• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

New to Nitro

Bosanski

Hey guys, names Danny, went and bought 2 used Nitros.

got em for 100, both run but 1 needs a pull start. came with 2 new glow plugs and a gallon of fuel (unopened), controllers, plug ignitors and chargers, bodies, the whole works.

Only thing wrong with em is one of em needs the driveshaft put back on (have everthing except the grub screw(?), the other needs a battery for the servo (still works though), and a pull start.

i believe? they are Redcat Shockwaves as thats what the person said they were, they came with a redcat manual and like a tuning guide?.

both are almost 100% alike except for the bodies (one is orange/red and other is blue) and one have a VX-18 motor and the other is a VX-16 motor.

Can anyone help identify them? Ill get pictures soon.

also am having problems with the one i am keeping (giving other to my brother).

The one i am keeping has the VX-18 motor (also needs the driveshaft put back on)

Last night i was driving it (RWD didnt bother me so i left it for now [is this bad?]) and it was running fine. But this morning it started no problem, but when i give it some gas is hardly moves? its WOT and like crawling. and now is spitting out more from the exhaust, seems a bit less smoke and more gas coming out. Im new to Nitro so any help would be great!

Thanks guys!

Bosanski

alright, i found out that the one i am having problems with is a Redcat Tornado S30. The other i am giving to my brother (Redcat Shockwave)

if anyone can give me some help/advice id appreciate it! wana get this thing running better soon

RampageHopUps

Not really the right forum, we are mostly into Large Scale Gas here, but a few guys have had Nitro before. If not, try www.RCUniverse.com

andyken

Nitro can be a pain, some engines need to be tuned every run. Temp , humidity, glow plugs all effect it.. Sometimes they act up, O-rings and air leaks are the most common issues.

Bosanski

Yeah I've been seeing a lot of ppl have problems and wat causes it is almost always impossible to figure out because of so many possible factors. The more I've looked through the more I wonder why a lot of peopl still run nitro and not the larger gas models?

What are the pros/cons of the gas types?

I know upfront cost is one of em, fuel is cheaper than nitro. But what else is good and bad? Maybe if it seems better in the end ill possibly switch over.

Thanks for thr advice

andyken

There is a video on youtube... it says they all end up about the same $$$

Nitro is a bit cheaper, more of a challenge, but fuel is costly.

Gas is more up front, but fuel is cheap.

Electric cost more up front [batteries etc] but after that it's charge an go.

I have some nitro's that just run great! Others always need tuning....

G

The gassers are much more of an investment because they are huge. The larger the more costly. Also 5th scale overall is a smaller market which means manufactures have to charge a little more since they may be selling in smaller numbers.

The size makes it all worth it. 5th scale makes anything else look like a kids toy. :D I've owned a couple nitros and will never again. The only thing I miss is the awesome smell of nitro fuel. ;)

andyken

RCDAD said:
:D I've owned a couple nitros and will never again. The only thing I miss is the awesome smell of nitro fuel. ;)
And the sound as well..35,000 + rpm!

Bosanski

haha the smell and sound were the biggest reason i went nitro over electric.

there arent any local shops near me that sell anything over 1/8 and its either electric or nitro.

closest shop is 30 min away and guy is a total arse to anyone without a top name.

ill look into some of the 5th scale gassers and see wat i can find

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts