• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

New to fifth scale...

Jared185

Hi guys,
So I just recently bought my first fifth scale(been in hobby over 15 years) lol and first redcat for that matter the dunerunner. Honestly it looks like an awesome machine but have not run it yet honestly I'm a little nervous to run it until I get my dynamite kill switch tomarrow.

Anyway so I was wondering how these machines stacked up reliability wise to the hpi and losi 5th scale stuff. I've been hearing a lot
Of good things about the dunerunner. I didn't buy it because it was cheaper I bought it to test out the brand and to see if I like redcat.

Also besides upgrading the servos what are some good modifications that can and need to be done?

Any other help to a 5 scale noob like me would be great?

Dobber72

Hi guys,
So I just recently bought my first fifth scale(been in hobby over 15 years) lol and first redcat for that matter the dunerunner. Honestly it looks like an awesome machine but have not run it yet honestly I'm a little nervous to run it until I get my dynamite kill switch tomarrow.

Anyway so I was wondering how these machines stacked up reliability wise to the hpi and losi 5th scale stuff. I've been hearing a lot
Of good things about the dunerunner. I didn't buy it because it was cheaper I bought it to test out the brand and to see if I like redcat.

Also besides upgrading the servos what are some good modifications that can and need to be done?

Any other help to a 5 scale noob like me would be great?
From what I've learned I would vent the fuel cap,install a 8000 rpm clutch for sure,and a jetpro pipe.

Jonny5

I got a dunerunner and enjoy it. Lot of car for fair price. They are cheaper for a reason. Quality control is a bit low. You will run into a few problems. Things will vibrate loose and things will need to be tweaked. The precision is not as good as say a hpi or losi. But once you get the bugs out they are great cars. So if you don't mind doing a bit more work in the beginning then save several hundred and buy redcat.

Dupp

I'd recommend the killer bee kill switch/fail-safe combo. While the dynamite is a good product, if you're throttle servo malfunctions and get stuck wide open it won't help you. It's only for low voltage or low signal. Killer bee will let you kill it from the remote.

Petrolheadz100

My throttle servo died on me today while i had it open throttle and somehow it went back to center which is how i know it died, had no controls from the tx but when i grabbed the arm and tried to move it it wanted to center, weird and then it stopped for good i can move it freely. Not to mention i had both of my servos die now the steering toasted and smoked on powerup 2 weeks ago and now my throttle....i guess hexfly chinese servos are really not good going to search for a good hitec throttle servo...back to he point about losing a throttle servo while running is a bit scary especially without a killswitch but somethings holding me back from getting one......

Jonny5

I would swap steering and throttle connectors. Kinda weird that servo died but still wanted to center. Usually just stop working or go to max in either direction. Im personally leaning towards reciver or controller.

Dupp

don't know but i was saved from a possible runaway, thinking on ordering now the dynamite kill sw

See my above post. The dynamite kill switch wouldnt have helped you had your throttle servo stuck wide open. It's only for a low voltage scenario. You got lucky. I have had one on my MT but replaced it with the killer bee. Spend the extra, it's well worth the total protection.

Petrolheadz100

See my above post. The dynamite kill switch wouldnt have helped you had your throttle servo stuck wide open. It's only for a low voltage scenario. You got lucky. I have had one on my MT but replaced it with the killer bee. Spend the extra, it's well worth the total protection.
Wait, why would you say he dynamite would only work on low voltage? Isnt the point to be able to kill the engine from the tx at any given time? Not only if it detects low voltage

Dupp

Wait, why would you say he dynamite would only work on low voltage? Isnt the point to be able to kill the engine from the tx at any given time? Not only if it detects low voltage

The dynamite is a "kill switch" meaning it will cut power if there is low voltage or similar it will kill the power to the truck. The Kill Bee is a kill switch and a fail safe combo meaning if a servo malfunctions or you get some random interference you can kill the motor to the truck via your remote. This also means your electronics still function properly so you can break, steer, etc. It runs off your 3rd Channel on your receiver. I use mine all the time when I wana simply turn off the truck instead of reaching through the body and hitting the mounted kill switch on the motor.

Petrolheadz100

Thwn their description must be incorrect because it states kll the motor by command ( meaning transmitter at any time) if this is not an option thats the whole point i need is to be able to remotely kill the motor , if thats not possible then its going back, i understand by oher owners it functions remotely same as killer switch, something not right here. You guys must be talking about another killswitch because the dynamite works identical to the killer , youtube has videos to prove and many stated its just as good at a fraction of the price....

Dupp

Thwn their description must be incorrect because it states kll the motor by command ( meaning transmitter at any time) if this is not an option thats the whole point i need is to be able to remotely kill the motor , if thats not possible then its going back, i understand by oher owners it functions remotely same as killer switch, something not right here. You guys must be talking about another killswitch because the dynamite works identical to the killer , youtube has videos to prove and many stated its just as good at a fraction of the price....

I just downloaded there install instructions. I apologize for the misleading information apparently they have revamped their kill switch. The one I removed from my truck does not do this. It is only a voltage senario. It doesn't have the option to connect via third Channel. Thank you for the correction in this thread. I was unaware of this change.

Dobber72

I've got a Dynamite kill switch on mine with all the buzzers, lites same as the killer bee for alot less and I've had the killer bee and there is no sense in wasting more money for the name when you can spend it on other goodies for your rig.

Dupp

And this is why we are all here, to learn from each others personal experiences. I love my KillerBee just the same. For the more advanced they may want such features as temperature shut off, etc. For us basics Im sure the dynamite will function just fine. Thanks for the imput. There can never be enough goodies Lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.