• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

New to this, need some tips help

1fast lorinser

Hey Everyone, just received a brand new rampage XB as a birthday gift and my first ever gas RC buggy. I am mechanically inclined and already understand that there will be a lot of parts replacements from what I've been reading about. Pretty surprised how much is involved with a brand new unit. So far I followed all instructions with my setup and started it up for the first time, I got it started after a lot of sweat and a lot of pulls but I got it running and at the end of the first gas tank it started going haywire and accelerating on its own. Shut it off and ran through everything and tried it once more but still accelerating on it's own. I still have no adjusted the carbs or the idle due to trying to get the motor broken in first but I couldn't even get that far. Also I here a chattering sounds like metal from the gears? Already went bad ? First full tank? I would appreciate everyone's help or tips to point me in the right direction. Thanks

Ice_2k

New to this, need some tips help

Mine had the idle screw pretty tight from the factory and was moving on its own, without accelerating, give that a look. Also, look at the carb and see what happens with the lever when accelerating and braking (do it with the engine off). Braking shouldn't move it and accelerating should bring the hammer all the way down. If it doesn't, adjust the trim on the remote. And to avoid stressing the throttle servo, make sure when accelerating it's not trying to pull the carb hammer more than it can move.

Last edited by a moderator:

1fast lorinser

Thanks I'll check the carb when I go home and make sure everything is working properly but I'm leaning towards the throttle servo went bad because like I said earlier when I finally got it started for the first time, the first gas tank I went through everything was fine and I was just driving it around nice and easy to get a hang of everything and then as soon as the gas started to finish it started accelerating on its own. I played with the trim on the remote and I ended up putting the setting at the absolute lowest setting so I wouldn't be pushing the motor during break in. I'll give you guys an update as soon as I get home and run through what you guys described to me. Greatly appreciated guys

Ice_2k

Did you hear the revs go up when idling? Are you sure you weren't just too low on gas? That can cause a lean condition which increases revs

rcgasser

If its the end of a tank of gas maybe the motor was running lean which will make the engine rev higher.

1fast lorinser

Havnt got home from work yet to check out everything but yes the I could hear the revs increasing on its own and yes it was at the very end of the gas tank and I didn't want to add more because according to the Manuel, it says to run the car till there is no more gas in its system before putting it away which I wS already nervous about it from running away from me lol. Do you guys recommending putting some more gas in before I go through anything? Also where can I buy the remote engine kill switch?

Ice_2k

Most of the people here recommend not running the tank dry because, at the very end, you're running it very lean which robs the engine of lubrication. So yes, definetely gas it up before running again.

blak__jak

the one link that doesn't work was supposed to be for the killer bee kill switch but can't get the link to copy right so if you want to check that one out you'll have to go to killer r/c site. you can google it.

1fast lorinser

Hey guys I added some gas and it corrected the problem, like U guys said it must have been running lien as soon as it got to the end of the tank. It needed a little tampering with the needles on the carb but I got it right and now Im still breaking in my motor. I'll be ordering the kill switch tommorow, thanks a lot guys.

On my run today I let a friend mess around with it and ended up crashing it into a car :mad: and broke a the metal piece that the front axle gets turned by? Would that be the front differential that turn the little axle that goes to the wheel ? It's metal. Out of everything plastic he managed to break a metal part smh.

I'll try and get pictures for you guys.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts