• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

New Dune Runner, won't start.

DaveG

Hello everyone,

Newbie here with gas RC vehicles. I can not get my Dune Runner to fire up. I ended up flooding the engine so now I have to wait a few days before trying again unfortunately. I've searched these forums and have found a few other topics similar to mine, but unfortunately being new to gas rc vehicles, my terminology and lack of technical skills probably aren't helping much.

I mixed my fuel 20:1. I filled up the tank this morning. Made sure the gas cap wasn't extremely tight so the tank could vent. Tested the radio and all is good there. Pressed the bulb on the carburetor 3 or 4 times and it filled up with gas. Turned the choke down and pulled multiple times and nothing. Turned it back up for a couple tries, nothing. Turned it back down again for 4 or 5 tries and nothing. I replaced the spark plug, nothing.

I repeated trying to start it several more times today and now I'm stuck with a flooded engine, along with fuel spitting out the exhaust. I also tried resetting the low and high needles which also didn't change anything. I'm stuck and not sure what to do. I kinda feel like I'm out $650 bucks and it's extremely disappointing.

Phill

DaveG said:
Hello everyone,Newbie here with gas RC vehicles. I can not get my Dune Runner to fire up. I ended up flooding the engine so now I have to wait a few days before trying again unfortunately. I've searched these forums and have found a few other topics similar to mine, but unfortunately being new to gas rc vehicles, my terminology and lack of technical skills probably aren't helping much.

I mixed my fuel 20:1. I filled up the tank this morning. Made sure the gas cap wasn't extremely tight so the tank could vent. Tested the radio and all is good there. Pressed the bulb on the carburetor 3 or 4 times and it filled up with gas. Turned the choke down and pulled multiple times and nothing. Turned it back up for a couple tries, nothing. Turned it back down again for 4 or 5 tries and nothing. I replaced the spark plug, nothing.

I repeated trying to start it several more times today and now I'm stuck with a flooded engine, along with fuel spitting out the exhaust. I also tried resetting the low and high needles which also didn't change anything. I'm stuck and not sure what to do. I kinda feel like I'm out $650 bucks and it's extremely disappointing.
Did you check for spark??

If all else fails a tiny squirt of starting fluid should get her going.

If she's been flooded there'll be enough lube in there.

I would mix fuel at 25:1

DaveG

Phill said:
Did you check for spark??If all else fails a tiny squirt of starting fluid should get her going.

If she's been flooded there'll be enough lube in there.

I would mix fuel at 25:1
I did check for spark, no problems there. One other interesting thing I noticed while having the spark plug out, is how smooth the pull start is. As soon as I place the spark plug back into the engine, the pull start is so jerky I can basically lift the car off the ground.

Phill

DaveG said:
I did check for spark, no problems there. One other interesting thing I noticed while having the spark plug out, is how smooth the pull start is. As soon as I place the spark plug back into the engine, the pull start is so jerky I can basically lift the car off the ground.
Tha'ts the way it should be.

You have no compression with the plug out.

Most of us stand on the back tyre to hold the car down while starting.

DaveG

Phill said:
Tha'ts the way it should be.You have no compression with the plug out.

Most of us stand on the back tyre to hold the car down while starting.
Good to know. I'll give it a try again in a few days. Hopefully with different results.

DaveG

If I did have to use starter fluid, would I just squirt it in the chamber where the spark plug goes?

Ice_2k

You don't need to wait a few days for flooding. Just remove the spark plug, turn the car over and pull the pull start 10 times or so, this will spit out the excess gas through the spark plug hole. Next, make sure your LSN is at 1 1/4 and your HSN at 1 1/2 and try again. When pulling, pull on the pull start slowly until you feel it engage, then pull fast. Make sure your pulls are long enough, I saw a guy on youtube trying to start a Dunerunner like you start a nitro, with very short pulls, like 20cm, that's not the way to do it. Regarding the car jumping, I keep my left hand on top of the rollcage while pulling with my right hand. Also, if you still can't get it going, have someone hold the throttle on the remote slightly pushed. If it starts this way but then dies when letting go of the throttle, you need to adjust your idle screw clockwise. Being your first time and not knowing exactly what you're doing and what the current settings are, I would recommend having the wheels of the ground for this.

I've been in your exact situation 8 months ago when I got my DR, I didn't understand half the terms the guys here were using, but don't worry. Once you get the hang of it, you're absolutely gonna love it!

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveG

Ice_2k said:
You don't need to wait a few days for flooding. Just remove the spark plug, turn the car over and pull the pull start 10 times or so, this will spit out the excess gas through the spark plug hole. Next, make sure your LSN is at 1 1/4 and your HSN at 1 1/2 and try again. When pulling, pull on the pull start slowly until you feel it engage, then pull fast. Make sure your pulls are long enough, I saw a guy on youtube trying to start a Dunerunner like you start a nitro, with very short pulls, like 20cm, that's not the way to do it. Regarding the car jumping, I keep my left hand on top of the rollcage while pulling with my right hand. Also, if you still can't get it going, have someone hold the throttle on the remote slightly pushed. If it starts this way but then dies when letting go of the throttle, you need to adjust your idle screw clockwise. Being your first time and not knowing exactly what you're doing and what the current settings are, I would recommend having the wheels of the ground for this. I've been in your exact situation 8 months ago when I got my DR, I didn't understand half the terms the guys here were using, but don't worry. Once you get the hang of it, you're absolutely gonna love it!
I was searching around and found your thread about all of the upgrades you were doing with yours, lots of great photos and info there. Regarding the Tarmac busters, did you have to purchase any type of adapter to fit these to the dunerunner?

talunceford

Yes, no need to wait a couple days for a flooded engine. Pull the plug, give it a good couple yanks without the plug in it, and put the plug back in. Also, make sure your choke is set in the down position for the first pull. Set it about half way for the next couple pulls until it acts like it wants to run. One thing to remember too, is to check your carb settings. The factory settings on the carbs are 1 1/4 turns out (counter clockwise from completely shut) on the low needle (the little black screw closest to the engine, and 1 1/2 turns out on the high speed needle (the farthest little black screw from the engine). Also, when resetting the needles, turn them completely shut (clockwise, until they stop), but not too tight. Those are starting points for setting your high and low speed needles. Start from the closed needle position and work out from there. There are plenty of videos on youtube on how to do this. I would recommend watching this one.

http://www.oneillbrothers.com/blog/breakin/

Factory motors do not come with the WT-990 carbs unless specified, the HY motors that Redcat comes with I believe are the WT-668 carbs, which have the choke and Dan addresses those carb settings in the video. So watch the video and take some notes, especially if you haven't ever messed with a 2 stroke engine before. Be patient, don't just yank on the pull start (as you will end up breaking it eventually) and take your time. It will start to make sense, especially after watching the video.

Ice_2k

talunceford said:
the HY motors that Redcat comes with I believe are the WT-668 carbs, which have the choke and Dan addresses those carb settings in the video.
That was correct for the 30.5cc engines. The new 32cc seems to come with a carb similar to the WT-1107

GCraig

DaveG said:
Hello everyone,Newbie here with gas RC vehicles. I can not get my Dune Runner to fire up. I ended up flooding the engine so now I have to wait a few days before trying again unfortunately. I've searched these forums and have found a few other topics similar to mine, but unfortunately being new to gas rc vehicles, my terminology and lack of technical skills probably aren't helping much.

You need to make your fuel ratio mix 25:1 for a new car...

Then check to see if you flooded the engine? If so then drain the fuel tank, remove the spark plug, turn vehicle upside down and pull starter cord several times to unflood engine.

Phill

GCraig said:
You need to make your fuel ratio mix 25:1 for a new car...Then check to see if you flooded the engine? If so then drain the fuel tank, remove the spark plug, turn vehicle upside down and pull starter cord several times to unflood engine.
Check for spark and if you have it give her a squirt of starter fluid through the air filter.

That'll unflood her.

Make sure you have the wheels off the ground.

Ice_2k

GCraig said:
You need to make your fuel ratio mix 25:1 for a new car...Then check to see if you flooded the engine? If so then drain the fuel tank, remove the spark plug, turn vehicle upside down and pull starter cord several times to unflood engine.
20:1 is fine for breakin. And why drain the fuel tank?...

GCraig

Cuz the fuel tank has a clunk filter in it so even when it's upside down it's still getting fuel to the engine. Keep feeding fuel to a flooded engine it will never unflood.

Ice_2k

I'm pretty sure that's not correct. Even intentionally sucking fuel directly from the tank by pushing the primer bulb doesn't put fuel in the engine.

GCraig

I know what I'm talking about dude. I work on rc cars for a living and have been for 10 years now. The 5th scale line for 2 of the 10 years. When you pump the primer bulb it does not put fuel into the engine. That just pressures put the tank. Pulling the starter cord puts fuel into the engine.

Ice_2k

Ok, now I see what you meant. What you said initially didn't involve any cord pulling, I thought you were saying that turning the car over would cause fuel to go into the engine, which seemed weird :) Ma' bad.

But even so, I don't think emptying the tank will do any good to be honest, for several reasons:

• any fuel it does feed to the engine when pulling the cord will just get thrown out through the plug hole
  • the fuel lines and fuel filter are full of gas anyway so you'll be sucking fuel even if you empty the tank first, you're not gonna empty those with 10 pulls
  • i saw a lot of people recommending this procedure without any mention of emptying the tank and personally I've done this a few times and it's always worked just fine
  • even if this would be a serious problem, I think it would be a lot easier to roll the car towards the side without the fuel filter in it, that way the fuel filter will no longer be in the fuel (supposing the tank is not completely full)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts