• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Project Blackout: Brushless Conversion

GIGAWATTS

Great choice for a project build. there is not doubt you will love it. with the stock tires they are super easy to fly.

ROCKHEART

Yeah the plan is to start with 8s and work my way up to 12s.... If it/i can handle it lol. Progress on this has been slow as I'm currently learning(or trying to) the dark art of 3d printing as I need to make a custom esc tray/ receiver box for the truck plus something that will make the truck stand out from other mts.

GIGAWATTS

Lol Ive been running mine on 8s its a torque MONSTER. its almost scary. the first time i pulled a standing backflip. i just about had a heart attack. i just put 14s on my 5ive-T, but the tires can't get all that power to the ground. so I've been thinking about putting 14s in the MT. Ill post video if i do.

BTW. here is a little taste of what you have coming. this is 8s

GOOD LUCK & ENJOY !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

ROCKHEART

One thing I have been doing on this project is to do with the body shell.

I really want to make my own. As in design,sculpt and form. As I know nothing about this part of the hobby I thought the best thing to do first would be to make a mould of the original shell and make a vacuum former to see if I'm any good at it lol

So first I blocked off all the arches ect in a very technical manner :)

2045BBDE-8407-4156-9777-771C005FAB05_zpsuahupaop.jpg

Siliconed all round the base and dug it in to my old pond(empty) and filled it up with plaster and this is what I have.

0F9C322F-BDEF-465A-92BF-DD6B233AFA2A_zpsoxvaa40y.jpg

Damaged it in places releasing it from the shell but will be repaired. Considering this is my first time it came out ok,it is a little wonky vertically but with how big the mould is and the shape of the original shell I think It's ok.

Next step will be to repair the mould and build the vacuum former.

ROCKHEART

Not much been going on with the the truck itself but plenty going on for it on the 3D printer.

Esc tray is done and so is the beadlocks.

5BDED5C1-8034-4B80-93AC-0775352DCFBC_zpsiecg7abl.jpg

20 beadlocks = 160 hours print time!!!!

A2169850-1059-4C1D-ADE0-89787C696C45_zpsb69jl4dq.jpg

81040D68-A5F8-4256-9619-31FD4509E96A_zpsc3rbd0bz.jpg

things to do:
  • mount the motor
  • mount the esc
  • wiring
  • bodyshell

ROCKHEART

Well this build has took soooo long I had to get the baby wipes out earlier to wipe the dust off it lol

but it's nearly done. Originally the esc of choice was an alien 350a but I can't seem to get it to arm. It's definetly connecting to the rx as I can get it in to manual programming mode but can't get it to arm default_sad.png

so that's been shelved and the back up max5 is in and ready to go default_good.gif

A7BB7D65-191E-4337-A471-B7FC66BD9835_zpsefatfq5w.jpg

0D3281E8-D750-457A-8738-0B0BDC77CB9B_zps6gmpxopk.jpg

First run tomorrow

ROCKHEART

Well 30 seconds after turning it on the bloody motor came loose so nipped back to get my tools and was back up and running. I did blue threadlock the bolts when I installed it but may try a dab of red this time. Other than that it ran pretty well. After owning the petrol version for some time now it felt wired to driving a large scale brushless. But just as fun. After 5-6 mins both motor and ESC were around 30 degrees. I do have a sky rc fan shroud but want to get some longer runs in to see what temps are like. Next on the list roll cage and body shell.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Staff member
@ROCKHEART that is an incredible build man and that's got to be one of the biggest ESC's I've seen! :eek:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.