• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Rally Speed

Bulldogger

Ice_2k said:
I had the tarmac busters (here's my opinion of them: http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/showthread.php?p=155589#post155589) and now I bought a set of slicks in the hope of better durability but I haven't mounted them yet as we're under snow here in Europe.
Good info on the tires. Hostile makes two street tires that are suppose to be very good. A MT and a Slick, basically tread or no tread what do you think is better.

Momma went with speed tracker on the I phone 6+ with the gears switched 31 then 29 and the Jetpro she hit 36.1. Tuning a little leaner slowed, so went back to 36.1 and a pinch richer and left it.

Next question will anything be gained by the 990 carb as far as top end?? I know it is suppose to get rid of any low end bog but I only have a touch of that...

Hpi tires are larger so they will increase top end because they will cover more distance at the same rpm so that is something to consider when these are done. Though in all fairness these Rally tires grab really well on tarmac.

Ice_2k

For running on tarmac, I think slicks are the way to go if you're looking for grip. If you want to fool around (sliding, donuts), probably a lower grip tire is better.

As far as the 990 goes, I really don't know if it will increase top rpm, sorry.

phreerider

hey pipe looks really cool out the back! joker screams fo sho!

Bulldogger

phreerider said:
hey pipe looks really cool out the back! joker screams fo sho!
Yeah you can definitely hear it now:D. I just put on the 990 carb for testing. I am at 36mph with pipe and swapping the 29 and 31 gear positions. Going to see what gain the 990 yields. Then after that I am going to go with 7075RC wheel adapters and run a set of HPI wheels which are taller so they should yield a slight gain in top speed also. Just have to wait till Doug gets them back in stock. I will say this rally car is a BLAST. All the fun of dirt without the mess. Me likey on road.

Ice_2k

I have to say I totally agree on the onroad part. I got the DuneRunner and basically converted it to an onroad vehicle :) ) I'm probably gonna get another car for offroad stuff, I'm going back and forth between the MT and the Losi 5T

Bulldogger

Ice_2k said:
I have to say I totally agree on the onroad part. I got the DuneRunner and basically converted it to an onroad vehicle :) ) I'm probably gonna get another car for offroad stuff, I'm going back and forth between the MT and the Losi 5T
They are very different, and which one you choose really depends on what you want to do with it. I have a MT, they are heavy and they don't really jump at all. I use it at a sand pit and it will climb over and up pretty much anything in front of it. A lot of torque excellent for climbing over concrete curbs that line the street:D. Not really designed for any type of racing. Your DuneRunner would be more on par with the Losi truck. Losi's are expensive but are pretty well built, I think you still need to upgrade the servo's though.

I was torn between the Losi Mini and the Redcat Rally. I hate the side exhaust on the Losi and really Like the rear duals on the redcat with the Jetpro. I also didn't feel the center differential was that important for parking lot fun. Plus with all the extra's put into the Redcat rally it is still cheaper then buying a Losi:eek:, and most of the fun is in modifying them anyway.

Ice_2k

Rally Speed

Yeah, totally agree, they each have their strenghts and weaknesses. On the MT's side is obviously the 1/2 price and the fact that it seems to be an offroad beast, which I really like. The fact that it's not very fast and can climb over obstacles might be just right for my son, who is quite young and I don't expect him to be paying too much attention. The Losi on the other hand seems to have decent onroad capabilities which means I can run it and the Dunerunner on the same sort of playground. If I were to get the MT, it would be next to impossible to find a location where both cars excel. Another pro for the MT is that it shares a lot of parts with the DuneRunner, which makes it easier to stock up on parts that break. But then the Losi has much better aftermarket support. Decisions, decisions :) )

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.