• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

New to the RC World, Need upgrade advice!!

RampageCrusher

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Rampage MT Pro V3 to act as an RC obstacle platform for autonomous vehicle obstacle detection and avoidance testing. I work on 400 mt capacity mining haul trucks so there aren't too many volunteers for driving a vehicle in front of one at very very close proximity...lol. (Hence my user name) SO, what this means is that we have the standard MT Pro platform but are adding an additional ~5-7 lbs on top to act as the "obstacle." This has lead me to researching upgraded steering servos as im not sure the stock hexfly ones will cut it. In my research I found some information on going to a single servo which I believe will be the next step as I am experiencing a lot of "fighting" between the dual servos.

What I have so far is a savox 0236 steering servo and plan to use the futaba mount. We kind of purchased the savox on a wimb as it was locally available and we, at the time, were in a time crunch. We did this because we thought the steering servos went bad but really the steering linkages were all just too tight (my bad). Im sure the hexfly servos didn't like trying to push the over tightened steering around so we figured we would do a little upgrade. I wish I had just bought the Spektrum but I figured if the Savox doesn't work for us we can do that later as the Futaba mount should work for that also right?

My next purchase would be an upgraded battery pack but im having some trouble finding information on this. I would like to know everyones recommendations for 7.4v packs. In addition to this will anything else electrical need to be upgraded? Will the stock redcat receiver be okay? The throttle servo? Or should I plan to upgrade both?

Thanks in advance for the information. This is my first experience with large scale RC vehicles and its quite intimidating how much there is out there for these beasts. Therefore, any and all information or suggestions are very welcomed!

G-Man

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Rampage MT Pro V3 to act as an RC obstacle platform for autonomous vehicle obstacle detection and avoidance testing. I work on 400 mt capacity mining haul trucks so there aren't too many volunteers for driving a vehicle in front of one at very very close proximity...lol. (Hence my user name) SO, what this means is that we have the standard MT Pro platform but are adding an additional ~5-7 lbs on top to act as the "obstacle." This has lead me to researching upgraded steering servos as im not sure the stock hexfly ones will cut it. In my research I found some information on going to a single servo which I believe will be the next step as I am experiencing a lot of "fighting" between the dual servos.

What I have so far is a savox 0236 steering servo and plan to use the futaba mount. We kind of purchased the savox on a wimb as it was locally available and we, at the time, were in a time crunch. We did this because we thought the steering servos went bad but really the steering linkages were all just too tight (my bad). Im sure the hexfly servos didn't like trying to push the over tightened steering around so we figured we would do a little upgrade. I wish I had just bought the Spektrum but I figured if the Savox doesn't work for us we can do that later as the Futaba mount should work for that also right?

My next purchase would be an upgraded battery pack but im having some trouble finding information on this. I would like to know everyones recommendations for 7.4v packs. In addition to this will anything else electrical need to be upgraded? Will the stock redcat receiver be okay? The throttle servo? Or should I plan to upgrade both?

Thanks in advance for the information. This is my first experience with large scale RC vehicles and its quite intimidating how much there is out there for these beasts. Therefore, any and all information or suggestions are very welcomed!
I have went through numerous servos in my MT. I destroy almost every one I have installed. I used the Savox 0236 servo. It works ok till one good hit and the gears stripped. I then went to the Spektrum s9020, worked great for about 8 months and I stripped it too. I rebuilt it with new gears three times within a short period and decided to try another one. This time I went with the Hitec d845wp. It seems really good in this MT so far, I use it in two other 5ths and it works awesome. So time will tell.
I use a LRP 2s lipo receiver battery which I can't find anymore. I have another brand I am going to try, I want a backup. Here is a link to the lipo rx I am going to get https://www.ebay.com/itm/Associated...r+hump+battery&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0

G-Man

To answer the other questions. I use a Futaba radio system, the receiver is lipo capable. I also use a Savox 1210 throttle servo, Stock is scary when it fails. Also get a killer rc super bee remote killswitch if ya haven't already. Good Luck

RampageCrusher

To answer the other questions. I use a Futaba radio system, the receiver is lipo capable. I also use a Savox 1210 throttle servo, Stock is scary when it fails. Also get a killer rc super bee remote killswitch if ya haven't already. Good Luck

I was hoping you would chime in G-Man. I appreciate all of the information.

Pertaining to the Hitec d845wp servo; does this servo work with the Futaba mount also? Now while we will certainly be adding sprung mass, we wont be beating on the MT at this point (unfortunately) as we really just need it to drive on semi flat ground in mostly straight paths...I know I know. Very boring for something that has so much more potential.

So im assuming the stock rampage receiver is not lipo capable? Do I absolutely need to replace the throttle servo if I go to lipo batteries? Ill be ordering one of the killer rc kill switches here shortly. I have already had the throttle go full on me once...

G-Man

Yes unfortunately the stock receiver isn't lipo capable. As far as the stock throttle servo, I'd throw it as far as you can once you get it unbolted. It's junk

RampageCrusher

Thanks G-Man. My parts list as of right now includes a killerrc kill switch, futaba steering servo mount, and those two are the only definite items. Now depending on how much my boss wants to spend we will either get an upgraded radio system (futaba probably), upgrade the throttle servo to the savox and of course upgrade to the 7.4v lipo system. If we decided to keep it cheaper im thinking we will just do a castle creations BEC so that we can utilize the new savox steering servo while keeping the stock radio system and throttle servo. Lastly, the route we chose could also be a combination of the two.

Any suggestions on better than stock/cheaper than Futaba radio systems would be greatly appreciated.

G-Man

Good choice on radio. Ya man you can use a castle bec and run a power wire straight from the lipo to utilize the stock radio. The Savox 1210 doesn't need to be ran at 7.4v to function good. I've used it at 6v no problems. The steering servo I used that bec and ran a power wire like I said above with the stock radio. But you will want a better radio. It ddint take me long to ditch the stock one even after using the bec.

98cruiser

I changed my stock receiver and remote to SkyFly GT (yes I know its not the best).
can I us a Lipo with that, as well as Hexfly servos?
where can I find the metal arms for the Hexfly's , will the metal 25T work on them?
Thanks

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online