• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

New to the forum and could use some help from the experts

Slater__boner

Hey guys I’m hoping y’all can help me out here I tuned it was driving fine till I checked the gears and took the three screws out holding the gears to the motor to use locktite on them I put everthing back together and almost seems like the clutch barely wants to engage when the wheels are off the ground moves stops perfect put her on the ground and it’s top speed if you can get it there is like 2 mph is the clutch fried for some reason? Any one else had this problem thank you guys in advance I really couldn’t find anything relating to what I’m going through I just can’t see how it could be the clutch

sunoco

with out starting it-- put it on a 5 gallon bucket, so the tires are mid air. leave the radio off.- spin the tires by hand - look and feel around the r-c while doing this-- look close to the disc brake in the center of the chassis-- the gears on my tranny have nuts- they can be over tightened- if you smelled hot clutch- its bound up bad somewhere- redcats have no center diff- the front and rear diffs are whats called open spool diffs-- no pump washers like limited slip diffs have inside-- spin the tires 2 at a time in a X pattern-- look and feel closely at all the drive parts--- check it out.

Slater__boner

No clutch smell but maybe not running it long enough for it to get to hot but I will try that in the morning

pfrederi1

Im no expert but maybe i can lend my 2 cents in addition to what sunoco suggested. I had a hard time figuring what you said but it sounds like the clutch is not engaging mid air but engages when on the ground???

In my experience you don't want to overtighten those "screws" nuts that hold the gears on. You shouldnt have to loctite those either because they are locknuts if its the ones i think youre talking about. try to loosen those a bit and make sure they turn freely by hand without binding. Or better yet place truck on the ground and push it by hand and see if it rolls freely without binding and such. Im curious to know what ur issue is myself.

Also wanted to add. Try to jiggle the brake pads with your finger and make sure theyre not adjusted too tightly against the discs. They should move freely when not engaged.

You also asked about smell but say youre not getting any smell?

Last edited:

Slater__boner

So no clutch smell I’ll try to word it better here when I have the car on the stand with the wheels off the ground and I give it gas all seems to be working good same with the breaks as soon you put her on the ground under its own wait and I mean full throttle it’s barely goin anywhere but there’s no clutch smell

Slater__boner

So update put everything back together starts right up I put it on the ground and it flys! For about 30 seconds.....now I’m giving it full throttle won’t move but gears are spinning super fast and when I press the breaks the gears still move?

pfrederi1

Thats a strange one dude. Well for one sounds like your brakes are not working either. You have to make some adjustments when you get the truck to make sure it works properly. Did you test your brakes to make sure you can stop?

Sounds like maybe you have a set screw loose on one of the gears somewhere that engages sometimes and not at others. If you feel comfortable i would strip it down (the gears) and make sure everythings in working order and theres no loose set screws. i had that problem. Im sure someone else can point you in the right direction.

manchinator

So update put everything back together starts right up I put it on the ground and it flys! For about 30 seconds.....now I’m giving it full throttle won’t move but gears are spinning super fast and when I press the breaks the gears still move?
Mine did the same thing. The gears are on square blocks that have set screws, ( grub screws). Mine had backed off and the gears were just spinning on the shafts. Pulled them out and put thread locker on them, found the flat spots on the shafts and reinstalled them, problem solved! BTW the two outer shafts have two set screws each. Hope this helps, Steve

Slater__boner

Mine did the same thing. The gears are on square blocks that have set screws, ( grub screws). Mine had backed off and the gears were just spinning on the shafts. Pulled them out and put thread locker on them, found the flat spots on the shafts and reinstalled them, problem solved! BTW the two outer shafts have two set screws each. Hope this helps, Steve
I’m gonna try that when I get home I’ll let you know how it goes Thank you!

manchinator

One other thing is that, on mine at least, is that the screws are covered by the gears so you may not see them until you slide the gears out a little.

Slater__boner

I took the gear on the left all the way off yesterday the two screw were tight I’m gonna check the other two gears I’m hoping that’s it! I want to drive the damn thing ?

Slater__boner

She’s back thanks to you guys?? It was the grub screws one was missing ? but had an extra somehow lying around DDE8D780-73E4-43C7-8ABE-CE02E374BBF3.jpeg

Slater__boner

It’s a day and night difference from the big mt wheels I liked the look but you can see why the servos don’t really last on these vehicles handling acceleration just way better I got them off eBay I’m trying to find them for you I can’t find the link

manchinator

Thanks, that would be great. I already have a spare set of DBXL rims/tires ready to go. Just need the hex conversion. Sill pretty stable with the narrower stance?

Slater__boner

Yes very stable handles I do feel like it sits a little lower to there not quiet as tall witch also helps with stability

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online