• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

polished ports

fastlane

Team Driver
I decided to polish the exaust and intake ports along with the boost ports while waiting on parts. Has anyone tryed this yet? What was the results?

forist

Contributor
I didn't polish my 30.5 it was race ported by ONB. But i did port the side dom to match up with the exhaust port and ported the manifold to match up with the intake port and the carb. I think it helped a lil bit but hard to tell. I didn't want to mess with the port job from ONB's.

fastlane

Team Driver
all I did was use syncrome polish with a dremel. It was already race ported from ddm I was told by my brother who works at Lafayette Power Sports that it would give it a little extra edge as far as flowing better goes. It just made it purdy. LOL I haven't ran it yet due to WAITING ON PARTS!!!!!!

DemonRC

If you take a look at different port jobs, ESP or ONB for example, you can see that the intake ports are "resurfaced" but not polished. The resurfacing on the intake and transfer ports is actually a rough texture which is there to cause turbulence to atomize the fuel/air mixture. This is opposite what you would expect if your a 1:1 car enthusiest, however, it's a tried and true method with these small 2 strokes. Exhaust port polishing is, on the other hand, effective at gaining a little RPM. Exhaust port polishing by itself is not really noticable, however, the addition of scavanging ports near the intake port really wake the motor up.

Sucram

I don't see the theory behind a rough surface on the intake... If it doesn't get mixed by going through the transfers and around the crank, nothing will.

but having said that i doubt there is any gain..

DemonRC

I guess it follows the same principle as the vortex inserts you put between your air filter and throttle body on a 1:1. Those have been dyno'd and proven to provide slight power increases.

DemonRC

I'll call my bud and ask him who makes em nowdays. I saw the latest ones in his rice burner magazine when he was here this weekend.

DemonRC

Hey I just went outside and counted up all my scrap heads. I got 5 ESP and 6 ONB heads sitting in there and all of em have roughened intakes.

grf

i read an article in a magazine long time ago about it. the rough surface is to create a stream that does not come close to the walls. if you polish it then the stream of the gas/air mixtures come very close and touches the walls of the intake and as a result you have the gas stack on there and not keeping the atomization. i would say it helps to keep the atomization as close to the one your carby made..

fastlane

Team Driver
well I ran it and it screams like a scalded dog. low end mid and top end great power.

DemonRC

fastlane said:
well I ran it and it screams like a scalded dog. low end mid and top end great power.
Does it scream like a gasoline soaked cat on fire? Now that'd be a fast engine :D

Can ya tell I don't like cats LMAO?

Sucram

grf said:
i read an article in a magazine long time ago about it. the rough surface is to create a stream that does not come close to the walls. if you polish it then the stream of the gas/air mixtures come very close and touches the walls of the intake and as a result you have the gas stack on there and not keeping the atomization. QUOTE]
This is reasonable explanation.

DemonRC

mooman007uk said:
I hate cats too, worthless bird killing creatures, and feral cats and kittens need exterminating right now, i've dusted a few in my time, they look like a dandelion head when you blow on it when you hit them with 00 out a 12gauge:D
Ya I can defintely visualize :D . If you at too much of a down angle it looks more like what happens when a ripe tomato hits concrete.

DemonRC

I got a feeling from that response that you know exactly what I'm talking about. We better be quite now cause somebody is gonna unleash an animal rights group upon us. SHHHH

fastlane

Team Driver
well I hate cats my self. when my oldest daughter was about 2 years old she tryed to pet a neighbors cat climbed on her and scratched here pretty badly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts