• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

New issue with my NEW Rampage XT

newls1

Ok, havent even had 10 minutes for play time on this truck so far after break in and a new (possibly) severe issue has come up. Very hard to explain, but ill do my best.... There was an obvious smell of burning plastic/brake an a MAJOR engine drag, and truck stalled out. Can restart with no issue and sounds fine, still tuned rich, then the engine drag got worse and the smell came back, now my tires are locked up. I cant push truck foward or backward as it feels like the breaks are applied 100% all the time. Not sure if my disc brakes are stuck or this brand new truck has a blown engine maybe.... have no clue. Carb is still tuned very rich tho. Pretty much just fininshed the break in procedure (did it on a box with tires off ground) I pulled the transmission plastic cover off, and there is no metal flakes or broken stuff in there that I can tell. 1 of the nuts that screw the gears in was loose so I tightened it, other then that I replaced cover. Now, where the brakes are on this truck, above the box they reside in there is that metal arm that the servo activates to apply the breaks, that arm doesn't move AT ALL,, should it??? Thinking this may be my problem and my breaks are stuck on... Any of this writting making sense, or do I need to make a video? Thanks guys for any assistance.

designed2survive

Now, where the brakes are on this truck, above the box they reside in there is that metal arm that the servo activates to apply the breaks, that arm doesn't move AT ALL,, should it???

If it doesn't move at all like you said, then your brakes are locked and you need to investigate why by taking it apart.

newls1

this truck is made like CRAP!!

designed2survive

this truck is made like CRAP!!

I don't know if that was intended to ask for help. If you give up at the first issue, it won't get any better. Up until now your truck was fine. Things happen; take it apart and see what's going on.

Anyway, that's my advice and I think I'm going to step aside now.

newls1

someone told me to do this,

"have you check the grub screw on the input gear? im talking about where your brake disk are riding on.i broke a grub screw couple months ago and it would rev great but wouldnt go no wear.so i would check that,"

How do i begin to find where this is located at?

newls1

finally got home from a 48hr shift and took apart most of the truck and got a real good look at what I thought might have been my brakes locked up, and its not. took that system all apart, inspected and reassembled. cleaned complete trk and same issue still. Is it possible its a broke clutch or spring? Let me explain my issue again:

after about 30 seconds upon start up, the driveline locks up, takes A LOT of force to propel truck foward... something binds down once engine / transmission hit operating temp range. This is a brand new truck, might have 10 minutes of play time on it.... this is really depressing. any help please

Mechanic

Doesn't sound like your clutch because the motor would stall when you hit the brakes. You need to isolate each system and check for binding when it happens again, I assume things free up when cooled down? Could be trans, brakes(if not adjusted properly), centre drive pinion/ring gear, front or rear differentials, or even seized wheel bearings. Get to know your truck intimately, you will need to maintain and repair things in the future so starting with a problem is good experience. I myself would look closer at the brake operation, servo might be causing drag while running that you are unaware of.

newls1

its not brakes at all. i completely disabled the brakes and same issue

Mechanic

If you are confident it's not the brakes then move on to the next system. Trans would show visible discolouration/ distress if the gears got that hot. I am taking the "when something gets hot" it binds approach here, maybe the front or rear diff crown/pinion gears failed to be greased at the factory.... Check them, it is likely to be a simple thing. I am confident in your ability to diagnose this because you more than likely have worked on smaller scale RC's. Same stuff here just bigger. Don't let frustration get the best of you either, my trucks not "made like crap" and neither is yours. This is fixable and upgrade parts/ parts are readily available and the potential to have a cool truck is worth the time it takes to troubleshoot this.

newls1

Thanks for the reply again, appreciated. question....... The plastic cover that covers the trans gears i had removed after break in to "Look" and see what it looks like behind it. I tightened all the gear lock nuts tight as they all moved about a 1/4 turn.. was i not supposed to tighten them down all the way.... just thought of this!

Phill

Thanks for the reply again, appreciated. question....... The plastic cover that covers the trans gears i had removed after break in to "Look" and see what it looks like behind it. I tightened all the gear lock nuts tight as they all moved about a 1/4 turn.. was i not supposed to tighten them down all the way.... just thought of this!
That may well be it

Mechanic

I've read some trucks have an issue with that. Check your free play of the gears on the shafts to the bearings(not gear to gear), if minimal they would bind up when hot. Try removing them and clean the threads and nuts with a brake clean to remove any oils, then install with blue locktite allowing more freeplay. Prep is the success of using locktite and many overlook cleaning the bolts/nuts of manufacturing oils before use. Allow to set for 24 hours before running too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.