• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Pull start not engaging

Wolfdog

Completely new to the rc world and need some help. Took the Rampage in on trade and it needs a few things. Guy said the pull start was “broke” but from the research I have done I can’t find what it is that is broke. When I bolted the pull start back on and gave it a pull it’s not engaging the flywheel. The pull start mechanism isn’t reaching the flywheel. Looking at the exploded view , everything seems to be there. Any ideas on what I need to do? Thanks

Haroldbee

Wolfdog...lemme give you a simple solution to all that bother. If your vehicle can use a drill start system, simply install one. No more pull-start-not-engaging, no more pullstart-cord-breaking B.S.
PEACE!

pfrederi1

Can you attach a pic of the pullstart not connected to the engine? If its bolted on and its not engaging either a part os missing or broke or possibly the flywheel itself could be damaged as well.

Quick fix solution (all things considered) I would just buy another pullstart. theyre fairly inexpensive. Thats after ruling out everything else.

Wayne

There is a spring loaded device on the center of the pull start that engages the flywheel. I think it is called a "sprawl." They come in plastic and/or aluminum. It has a notch on it that engages the flywheel. If you remove the pull start from the engine and pull the string you should see this sprawl raise. The notch on the sprawl will wear and eventually become too short to engage the flywheel. Some people use the aluminum sprawl because they last longer but they can damage your flywheel which is more expensive than a pull start. The proper way to use the pull start is to pull the string slowly until it engages the flywheel then pull with force. Some pull with force from the beginning, often attempting to make several rapid pulls. This will cause your sprawl to wear faster. You can purchase a sprawl separately and install it on a used pull start. I would just by a new pull start because there are other parts (spring, string, coil) that eventually brake.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.