• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Project Blackout: Brushless Conversion

ROCKHEART

Since seeing a few of these on YouTube, and with how much I like this truck in its petrol form I knew that I had to have one so I've bought all the major components over the last few months and decided to do a build thread to track my progress.

So the plan is....

Take one of these....

CC72BF3A-2850-45C7-A499-47F3847FD677_zpshn92tujz.jpg

(The one on the left as it's not been touched since June lol )

Add this....

9737D68F-5478-4314-97CA-2C130610F3E9_zpsu4xgq19k.jpg

And this....

F8666D5C-2483-4B45-9D41-5B8236913FB4_zpsxca7sbfw.jpg

Hopefully it will be an enjoyable build and should even more enjoyable once it's done :)

ROCKHEART

well this project has had a slow start up, mainly because I didn't have a space big enough to start it so quickly knocked up a project table.

So I bought the truck in April last year, it was a complete impulse buy. I'd only bought my first blackout in January of the same year but just couldn't get enough of it so when I seen this one come up on eBay I pounced.

The owner told me that it was a replacement truck from his insurance as his original Mt was damaged in a house fire and has hardly been used. Apart from a little muck/dust it was in very good condition, it still has the "made in china" sticker on the chassis

ROCKHEART

As I'll be removing all the petrol components ive decided to keep all the parts as spares for my other truck but it I was hoping one of you petrol heads could enlighten me on a little problem this truck has.

On its 1st tank(last year)I noticed the carb was very rich but as I didn't know if it had been run in correctly I decided to leave the carb as it was and give it a gentle tank of 1/4 - 1/2 throttle for a mini break in. On the second tank I leaned both needles in a 1/16 turn a gave it a bit more than half throttle but something wasn't right. The engine would Rev but the drivetrain would just lock up. It baffled me so put in the shed and it's been there ever since.

Here's a vid of it today showing the problem, it starts to do it around the 1:00 mark.

I checked the transmission gears and clutch but all seems fine to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

ROCKHEART

started to strip it down yesterday.

The transmission plate didn't want to come off thanks to some stubborn brake pad mounts. Some gentle persuasion with a hammer was needed which resulted in a bit of damage to the tranny plate. No matter, it's not need now

Greggfromohio

From the video it looks like maybe the brakes were locking up. Maybe there was some binding in the throttle/brake linkage that was causing braking during acceleration.

ROCKHEART

think you guys were right about the linkage binding.

now that's its stripped, every part was treated to a good scrub with a toothbrush.

also sprayed the chassis black to help it tie in with the stock plastics.

pic of the Kershaw conversion kit, spur is mahoosive!

ROCKHEART

I've decided that all my rc's are going to have a superhero/villan theme....after all,we are boys with toys lol.... with this one being the first to get the treatment. It's been something I've thought about for a while and will give me an excuse to add more trucks to the fleet lol.

So with that in mind I sent the conversion kit and a few other parts of the truck to be anodised :)

ROCKHEART

considering the quality of the metal isn't very good, most of the parts turned out great.

started rebuilding the truck

ROCKHEART

Installed the servos and battery trays today. I've gone for 2x turnigy 1270's, running these in my other mt and they seem to coping well.

offered up the the esc........hmmmmmmmmmm.......lol!

phreerider

wow cool stuff! ESC is a monster!

parts came out nice!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts