• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

New to the forum and Redcat in general and I need some advice.

Jammer55826

Hello Everyone,

I apologize in advance for the long post, but I have a lot of information to relay.

I recently purchased a Chimera EP, because I wanted a moderately priced way of entering the 5th scale RC scene. I have been reading through several threads on here and I need some recommendations from you guys and to clarify, that I am heading in the right direction. Let me start off with a little background information.

From day 1 the stock motor(980kv) didn't seem to run correctly. After only 5 minutes or so of driving, it was ridiculously hot. I installed cooling fans on it and made the mistake of thinking this would make enough of a difference, and I would be able to get a full run out of it. After about a 15 minute run, the motor was toast. I didn't mind too much, because the stock setup seemed awfully slow.

After some Googling, I found NovaRC/Kershaw designs and emailed them about their electric motor mount for this vehicle. Within a few days, Quinn gave me a call and we talked about what my options were. I told him that I primarily wanted to run 6s. He told me that I should run a Leopard 5892 1340kv motor with 18/41 gearing. This was a red flag to me. That gearing, with this motor, would make the car uncontrollable and more than likely burn the motor up within minutes. After mentioning my concerns with regard to motor heat, he assured me that this was what all of the "Redcat Guys" were running in this vehicle. He said that he was currently out of stock on the motor mounts and to call him back within 15 days to place an order.

It has been 45 days since that conversation, and I still have not been able to get a hold of Quinn again. I have emailed and called, and none of my messages were returned. While I was skeptical of his knowledge of motor gearing, I believed that this was the only way that I could get a motor conversion kit to run anything but the stock motor.

That is when I found this forum and 7075rc.com. I purchased the motor mount and cam from there in order to finally get a new motor for my Chimera. However, based on what I have seen in the forums here, the Leopard 5892 will only allow the use of up to a 13t pinion with the stock chassis. I noticed that many people were running the Leopard 5692 to allow more flexibility with pinion gearing. My initial thought was to run the 1340kv 5892 with stock gearing and 6s, however, from what I have read the run-times seem to be only around 10 minutes or so with this setup and the lower voltage from the 6s batteries can put a higher load on the motor.

I would like to get at least 20 minute run times while keeping my temps as low as possible. For now, I will be keeping the stock tires. I will be purchasing a Hobbywing Max 5 ESC as well. If I switch to 8s and run the 1000kv 5892, can I stick with the stock gearing of 41/11 or run 41/12 or 41/13? Will that setup give me at least 20 minute run times? Based on the speed calculator that I found, this puts me between 44 and 52mph, which would be an ideal speed. Has anyone had experience with this particular setup, or should I opt to go with the 5692 and different gearing? I don't want to overheat or over-stress a new motor. Most of the fields around my house have a lot of thick brush or tall grass, so I'm not sure how this factors in as well.

Thank you for any help that you can provide,
John

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online