• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

On Road (Rally) Car Setup......

deathrowtoll

Guys,

Now that there is a real On-Road (Rally) car available from Rampage/Redcat, I would like to share some experiences I had when I converted my TT5 Buggy to On-Road. First of all the buggy outperformed everything when converted to On-Road, it performed so well that I was truly surprised when I started outperforming several of the MCD's I was racing against last year.

I am assuming that with the exception of shorter A-arms and different gear ratios the chassis did not change much from the Buggy to the Rally car. With that in mind I have blended my setup with the buggy and created a setup that might be a good start for the On-Road car.

Tires:

I do not know what tires come with the Rally car, but if for any reason they are not up to par, I want to make the following suggestion as I know the tires I used last year do work very well.

PMT tires/rims for 1/5 scale touring cars (FG, HARM, Technokit, Contrast, etc)

(mounted 1/5 tires and rims cost about 65 to 75 dollars/pair)

- 27 shore in front, 20 shore in back for up to 100 degrees F on the tarmac

- 35 shore in front, 27 shore in back for over 125 degrees F on the tarmac

I have run the first tire combination for over 25 tanks of gas for a combined time of 20 hrs, and 10 minutes (I keep a log) without changing my 27/20 tire combo in my buggy. This combination has outlasted all of my expectations. These tires are very hard and completely flat and they do not balloon out at all. They start sort of slippery for the first minute or so, but after they get warm, they are the stickiest tires I have ever run, they make me look as if I am a good driver, which I am sorry to say I am not.

Gearing:

If the gearing for the Buggy was left intact (I hope they did as it gave many gearing options)

- Start with 29/31 and 25/25 if stock motor and an average driver

- Start with 31/29 and 25/25 if stock motor and a smooth or experienced driver

- Start with 27/33 and 25/25 if using a motor bigger than a 26 and your motor is strong at high RPM.

Diff and other setup:

- Change the diff oils to 30,000/6,000 front/back (depending on your driving style you will have to change this, as I like my car to understeer a little)

- Change the shock oils to 125/85 front/back

- Move the shock collars up, so the suspension sags a little

- Use about 2 degrees of toe-out in front (to keep it tracking straight)

- If available, use 2-3 degrees of toe-in in the back (adjust this to get the proper amount of forward bite)

- Start with 0 degrees of camber up front and 2 negative on back to see where your tire contact patch is, then change it as needed to avoid premature tire wear.

- Upgrade to the 8000 RPM Red Spring rate on your clutch or use an Adjustable clutch if you can afford it.

As far as where you can get the 1/5 touring tires? You have several choices, but I like getting them from the Pro 5th scale site, they do not have as good customer support as Rob at RampageHopUps, but they seem to have the tires at a reasonable price (I imagine with the dollar being down this will change soon).

You also have three good tire choices as PMT makes several kinds of tires for the 1/5 scale touring cars.

My recommendation depends on what you want to do:

All out racing: Eclipse http://www.pro5thscale.com/inc/sdetail/244

Semi-Pro : Kronos http://www.pro5thscale.com/inc/sdetail/243

New technology, cheaper, lighter and I hear better than the kronos : Icaro http://www.pro5thscale.com/inc/sdetail/245

One note: the track where I practice has a smooth to semi smooth surface and it barely got to 125 degrees during the summer; that is how I got away with the 27/20 shore combo. Depending on your asphalt surface and temperature you might have to choose another shore.

Thanks,

DRT.

kryptonite

that is an awsome set-up guide to start with. all good info. certain thing may change depending on the track or lot you run on, but its real close. im really suprised you got so many tanks out of the tire choice. i guess it has to do with 4wd. i bet it really saves those tires.. great info and thanx..

RampageHopUps

Wow, glad to have you on-board. There is an oval track in Phoneix, but I've never heard of it being actually used. I'll have to find out if they plan on any races soon.

deathrowtoll

RampageHopUps,

For oval racing (left turn only), I would start with the same setup and change the following:

Camber on tires:

- Front left = 0 degrees to start, and up to 2 positive degree

- Front right = 1 negative degree

- Rear left = 1-2 positive degree

- Rear right = 2 negative degree

Gearing:

- Goto 35/25 and 25/25, if the race line is longer than 800 ft or track is banked

Springs:

- Preload (lower the spring collar) the Front right spring a little.

- Preload (lower the spring collar) the Rear right spring a lot.

DRT.

Last edited by a moderator:

C.B.

wow this road car is going to be fun drt's tips are really good i cant wait till rob starts getting hop ups someone is going to have to start making them for him to stock now i gotta get myself a car

prostock

deathrowtoll,

Very nice work on the setup info; do you have pics of you converted buggy very interested to see.

Also what body are you running on it?

BRC

monsterman

Some really good information there deathrowtoll, thanks for adding to the useful information.. I've just started working on the Rally again.. Should be up and running by the end of this week..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts