• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Oil-sump like ABCD Gears.

rcgasser

I can not see how that would stop that from happening especially on plastic would make a lil more sense if they were metal gears!!!!

Phill

I had thought about trying something similar but settled for putting a little moly grease on the gears whenever I have the cover off.

Metal gears though.

Dongskie

Me too Phil. I had thought about the mess it will create when it's time to open it, just like Ice 2K said in FB.

So far my plastic gears are holding up with a little dab of grease, no bad wear yet..

But what he did there is really good.

phreerider

they are plastic . they are petroleum based.

eventually the plastic WILL start to absorb the oil, the plastic will become soft.

even for a metal set, its way too much, load and heat dispersion for metal is still pretty light. its a bit much and a very messy....and will become oil dirt soup quick.

i would consider the metal or plastic, virtually maintenance free.

light lithium coat every now and then

rcgasser

phreerider said:
they are plastic . they are petroleum based. eventually the plastic WILL start to absorb the oil, the plastic will become soft.

even for a metal set, its way too much, load and heat dispersion for metal is still pretty light. its a bit much and a very messy....and will become oil dirt soup quick.

i would consider the metal or plastic, virtually maintenance free.

light lithium coat every now and then
Thanks that what I was thinking his setup is way overboard to not be really accomplishing anything. In the case of the gear less is much more.

Ice_2k

To be fair, real cars gearboxes are filled with oil, so...I don't think it's a bad idea for metal gears if properly sealed.

RampageHopUps

I work with oil filled gearboxes on billion dollar planes. Its a good idea, needs a little refinement for it to really work well though.

phreerider

Ice_2k said:
To be fair, real cars gearboxes are filled with oil, so...I don't think it's a bad idea for metal gears if properly sealed.
true, so for scale application it is a reality.

and to, in this application that went from simple to messy and complex. as soon as the oil moves onto the brakes and onto clutch bell and every where else you do not want it with its best friend "dirt" not really what you'd want.....if the gear box were properly sealed yes i would agree . but that kinda gear box would be need serious power to spin up and cost 5-10 times as much(and would want it wet and vented!). ...when load and life span are already worked out in the details, making it messy can attract ancillary issues.

kinda cool that he did add a pooling sump and thats part of the learning experience for him. and now we ALL have more experience in total

wildstallion

Err, I seriously hope I wont find plastic gears in my Chimera when I take it apart soon. Am I in for a nasty shock?

GTi_Leo

Ice_2k said:
the oil is to keep friction off the gears in gear boxes, to keep the teeth from wearing out. not sure how plastic will do or what type of plastic is used on the cogs.

also from what I understand from my paintball days and delrin bolts ( if that's used) the delrin swells with a petroleum based oil/grease.

alfred e numan

glease- lol.

i cannot see the photo. i do see what he was thinking though. My xb came with steel gears. rob sold me a good car. I have used this on the transfer gears for a few years with good results-- Honda pro moly 60 grease. its a paste type grease. the moly greases at the auto stores-- stay lube, lubraplate, mobil, the ones the average joe can buy have about 5% moly at best. The above mentioned grease is actually what it says. 60%. It pretty much stays where you apply it also. a little disopsable acid brush works well to apply. It cannot be used on plastics, nylons, if its even used on cheap steels- full sized car u-joints for example, this 60% moly will eat the cheap metal up. If its used on high grade u-joints-- Spicer brand, the grease till cause the spicer u-joints to pretty much last for decades on lower powered lighter cars-trucks. its that good. I use it on the ring & pinion gears on the xb-s gearbox also. This grease is spendy - very. when you buy this at the honda shop-- try to find the one that weighs more than the others, sometimes the machine that fills the little tube the grease come in can have a air pocket, not getting what you are paying for fully. A.Numan.

alfred e numan

I think the hottest running gear on these cars is the pinion gear on the gearbox. It can actually transfer enough heat tru the shaft & bearing to melt down the gear box case.It would be easy to seal the gearbox chassis plate & the od of the sealed bearings - Permatex motoseal would be a good choice. Drill a filler hole on the side of the gear box, add just enoungh oil to keep the ring gear wet., the cars chassis to a small extent would act as a heat sink.---- just a alfred thought.

alfred e numan

more ramblings--lol. like rob was saying- aircraft & aerospace lobes are far above what automotive lubes are. The pilots do not even want the chip decteor lights flash. On my gear box idea, automobile automatic transmission fluis would be a good choice. Another high tec idea thats been around for years is cyrpgenicly frozen steel. check it out on the web-- www.300 below.com. I buy old stock glass valves for stereos that have been frozen cycled. you would have to hear it fore yourself to believe what it does to the metals in the tubes, re aligens the molicules on the steel, adds strengith to the metals where they are spot welded together-- ect. tis not spendy to have this treatment done either. our cars metal parts? u- joints- gears-- just a thought-----

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts