• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Newbie MT Build

KILLGORE

Once I recieved my truck I immediiately did some research on the Rampage Forum and I knew what I wanted to do and what needed to be done first. I have owned the truck less than two weeks and have got a few things done so far.

Stern-CNC Belt Drive 1-1
Venom 5000mah NIMH Battery
Flysky FS-IT4S
Turnigy Reciever Switch for LED Light
Apex RC LED Light
Dynamite Kill Switch
Aluminum Roll Cage
Flywheel Dust Cover
Baha Filter with Pre Filter

On first startup it fired up on two pulls. I am impressed with how it runs and starts so far. Break in was painfully slow but worth it. I am running Royal Purple synthetic and NGK plugs. I took out all screws as advised by many posts on here and used blue Locktite on them. Future upgrades include a CPI pipe, walbro 990 carb, hub adapters for different wheels and a Fast Eddys bearing kit. Any advise would be much appreciated. I am loving this truck so far. 20170223_230412.jpg 20170223_232320.jpg 20170223_232402.jpg 20170223_232500.jpg 20170224_001144.jpg 20170224_001549.jpg

Last edited:

KILLGORE

20170308_231342.jpg 20170308_231329.jpg 20170309_010148.jpg So I installed a standard MT Pro pipe and a HPI 8000k clutch. I also installed Baha axel boots. I have noticed I have lost low end power with the belt drive. It is a 1:1 Stern belt drive. Is this normal with the stock tires? I don't want to go back with the standard gears but it did seem to have more power before.

Last edited:

G-Man

View attachment 13517 View attachment 13518 View attachment 13519 So I installed a standard MT Pro pipe and a HPI 8000k clutch. I also installed Baha axel boots. I have noticed I have lost low end power with the belt drive. It is a 1:1 Stern belt drive. Is this normal with the stock tires? I don't want to go back with the standard gears but it did seem to have more power before.
I noticed the same thing of low end power loss. But more top speed. There is 3 or 4 more gearing options stern offers. I did find my MT didn't roll all that well with the belt system, like not running and give it a push. I had to mess with the end play some to free it up some. But it still isn't great. How good does yours free roll?

designed2survive

View attachment 13517 View attachment 13518 View attachment 13519 So I installed a standard MT Pro pipe and a HPI 8000k clutch. I also installed Baha axel boots. I have noticed I have lost low end power with the belt drive. It is a 1:1 Stern belt drive. Is this normal with the stock tires? I don't want to go back with the standard gears but it did seem to have more power before.

@KILLGORE 1:1 ratio on MT with stock tires will definitely lower your bottom end.

KILLGORE

I noticed the same thing of low end power loss. But more top speed. There is 3 or 4 more gearing options stern offers. I did find my MT didn't roll all that well with the belt system, like not running and give it a push. I had to mess with the end play some to free it up some. But it still isn't great. How good does yours free roll?
I've never had a problem with it rolling free. It seems to roll freely forward or backward. I need to check out the other gearing options and give one a try. I don't think I got better top end either. The low end and top end are not very impressive. Maybe this 1:1 would perform better with more HP.

SmokinToad

20170325_212823.jpg i've heard the stern drive does lower the low end but i plan on converting mine to a TT. I wasn't too impressed with the MT Pro pipe on mine. Heard lots of good reports on the Dom pipe for low end and top end. From the stock can to the MT Pro pipe, it just seemed to get louder. not to much preformance boost. Very nice work on your truck!!!

KILLGORE

View attachment 13536 i've heard the stern drive does lower the low end but i plan on converting mine to a TT. I wasn't too impressed with the MT Pro pipe on mine. Heard lots of good reports on the Dom pipe for low end and top end. From the stock can to the MT Pro pipe, it just seemed to get louder. not to much preformance boost. Very nice work on your truck!!!
Thanks yours looks good with that pipe. I switched back to the steel gears and it has more take off power and speed. I am going to keep it this way until I can get the variable belt kit from Stern. I am sure a better pipe would help a lot.

KILLGORE

20170401_013117.jpg 20170401_111608.jpg 20170330_233936.jpg I installed the WT990 and aluminum intake. I also ordered a DDM Dominator and got it installed today. Wow on takeoff this thing will spin on dry concrete. It was just too underpowered before with the belt drive.

KILLGORE

How did u change the fuel lines?
I took a flathead screwdriver and pryed the black grommet out. It helps if you pull the return line out first. (the one that plugs into the top of the carburetor) This gives the grommet enough flex to come out. Once the grommet is out then of course the supply line can come out as it has a filter strapped to it.

rawb4291

I took a flathead screwdriver and pryed the black grommet out. It helps if you pull the return line out first. (the one that plugs into the top of the carburetor) This gives the grommet enough flex to come out. Once the grommet is out then of course the supply line can come out as it has a filter strapped to it.
Was it a hard job getting it all back together?

KILLGORE

Was it a hard job getting it all back together?
It can be a little tricky to get the grommet back in once fuel lines have been changed. Just be careful with the grommet taking it out and putting it back in. I could see it tearing of not handled correctly. Don't use a sharp pointed screwdriver. Try to find a wide blade flathead. This is the fuel line I used. 1 pack of this will do it. Just match up the length with your existing lines when cutting.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170402-220316.jpg
    Screenshot_20170402-220316.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 11

designed2survive

@rawb4291 Put some oil on and around the grommet to remove it. It will come out easy. Do the same for re-installation.

Like @KILLGORE said, removing a fuel line helps the grommet to compress a little of needed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.