

aqwut

roccos_van said:
Dude you rock I really can see your hard work paying off big time. Congrats.
Thanks man, all this gratitude makes me feel like I won the Lottery.. hahaa I'm glad you like it man.

Kaz the Minotaur said:
I like that plastic that you made the rear mount and steering mount out of. How thick is it and where did you get it?
That's Something like UHMW, but a bit harder.. it's 1/2" thick.. and I got it from work's scrap bin.... UHMW would work just as good.. I'll be making one out of aluminum when I feel that I am up to it.. I really don't want to put a 1/2" thick aluminum through my 8" band saw...

max 1

I like the sound and smell of a 2cyl motor ,but thats pretty cool set up.keep up the good work dud.

aqwut

max 1 said:
I like the sound and smell of a 2cyl motor ,but thats pretty cool set up.keep up the good work dud.
I love the runtime and cost to run Petrol... Thanks..

aqwut

Well I have a video of the truck running for the first Trial.. Area is way too small and my spektrum's range just sucks.. period.. Truck could've been a tad quicker, but I don't want to fry the $100 ESC..

This was the problem at the end... Thank God it wasn't anything else...

Video was kinda lame, but a much better one is sure to come...

aqwut

fastlane said:
that's badass what does a set up like that cost?
That setup right there is about..

Motor $800

ESC $100

Batteries $200

but, the ESC that will be going into is is about $700 as well.. I have to say, them Zippy batteries work great for the dirt cheap price...

Kaz the Minotaur said:
Costs will vary widely depending on what motor / ESC / batteries you are using.
It looks good so far.
Thanks man, I just finished the battery mounts today... I only need to mount the ESC and I'm good...

DemonRC

Dude that thing has monster torque. I love it! I would try running 27/33 gears in that thing. I got two sets of spare 27/33 MCD gears if you want them. I'll be looking forward to more vids :)

Oh hey, what kinda runs times to you expect to get?

aqwut

catchaser said:
Dude that thing has monster torque. I love it! I would try running 27/33 gears in that thing. I got two sets of spare 27/33 MCD gears if you want them. I'll be looking forward to more vids :)
Oh hey, what kinda runs times to you expect to get?
The person I purchased the truck from included a whole snot load of Redcat and MCD gear combos, thanks for the offer man.... I'm thinkin of trying 27/33 then 29/31... I'm hoping to stay at 30/30 and 25/25.. that way I only have to buy 2 different sizes... Because this motor has not problems running any of the gearings..

Problem the gear stripped was... wrong gear meshing.. It was suppose to be 25/25 for the transfer gears... but I had 25/24, no wonder it had more slack than the other gears...

With 12S 5000mAh, I'm hoping to get about 20 minutes of bash time.. and maybe 15 minutes race time... (fingers crossed) But no worries, I have lots of packs...

Kaz the Minotaur said:
Yeah, I am hoping that the Zippy batteries work out for me. I got (4) 5S, 5000 mah, 30C batteries.
Dude, you won't have any issues with those batteries... You are running 12S.... on that trial video I was using 12S Rhino 3700mAh 25C.. batteries weren't even warm.. With my A/C amp meter, I was only pulling about 70Amps when holding the truck still and giving her slow throttle and quick throttle... What KV was your motor again?..

aqwut

This is how I will be mounting the batteries.. battery mound and tray...

I used up all the stock holes... Did not modify the chassis in any way...

I updated the battery tray...

aqwut

Here's the rest of the pictures of the finished truck..

Here's a Video, it's a little DARK.. will get a day video tomorrow...

5 minutes of runtime in the front yard, and 7 minutes of runtime in the backyard..

Lipo took about 2150mAh charge... so I should get about 20 minutes with this gearing... 27/33.. and 12S1P 5000mAh...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.