• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Rampage 32cc doesn't like Killer RC power starter

detrailers

bought the killer RC power starter for my 32 CC Rampage MT

The kit fit perfectly but when I tried it with a drill, no luck, tried my 18v Harbor Freight drill as well as my plug in Dewalt, no luck, them when I put the pull start back on it fires right up....the one I bought did say it was for a HPI baja, but it fits the Rampage perfect...

here is the one I bought

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201331989444?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

GJB56

I bought 2 Troy Built bits at Lowes and one of the was flaky. The other one worked fine.

detrailers

i used 2 different troy bilt bits too, its something to do with the speed at it cranks....too fast or not fast enough, or it floods it....I don't get it...

detrailers

Phill said:
HPI is same motorHave you tried it from cold without the choke?
tried everything. choke, no choke, slow spin fast spin....the odd thing was once I put the pull start back on it would fire up 2nd or 3rth pull

Phill

Stupid question I know but is the drill going the right way eg clockwise?

metal finisher

Contributor
OK my brother had same thing we tried everything it would not start finally we put a new motor on guess what it wouldn't start either I broke the end of the starter shaft off we had to put the pull start back on it started right up so I am thinking the roto start was shorting out some how even tho we had spark I will never get one just my opinion tho

detrailers

metal finisher said:
OK my brother had same thing we tried everything it would not start finally we put a new motor on guess what it wouldn't start either I broke the end of the starter shaft off we had to put the pull start back on it started right up so I am thinking the roto start was shorting out some how even tho we had spark I will never get one just my opinion tho
Yes what a bummer, already sent mine back.. it was a great concept

metal finisher

Contributor
Just to clear this I don't know the brand of the roto start he had bought I don't like bashing reputable company's

Slimneill

Mine wouldn't start for months when i first got it. (pull start mind you) and it turned out to be the crappy carb. Replaced the carb and i can pull start it in 2 or 3 pulls every time.

Do you have a stock carb?

dalentx

rampage not starting..added the drill starter

i bought my rampage brand new an it wouldnt start either...i broke the rope start pulling on it so much....i to bought the killer rc drill starter...still couldnt start it....u just now replaced the carb on mine with the walbro 1107..i was told the factory carb is junk...with the new carb i still cant start mine...im at a loss...not sure what to do....if all else fails i guess i can take it to a near by hobby shop an ley them fix it....any help would be appreciated...im new to having one like this an trying to learn the tricks

Phill

What have you got the needles set at?

Try 1+ 1/2 low and 1 + 7/8 high

dalentx

Well I haven't touched the needles...I was told they were set from the factory...an yes I have a spark on my plug...but I've had this issue from the get go...that's why I bought a new carb...I was told the factory carbs were no good on these trucks

Phill

I'd try resetting the needles?

How's the compression?

Can you lift the car by the pull starter without the motor turning over?

dalentx

Well I broke the rope starter...an installed a drill starter from killer rc....can't remember what my rpm is on my cordless drill...but it seems to spin it over fast enough..compression sounds ok....but like I said I've had this prob from day 1...I've had it started one time...maybe ran it 15 to 20 min maybe...but since then can't start it again...not sure if I need to put the rope starter back on or what...I've read on here that I'm not the only one with starting issues with this truck...I like the truck...just wanna be able to enjoy it

metal finisher

Contributor
You say you had it running for 15 to 20 minutes was that balls to the wall or did you do a heat cycle. Check maybe your head bolts. While trying to start it spray starting fluid around carb. Possible air leak

dalentx

No...I'm still trying to get it started so I can brake it in

ika

I was able to start by makita 2100 rpm brushless drill. Bosch 1700 rpm drill couldn't.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts