• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

OK Tell me what I broke

mvaughn12

Running my chimera all day. a few minutes ago it completly stopped moving, engine was still running so i assumed maybe drive shaft between wheels came out but when i turned it off completley i heard a spinning sound on the picture you see a red X marking what is spinning so freely. LOL before i take if apart just trying to get an idea what to expect. Did i break a spur gear? Or something? Engine will turn over with no problem vehicle just will not move. Only thing moving is the spot that I marked with an Red X

Last edited by a moderator:
G

You might just have some loose set screws on the gear squares.

mvaughn12

Oke doke lol I got too excited it hit 72 degrees here today in Denver lol I couldn't help but run that bad boy lol supposed to be 72 Again on Monday hopefully I don't get Any Hospital Calls lol

mvaughn12

OK i found my issue `2 completely stripped gears all the teeth are laying in the box now I just need to see what part numbers they are and order them Hopefully they are on the redcat racing site so I can order them but any Help on who would have them would be appreciated lol:) These are the two front gears to the left does anyone know what teeth they are? I'm guessing 31T and 29T cant count the teeth since theyre gone lol

G

Holy crap. I've never seen that happen. :(

mvaughn12

RCDAD said:
Holy crap. I've never seen that happen. :(
Yea im really disappointed myself. I think i may try belt drive. What do you think? You don't happen to know those 2 gear ratios do you ?

rampage idiot

mvaughn12 said:
Yea im really disappointed myself. I think i may try belt drive. What do you think? You don't happen to know those 2 gear ratios do you ?
I think you need to make sure something is not locked up! for that to happen maybe a bad bearing on the shaft that goes to the brakes or on the center diff. that is really strange that those gears stripped! Bummer

G

mvaughn12 said:
That is a 29 and a 31 tooth gear.

mvaughn12

rampage idiot said:
I think you need to make sure something is not locked up! for that to happen maybe a bad bearing on the shaft that goes to the brakes or on the center diff. that is really strange that those gears stripped! Bummer
So maybe I need to order bearings also just in case

mvaughn12

rampage idiot said:
Is there an Exploded View that I can download of the setup like in a pdf or something? I'd like to see that for quicker refernce on parts

G

You will know as soon as you tear it down. Check to make sure there are no cracks in the gear plate.

BertR

I had a 25 tooth come apart like that not to long ago . I was running in a gravel pit with no cover on the gears so my best bet was that a rock ended up in the teeth and kaplooie . you don't see the gears come apart like that very often ...like 3 cases in 2 years that I can remember. All it takes is for one or two teeth to go to set off a chain reaction. I swear I could hear every tooth come off when I hit the throttle.

mvaughn12

I'd be really surprised to see a Crack in the gear plate of the cover because I never taken them apart before but I'll rip it apart to see what caused it rcdad what's your opinion on the belt drive?

mvaughn12

I'm still stumped from this happening from running on a school parking lot but stranger things have happened

mvaughn12

No cracks anywhere just broken teeth and not rocks looks like a teeth gave up the ghost and the rest went with it.LOL any Idea where I can order the Belt drive from? I see they are out of stock from the one vendor

broke gears.jpg

broke gears.jpg

/monthly_2014_03/583c60702a27c_brokegears.jpg.4d6f37a6e0f2bd0a3b6a8c96f7313133.jpg

G

mvaughn12 said:
rcdad what's your opinion on the belt drive?
Its a nice product. It is currently out of stock. We hope to be getting more in.

Have you thought about the 2 speed from Demon RC? It is another great option.

mvaughn12

RCDAD said:
Its a nice product. It is currently out of stock. We hope to be getting more in.Have you thought about the 2 speed from Demon RC? It is another great option.
Ive been looking at the 2 speed from Demon RC but Ive been waiting to hear feedback from any one who has it installed on their chimera or see a picture of video of it installed on the chimera.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.