• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Quasimoto Rampage XB build

phreerider

rampage XB , lots of cool parts, 4WS, off scale roll cage. cut down faring body.

first shot teaser...

Last edited by a moderator:

phreerider

fun mods to get out of the mini cage and currently a different mount on the pipe.

i have been wanting to stiffen the chassis a bit and this was easiest way and indeed rigid, the towers where begging for it, i have vertical post for center mounts but will wait for a new engine to add them on.

the pipe, since its the heaviest part except for the motor, i wanted it fixed to the chassis and with a rubber coupler the engine is isolated from it, so far its been solid. it is far tougher than any part of the unit so its "role" has been expanded be part of the roll cage, definitely like the pipe being fixed and easy engine break out setup.

and added this DDM air filter with chrome cover than came with my 460 it was too big for the other project so it got past to the rc stuff. used pvc 45 angle 1 1/2 " to jump it on. needs just a fraction shortened to get it under the cage, and i am digging the look with it out the front. working on screen shroud for it, but used the cut down body as sand blast control fairing.

kinda looking for bumper mount options for underneath chassis front and rear. i have some 6061 1/2" stock thats showed up for reuse so thats around the corner.

phreerider

here some details on the 4 wheel steer modification to the XB, first round debug and tweak, yielded critical smooth transition for "off" and "on-rear-steer" and reliability factor. Adding an adjustable limiter to the caster to control spindle swing AND a zero stop for off-rear-steer. So easily being able to switch out the option and general toughness was a must for the unit to be fun. the unit can be run either way with caster spindle setup so if the servo cracks ...set screws to zero axle, unplug dead servo --->u keep rolling, and indeed the 7075 rc caster spindle set up doing time! fixed or in action the unit is riding on the oversized bearings! the limiter set screw also controls swing so cv joint is keep within limits. top view of rear caster/spindle mount , the outer pin has been moved in couple mm for deeper cv engagement, the front A arms are shorter and lighter in general, so i opted to use the rears and drill to move pin placement. the upper links required shortening as well. limiter screw is tapped through caster, and a nylon jam nut to go with it,in the image it is set for off-rear-steer. the refinements make for huge gains on durability and flexibility without compromise on the units toughness.

quasimoto4ws top  .jpg

quasimoto4ws caster set screw limiter.jpg

quasimoto4ws top  .jpg

quasimoto4ws caster set screw limiter.jpg

/monthly_2014_01/583c606d1c81b_quasimoto4wstop.jpg.f67d556c5f8d894cbf955a5736d739f7.jpg

/monthly_2014_01/583c606d1e1b2_quasimoto4wscastersetscrewlimiter.jpg.42d0c1956b6362dbca8066a77b92383e.jpg

phreerider

ok heres the servosaver on the servo, this mod is hacked from redact steering servo saver post and turnbuckle assembly. the post is cut to desired lengththe base is cut to mate with the actuator arm at desired length, and the servo spline is added to the base of the servo saver turnbuckle. choice of servo bases with redcat or hitec /futaba. the servo spline mount has to be cut to match the hex within the turnbuckle base. it is fixed with epoxy in addition to a snug hex shape fit. the post is fixed with the turnbuckle base with screw taps and epoxy. maintaining clearance and access to screw for servo screw is necessary, so tedious attention to epoxy control so not to block or alter screw seat. also the harvest point for the base turnbuckle, did not have extra for pic so here it on the unit.very tuff , roughly 20hours and no problems , makes the 4ws mod super easy effective and durable.

quasimoto4ws nutkracker  .jpg

quasimoto4ws servosaver hack 1.jpg

quasimoto4ws servo mount bases.jpg

quasimoto4ws ss base harvest.jpg

quasimoto4ws nutkracker  .jpg

quasimoto4ws servosaver hack 1.jpg

quasimoto4ws servo mount bases.jpg

quasimoto4ws ss base harvest.jpg

/monthly_2014_01/583c606d1f773_quasimoto4wsnutkracker.jpg.9d3e341d748d6447aaae2e05e48b873a.jpg

/monthly_2014_01/583c606d20bfb_quasimoto4wsservosaverhack1.jpg.28990b2e05a1890a133a1bd9d0644090.jpg

/monthly_2014_01/583c606d22592_quasimoto4wsservomountbases.jpg.3ce2622f0af62192f0954617e436d050.jpg

/monthly_2014_01/583c606d2414d_quasimoto4wsssbaseharvest.jpg.7eed07a418f3ecf92528877acc722038.jpg

G

Looks like a tight fit. Cool idea.

phreerider

the base turnbuckle hex with the servo horn spline mod requires tight adaptation. the depth and placement needs to be in coincidence with the trimmed post... solid abutment makes tidy finish. setting spring tension and post length is dependent upon how much tension you want to run. the servo saver action should be firm but moveable with smooth glide across parts. heres another image conveying original post hex/servo horn and finished mod.

quasimoto4ws ss base:spline mod.jpg

quasimoto4ws ss base:spline mod.jpg

/monthly_2014_01/583c606d25af5_quasimoto4wsssbasesplinemod.jpg.a6c5322465feeb2dd8d19115f01546ce.jpg

phreerider

RCDAD said:
Looks like a tight fit. Cool idea.
thanks, it already has pulled quite a bit time. gonna go ahead and add the hitec 5765 as soon as i mod the servo mount on the back tower, the wing mount is easy and solid. i want to pull everything a little tighter against the rear tower.

actually enough material in the wing mount to make it stack up on existing hardware. definitely going for hardened permanence on the unit with the ridiculous 3 steer servos.

phreerider

video of said unit, with all the mods, still working through link adjustments seems solid, very tuff, full bore rip NO PROBLEM.

[ame]

[/ame]

G

Are you sharing channel 1 for front and rear steering or is the rear on a different channel?

phreerider

all same channel, 3way split on steer

a deluxe set up would have rear on separate channel with REV. which would give a cross drive feature... somewhat of a useless option but showy... kinda tedious to operate i'm sure.

a super narrow EPA would be a huge tweak bonus for better servo parameter control as well, otherwise it currently is all mechanical link setup , which unloads servo a bit and give tight mechanical limiters rather than leaning on the servo.

ATM still waiting on the fresh motor and have locked the rear for straight drive, tweaking the chamber and toe. theres about 2-4 degrees and 1.5m-/+ thats useable, but narrowing the rear and super hard sprint power is pretty difficult to control without heavy toe added in on the rear. the rip power drive is all there. the back seems to take over once the mass has moved through rear steer balance center so definitely snaps around, the (weak)servo slop/standing torque i think is a factor with that behavior.

phreerider

progressed abit into this mod with a few changes and additions,the rear wing mount ,also acting as servo mount, got chopped... while retaining tower abutments, it will force me to make servo mounts and add post for rear steer option. which should prove a fun direction. plus added radial links to lock rear spindle with stock links. which also function as steer linkage for post setup. and went back to inverted front A-arms for the rear set up, which by far gives quick and stable responsiveness in the handling at speed, much better balance, perfect tracking and has fewest changes to stock parts. the front A-arms are lighter in build so we'll see how they do, may go to alloy or MT stock. definitely handles great ...maybe dropping that fat servo/wing/wing mount on the back might have helped a little.and added the copper bands to diff cups/outdrives. great add on. it has not been an issue but buttons up the drive for sure.and the pics below

quasimoto4ws radial link .jpg

quasimoto4ws rear mount cut.jpg

quasimoto4ws radial link .jpg

quasimoto4ws rear mount cut.jpg

/monthly_2014_02/583c606d327bc_quasimoto4wsradiallink.jpg.d65c0a9fc58693e442f526e08db8bd26.jpg

/monthly_2014_02/583c606d33a65_quasimoto4wsrearmountcut.jpg.09cccf64f0454a48feca975878ca0b96.jpg

phreerider

failed to add that with the FRONT A-arm on the rear, i changed the insert bushings as well. the rear insert(on the rear diff) is switched to "offset" which is the best combo for track and bang on easy toe set.and another rear pic , minus wing/wingmount

quasimoto4ws rear top no wing mt.jpg

quasimoto4ws rear top no wing mt.jpg

/monthly_2014_02/583c606d35036_quasimoto4wsreartopnowingmt.jpg.d08fde6a5621150102ddd41d05ddac1a.jpg

phreerider

thanks man!

once i get the new motor in i'll trip out to the motox track and stretch it out. i need to revisit some old bash spots that have more terrain features. this spot is actually my tow spot, but the meadow area gives me a chance to test the goods at speed and no one around to be bothered by the noise.

phreerider

got to the ATV park in GA. http://thebignasty.net

deluxe spot ! this place is huge , small and large motox track.

anyway finishing up the heat cycles on the new OBR 4 bolt and

looked something like this...

[ame]

[/ame]

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts