• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Rampage MT Rolling issues

pfrederi1

Hello All. Im not sure if anyone else experiencs this with their MT but i have ton a power but the truck seems to struggle to apply the power to the ground or should i say i struggles like it has a lot of rolling resistance. When i hit the throttle it gets up and go but if i let off it rolls freely but you can telll the wheels are wobbling and those big tires are like causing a big drag. Im wondering oif theres a way to true up the alignment and not make the wheels wobble so much so that it runs smoother. Again i know its a monster truck but i know this can be improved.

I notice the front wheels wobble a lot and ive tried adjusting te linkage but doidnt really do much. Is there a way for the front steering linkage to be stiffer to keep the truck running true and not have the wheels wobble so much. Im planning on installing another steeriing servo (D845) so that two servos might help keep her steady. Any input??

Any help would be appreciated.

V8srfun

Where is the wobble coming from is it in the linkage or possibly the wheel bearings. Lightly shake the front end down and watch the components. You should be able to easily isolate the problem and replace part or parts as necessary. Just remember that these trucks are supposed to be a little loose and there will always be some play in the steering and suspension components.

pfrederi1

Thanks V8srfun
Most of the play is in the steering linkage which Ive replaced already. I plan to put in another hitec 845 servo to have two servos in there (like impalassman did) maybe that will help keep it a bit more steady. But then that still leaves the wheels which do have a lil wobble in them as well, but i realize its a monster truck and not a ferrari. I guess ill see maybe about changing out the wheels as well.

V8srfun

I have some wobble in the wheel bearings that I am going to try to fix with better bearings in the future. But it is not bad enough at this time for me to want to spend money on bearings that may or may not change anything.

biggo

Thanks V8srfun
Most of the play is in the steering linkage which Ive replaced already. I plan to put in another hitec 845 servo to have two servos in there (like impalassman did) maybe that will help keep it a bit more steady. But then that still leaves the wheels which do have a lil wobble in them as well, but i realize its a monster truck and not a ferrari. I guess ill see maybe about changing out the wheels as well.

How old are the wheels? When the foam starts breaking down they start to look flat and will cause problems.

pfrederi1

Hey biggo. The wheels are fairly new still got a lot of meat on them to. It just rolls sluggish. If i get back to have two steering servos in there i think it will roll a lil better and have more power in steering. It seemed to roll better when i first got it out the box with two servos. But those were the stock servos system (non lipo)

V8srfun

Having one or two steering servo’s should only effect steering power not rolling resistance. The same goes with the tires the foam may make it handle different but should not have any effect on how much play is in the steering system. These trucks are built loose and will never run perfectly true but you can minimize it by isolating worn parts.
If you have up+down and side to side play at the wheels it is most likely wheel bearings but I can not personally say that aftermarket ones are any better because I have never used them.

If you only have up and down play it is probably in one of the control arms

If you have just side to side play it is in the steering linkage or servo. But check to see if both sides have the same amount of play because that can help you isolate the issue.

Now you can also have other drive line issues that would increase rolling resistance and have no effect on the wheels. Check your clutch, primary drive gears, transfer case, and differentials for abnormal operation. It is basically a trial and error approach just systematically check component by component until you find the issue.

pfrederi1

Hey Thanks biggo. Ill keep that in mind. I put that on the back burner for now. I got bigger issues than the rolling issues right now but definitely appreciate the input.

Thx

biggo

Hey Thanks biggo. Ill keep that in mind. I put that on the back burner for now. I got bigger issues than the rolling issues right now but definitely appreciate the input.

Thx

Hey pfrederi1, when you get back around to it, check the tune on your carb. My cousins XT had the same problem, fixed the tune and things taking off like a monster now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online