• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Rampage MT Electric Conversion

Rcaddict1$

Hi all new to the Forum just purchased a rampage mt roller want to make it electric need help with a conversion kit yes i know kershaw is not an option who else could i purchase this from or who can make me one love the forum alot of knowledge here thanks for the help if any....

G-Man

Ya @WoodiE is right. I have yet to find a company that makes the conversion. Best bet is to look online for a roller converted already. I saw a couple on fb. I actually just built one from there. It had a Kershaw conversion already in there. I just beefed up the drivetrain and servo etc.

Hi all new to the Forum just purchased a rampage mt roller want to make it electric need help with a conversion kit yes i know kershaw is not an option who else could i purchase this from or who can make me one love the forum alot of knowledge here thanks for the help if any....
I l
i can help if your still interested

I l

i can help if your still interested
If anyone is interested for that matter. I just finished making a conversion kit worthy of resale. However im also willing to shar my photos and knowledge but part acquisition and machining well be on each ones self. Indis it all with patience and a dremelmand im pleased to see its functional and beautiful

Ive also just completed my electric conversion. Ive been beta testing it for about a month now and the build is solid!!! It looks good and is very easy to do. The only problem ive been having is I keep shredding tires lol! No joke, the power is unreal... i have to find a suitable tire replacement that can handle the abuse. I would also be willing to impart my knowledge with my conversion. Its a clean build, looks good, and part acquisition is easy. If anyone is interested please respond. I will share my build list along with photos.

Ive also just completed my electric conversion. Ive been beta testing it for about a month now and the build is solid!!! It looks good and is very easy to do. The only problem ive been having is I keep shredding tires lol! No joke, the power is unreal... i have to find a suitable tire replacement that can handle the abuse. I would also be willing to impart my knowledge with my conversion. Its a clean build, looks good, and part acquisition is easy. If anyone is interested please respond. I will share my build list along with photos.
I forgot to add that I managed to use an Xmaxx body, which isn't a big deal, what is cool is that ive managed to figure out how to keep the easy lock system intact. Makes taking the body off and on a breeze!

G-Man

Pics?

Certainly,

Ive attached a few photos of the completed project. Unfortunately i don’t really have many from the before to after phase other than my kids holding the 32cc engine when it came out and my oldest son struggling to hold the rolling chassis, lol ? anyway I digress.

Attachments

• 3AAC569E-C1A8-4781-A8A6-F2CD04CE42C4.jpeg
    3AAC569E-C1A8-4781-A8A6-F2CD04CE42C4.jpeg
    348.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 81ACE818-BC78-45EB-AF0E-2C35E35E5A3D.jpeg
    81ACE818-BC78-45EB-AF0E-2C35E35E5A3D.jpeg
    360.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 96BD360C-774E-4018-B27A-835B497D466B.jpeg
    96BD360C-774E-4018-B27A-835B497D466B.jpeg
    383.7 KB · Views: 99
  • EB88A480-9CA0-4008-B1E4-B791EF2895F9.jpeg
    EB88A480-9CA0-4008-B1E4-B791EF2895F9.jpeg
    331.1 KB · Views: 72
  • FA7B3202-33AB-43BC-BAAC-F028D242A91C.jpeg
    FA7B3202-33AB-43BC-BAAC-F028D242A91C.jpeg
    209.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 731696A5-40AE-41FF-8218-3152CCD0CE34.jpeg
    731696A5-40AE-41FF-8218-3152CCD0CE34.jpeg
    285.1 KB · Views: 67
The beast being suspended from the rope is just to show how strong the hold is with the traxxas xmaxx quick clip design plus a minor modification to mate up beautifully to the rampage mt chassis. I chose 160amp ESC and a 700kv brushless 1/5 scale motor from leopard hobby. I ditched the factory gears and i went with a 67 tooth spur gear on a Losi center diff from the MTXL. I swapped the diff oil to traxxas 20 million weight because it would diff out really bad and rip the rubber of the tires right off the bead locks... problem solved ?. That was my basic setup for a rolling chassis. Everything else is a bit more detailed.

G-Man

Certainly,

Ive attached a few photos of the completed project. Unfortunately i don’t really have many from the before to after phase other than my kids holding the 32cc engine when it came out and my oldest son struggling to hold the rolling chassis, lol ? anyway I digress.
Looks good! Nice work. Great idea with the mtxl spur and CD. I have seen a couple guys use the dbxl-e motor mount and cd before. I always wondered if they had enough torque using the smaller spur. I know you have a ton of torque using that 67T because I have a Kershaw conversion in mine with a 68T spur. It wheelies on command lol. One thing I will recommend for you to use is the dbxl-e center diff cup, it is aluminum and steel. Those plastic cups melt. I melted mine in my mtxl not too long into owning it. The mtxl spur will bolt right on that dbxl-e cd cup.

G-Man

The beast being suspended from the rope is just to show how strong the hold is with the traxxas xmaxx quick clip design plus a minor modification to mate up beautifully to the rampage mt chassis. I chose 160amp ESC and a 700kv brushless 1/5 scale motor from leopard hobby. I ditched the factory gears and i went with a 67 tooth spur gear on a Losi center diff from the MTXL. I swapped the diff oil to traxxas 20 million weight because it would diff out really bad and rip the rubber of the tires right off the bead locks... problem solved ?. That was my basic setup for a rolling chassis. Everything else is a bit more detailed.
Here is a pic of the dbxl-e cd cup bolted up to the 68T spur in my mtxl 20190221_175931.jpg 20190222_002807.jpg

Oh wow ? that looks great ? i was wondering if that diff cup would work or not but i only found unanswered questions, so thanks for that. I like your spur gear cover too, that must have been the Kershaw kit...? Im running an 18t pinion gear and that seems to be a happy medium for me. On 8S it is almost impossible to keep the front end down even with the batteries up front how i have them. I estimate 40-45 mph max and it certainly gets there quickly. Im definitely going to pick up one of those diff cups now. I really want a little more aluminum parts on mine, I figured id test everything out with cheapo plastic first and upgrade from there. Im quite pleased with performance so next step is bulletproof I suppose. Thanks for the info and the decent comments on my build. Keep on bashing ?

G-Man

That is a picture of my mtxl showing you the dbxl-e cd cup works in place of the plastic cd cup. I have a kershaw conversion in my rampage mt which has no covers at all

Hey biggo... i can answer that, the current MTXL is slated to be discontinued so whatever is in stock in stores will still be around. Now ive heard buzz that Losi is looking at upgrading/remodeling it so it wouldn’t surprise me if we saw it again in the future as say like a version 2.0 or something like the 5t. Now i will say this the MTXL and the DBXL are essentially the same vehicle. They have a lions share of parts in common. Only difference i can think of is the spur/pinion gear, tires/wheels, body, body posts, and bumpers. My thought is Losi wants to make the MTXL more of its own vehicle. Not just a DBXL on steroids. Opinions?

G-Man

G-Man, do you know if Losi discontinued the MTXL? I can't find it on their website and my LHS has one. I really wanted one but was waiting. Now I don't know what to do. Also heard it was the same as the DBXL.
Sadly I think Horizon has discontinued the Losi MTXL. Been hearing the same question asked all over the place. I'd say if you want one get one now. There are all sorts of aftermarket support for Losi. Although you are correct, the MTXL is based off the DBXL. So most of the upgrades are DBXL based. I have one and love that truck. I put a signature series g340 reed OBR engine in it. Pushing close to 10hp. I did upgrade the drivetrain big time with FID parts to handle it. Now I'm snapping dogbone pins. I will say even in stock form the MTXL is a blast to drive. Check it out 20190303_112025.jpg

G-Man

Hey biggo... i can answer that, the current MTXL is slated to be discontinued so whatever is in stock in stores will still be around. Now ive heard buzz that Losi is looking at upgrading/remodeling it so it wouldn’t surprise me if we saw it again in the future as say like a version 2.0 or something like the 5t. Now i will say this the MTXL and the DBXL are essentially the same vehicle. They have a lions share of parts in common. Only difference i can think of is the spur/pinion gear, tires/wheels, body, body posts, and bumpers. My thought is Losi wants to make the MTXL more of its own vehicle. Not just a DBXL on steroids. Opinions?
The MTXL uses a lot of the same parts, yes. But the arms are longer, obviously the shafts have to be longer, the chassis is longer. But the diffs, shock towers, brakes etc are the same. The MTXL uses a 67T spur, DBXL 61T. With some upgrades the MTXL is formidable IMO.

biggo

Appreciate the quick replies guys. This really sucks. Price tag is $1,100 at LHS. I hope they are planning to revamp and re-release it. The MTXL was 100% gonna be my next rc. Tough decisions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.