• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Rampage MT CVA Axle Upgrade

G-Man

I am having problems with the stock MT CVA Axles. They don't hold up at all on my rig. I have snapped the shaft, broke the pivot points, lost pins out of the pivot(which I have since resolved). My question is is there an upgraded axle to be used in the stockers place? I can't seem to find any info

Deluge

This has been an issue on the MT for a while now, the axles don't hold up well if you do a lot of jumping and land with the throttle pegged. As far as I know, the only upgrade out there is to modify a set from another 5th scale, like an MCD. But I don't know if they have those shafts available anymore, I haven't looked in a while.

G-Man

This has been an issue on the MT for a while now, the axles don't hold up well if you do a lot of jumping and land with the throttle pegged. As far as I know, the only upgrade out there is to modify a set from another 5th scale, like an MCD. But I don't know if they have those shafts available anymore, I haven't looked in a while.
Thanks man. I don't jump and land on throttle. Made that mistake before and learned. I broke a rear axle ripping around in a field this last time. This is the question I should have asked. Does anybody run another manufacturer's axle with success? and which one?. I realize the bearings may need specially made to fit in the MT knuckles etc. but looking for something more heavy duty.

G-Man

Man I can't upload a picture, but I snapped the axle shaft 1 inch down on the dogbone end. I upgraded to the 7075rc sleeved diff. drive cups. I am wondering if they don't let it pivot enough with the stainless sleeve on the outside. I put CV Boots on with tons of grease in hopes of helping.

Phill

Man I can't upload a picture, but I snapped the axle shaft 1 inch down on the dogbone end. I upgraded to the 7075rc sleeved diff. drive cups. I am wondering if they don't let it pivot enough with the stainless sleeve on the outside. I put CV Boots on with tons of grease in hopes of helping.
The best way out is to change to dogbones on the front

pfrederi1

I know this is an old post but Im curious on what was done to fix this becvause Im having similar issue now. I keep losing drive pins and the CVA gets ripped apart in short space of time. i tried using the rubber Orings to hold the pins in but that does not last long the ruber rings snap\break off.

G-Man

I know this is an old post but Im curious on what was done to fix this becvause Im having similar issue now. I keep losing drive pins and the CVA gets ripped apart in short space of time. i tried using the rubber Orings to hold the pins in but that does not last long the ruber rings snap\break off.
Here was my fix on losing the cva pins. Take the axle out and drip blue loctite down in the grubscrew hole, then a little on the grub itself and really crank it down. Then brakleen the outside of the cva where the pin goes through to get the metal clean. Wrap a few layers of fabric tape (I used hockey tape) around the outside of it real tight and trim to fit. I actually put another layer of electrical tape over that with a dab of tire glue on the end to secure it. I haven't lost a pin in ages. Also go on ddm racing and get four hostile black cv boots and fill the actual cva with synthetic grease then slip the boots on. They are made for a baja so they need trimmed a little bit. They last a lot longer that way. Good Luck!!

Phill

The best way is to replace the CVs with dog bones the same as the rear.
My DR is set up the same way.

Phill

I will look into that thanks. I thought about trying just not sure lengths and what drive cups to use at the wheels
The part number for the axles is 50032.
Drive cups are part of the axle.
My DR has them front and rear.
Same part both ends.
You can find em all over the net.
Ebay is probably your best bet.

pfrederi1

Hey Thx for the input guys but I think im gonna go the CV Boot route:

Do I get the Grey or Black CV Boots? and whats the difference? How do you secure the end of the boot on the axle so it does not slip off?

Thx

Phill

Just get any boots for HPI and put a small zip tie on the axle to stop them slipping.
It may make the CVs last a little longer but they're still going to give out..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.