• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Rampage TT Brushless conversion w/ Neu 2230 about to begin. lots of questions

LongShank

i have been building 1/8 brushless trucks/buggies for the past year and have really wanted to do a 1/5 scale build and i am finally starting. this will be my first 1/5 scale. i was really tempted to leave it gas cuz i love how they sound but i enjoy the challenge of doing custom work.

my TT V2 roller arrives tomorrow and throughout the week i will be recieving many parts, etc.

because i am new to 1/5 i have a lot of questions about the different brands parts and which are compatible with the Rampage.

for example, can anyone tell me if the AMS hydraulic brake kits for the 5B will work on the rampage also? don't they both have the same wheel hex size?

and the most important thing i will be changing is the center diff. does anyone out there have a 1/5 smartech titan or other smartech that can tell me the length of the assembled center diff from the tip of each outdrive?

one more thing: does anyone know the diameter of the shock bodies to both the baja 5b ?

DemonRC

Congratz on the new Rampage. I don't know the answer to your other questions but I can tell you about the hex sizes. The Baja hex (24mm) and Rampage hex (22 mm) are different, however, you can put the baja rear hexes on all four corners of the Rampage with no modding. Also, I don't think the AMS brake will mount to the Rampage because it's caliper is built to mount to the Baja's steering knuckle. You may be able to make a bracket for it though.

Also, I'll have to measure the shock body when I get home. I do know the Rampage and Baja shock bodies are identical though.

hamster huey

Why don't you wait for the Savage 5T 1/5 to hit the US? Its already in Europe, Asia, and Australia, etc. Seeing how the base is a Savage it will be easy to convert to a Savage Flux 5T. With a kershaw designs tranny kit the 3 speed can be retained if it doesn't explode. I thought about a Ramp brushless but its hard and very expensive to get a lighter, more effecient 2wd 5b to work as brushless so I wonder if it could even be done on a heavier less effecient 4wd? The savage 5t Flux 1/5 would way outperform the brushless Ramp or brushless baja and way cheaper.

hamster huey

How is this project coming along? I am very curious. I know it can be done but for how much, how well will it perform, and how reliable will it be?

Kaz the Minotaur

He and I are both working along on our conversions.

I'm running Baja front brakes on my Rampage. I hope to get the ESC and radio box mounted tonight.

I'm probably into it for $1000.

kryptonite

he has some pics on the hpi forum. i cant wait to see these things rip along. you guys have to get some pics up here for us.

aqwut

Here's to add to your build LongShank.. :)

Hello, finally had a chance to pick up my newly used rampage MT.

The Plan...

Motor: Lehner 3080-8 (approximately 750KV)..

ESC: Schulze 40.300WK and/or Castle SHV 240

Batteries: 12S 5000mAh 25C PolyQuest (Maybe some 35C Hyperions in the near future)

Here's a comparison shot of the Rampage vs a Revo... The wheels on that thing just makes it look huge. But this sucker is much heavier than a Firehammer or a Baja 5B..

And the conversion begins... it won't be anything super amazing or or precise... I'll do the best I can with a bandsaw, drill press and files.

This is how I would like the motor to sit... This way, I would be able to use stock gearing... I'll have to figure a way on how to mount this motor in this position.. I already have an idea in mind....

I'll keep posting updates of the progress.. I'm hoping to finish this within a week... I just need someone to make me a sleeve.. that's all, I'll see if a buddy a work could do this...

Last edited by a moderator:

aqwut

Now I had to cut the sheet to size that I needed, I made it a little bit bigger because you can always cut some off later... Made the mounting holes for the 3080 motor, and made sure everything was centered...

Now I had to make cut down the original sleeves to bolt the aluminum motor mount onto the stock Motor Mount...

The hard part is pretty much done.. All I have to do now is mount the motor and wait for the sleeve to come in... I had to cut the original clutch bell, because the sleeve/collet will all attach the 10mm LMT 3080 Shaft to the cut shaft from the bell shaft... Hard for me to explain.. here's what I did..

All that has to be done is making some extra support for the mount, and wait for the arrival of the Sleeve... Soon as it gets here, this baby will be operable..

Kaz the Minotaur

Nice. I'm not following you on the sleeve thing.

How are you going to surrport the rear of the motor?

What is the continuous and surege watt rating on the motor?

aqwut

Kaz the Minotaur said:
Nice. I'm not following you on the sleeve thing.
How are you going to surrport the rear of the motor?

What is the continuous and surege watt rating on the motor?
It's not called a sleeve.. sorry, I couldn't think of the name of it.. it's a coupler that will attach the Brushless motor to the cut off shaft..

I will be making the rear support for the motor tonight... and there will be a brace that will support the front end of the motor as well..

The motor can do 300 Amps continuous up to 50K rpm...... That's the beauty of these Hi-Amp motors... I'm not sure about the surge rating..

Kaz the Minotaur

She will be a hellin across the yard! :D

Are you going to do 12S1P or 2P on the batteries? 2P is the only way you will get 300A though... ?

aqwut

Kaz the Minotaur said:
She will be a hellin across the yard! :D
Are you going to do 12S1P or 2P on the batteries? 2P is the only way you will get 300A though... ?
it obviously won't draw more than 200A.. I'm hoping to have some left over cash to get the new G3s... But I'm sure 12S1P would be plenty for now... But I will not hesitate to try out 12S2P 10000mAh 25C... :D

aqwut

Finished the rear mounts for the motor...

All that's left to be done is figuring a way to mount the batteries, get new steering servo and cutting excess aluminum from the front mounts..

And this is the Coupler thingy...

Little sample video..

:mdr:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.