• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

New MT V3 32cc died 2.5 tanks into break in.

Slimneill

Hi I am completely frustrated,

I was performing the break in according to the manual and was 2.5 tanks into the process when the motor turned off. It's never been above 1/4 throttle. I have been trying to restart it for 2 days now with no success at all beside a blasts red hand and a sore arm and back.

I have tried with the choke on and off, I am getting fuel, It spits black out the exhaust every pull start. I crack the fuel lid slightly to let air in. I've pulled the spark plug and used brake cleaner to clean the residue and checked the gap. I even bought a new spark plug and have had no luck with the change. I let it sit when it floods and try again later...

This is my first gas rc. Does anyone know what the proper setting are from the factory for the high, low and idle for the break in? I don't know if it's the carb or something else.

Please help!

Thanks in advance Dan

Ildy666

Do u have spark?take the plug out connect the plug wire to it ground the plug to the head and pull see if u can see spark.

Ice_2k

With the stock carb my 32cc took about 3 pulls to pop with the choke on and then another 3 to start with the choke off. I'm now having some starting issues of my own after replacing the carb but that's another story.

After pulling multiple times, is your spark plug wet? With the choke on, are you getting it to pop? Did you try giving your idle screw a turn or two to make sure you have enough throttle to idle?

Sometimes when I'm having problems starting it, I pull while holding the throttle WOT, seems to help with a flooding engine. Just make sure to remember to release the throttle as soon as you hear it, or else :)

If all else fails, it may be that your carb died. I had no issues with my stock carb but people here say they're not the best, so who knows. You could get in touch with Nathan at Redcat, I understand they have quite good support, maybe he'll send you a replacement if the carb turns out to be the culprit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slimneill

Ice_2k said:
With the stock carb my 32cc took about 3 pulls to pop with the choke on and then another 3 to start with the choke off. I'm now having some starting issues of my own after replacing the carb but that's another story. After pulling multiple times, is your spark plug wet? With the choke on, are you getting it to pop? Did you try giving your idle screw a turn or two to make sure you have enough throttle to idle?

Sometimes when I'm having problems starting it, I pull while holding the throttle WOT, seems to help with a flooding engine. Just make sure to remember to release the throttle as soon as you hear it, or else :)

If all else fails, it may be that your carb died. I had no issues with my stock carb but people here say they're not the best, so who knows. You could get in touch with Nathan at Redcat, I understand they have quite good support, maybe he'll send you a replacement if the carb turns out to be the culprit.
Yes, the spark plug is wet after a few pulls.

No I don't get any noticeable combustion popping with or with out the choke.

I will give the idle screw a tweak next.

I keep the servo with slight tension on the throttle linkage but haven't tried giving it throttle. It seems to flood so easy with out my help.

Does Nathan have an account here?

Thanks iceman, stay tuned.

Ice_2k

I don't know if he has an account here, I only talked to him by email - [email protected]

As far as I understand it (I just received this advice myself a few weeks ago and it seems to work) holding WOT while starting actually helps with a flooding engine, not making it worst.

Yes, close LSN/HSN all the way (clockwise) without tightening and then open counter-clockwise the correct number of turns (1 turn = 360deg). It's explained perfectly in OBR's tuning & breakin video:

Slimneill

I tried with more throttle but nothing happens.

When I pull the plug I get slight smoke/mist that comes out the spark plug hole. I'm not sure if that's from combustion or just gas leaving the cylinder.

What is the proper setting the idle?

Ice_2k

Mine is about 2 turns out but I don't think it's the same on every carb, depends first of all on your LSN setting (leaner LSN = higher idle revs => different idle screw position to get the idle rpm (3500-4000 in my case)). Just leave it something safe like 1 turn out and when it starts, it will probably idle too high and the truck will move a little on its own, then you can dial it down and find the sweet spot. Until then... maybe some of the more experienced guys can chime in, other than a problem with the carb I'm out of ideas.

P.S. I don't suppose you have someone that can lend you a carb for testing, do you?

BertR

I would remove the tension from the throttle and set the lsn at 1 turn out and set the idle screw to where it just starts to move the throttle valve. If you have tension on throttle valve and throttle linkage it may be flooding it out before you hit your 2 pull. The mist you see is fuel vaper not smoke . if it's spitting sludge out of the pipe its flooded to the 9's... Pull the plug and flip the car upside down and yank the rope a few times to clear the chamber.

Slimneill

I tried every trick in the OBR video, I tried what BerT suggested with the idle screw, I've gotten no where but frustrated. It won't even make a pop sound, just endless turning over. I'm starting to think I've run out of options.

No one around me drives 1/5 scale so I'm on my own in terms of getting his thing to start.

BertR

Have you reset the gap on the coil to the flywheel.. It's a long shot but worth a try. Some claim that is the all mighty fix to starting but I have had coils come loose flopping around bouncing off the wheel and still started. If you have spark and obviously have fuel to the engine the problem most likely the settings on the carb or carb it self.

scooby61

My coil made spark but not enough looked OK but when I replaced the coil fired right up. Perhaps your coils bad.

Slimneill

Yeah I told them the issue. They told me to ship the truck back to them which would have been over $200 one way from Canada to Arizona. I said forget it.

I told them to read this, They are sending a new coil. I'm not very optimistic at this point....

csp1971

Contributor
Slimneill- where are you located at? You should put in your location.

I had an issue like that when I bought my first Baja and couldn't get it started. Someone in the Baja Forum was close to me, came over, and helped me sort out the issue.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts