• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

needing help!!!

Oscar33

Well i just received my pro, charged the pack and headed outside, literally as soon as i pulled the cord the motor rowred to life, and the truck started to take off luckily enough i was holding onto her and was able to pick her up and hit the kill switch, didnt realize just how much torque these things have!

so after i finished a beer and let the nerves settle down, i started thinking and pulled the stand out and fired her up on that, the wheels turn right off the back, backed the needle down and to the point were she died cause there was no fuel, the entire time the wheels are still spinning!

after finally getting the screws out of the bottom of the motor!! ( WHich was a bitch btw!) i got the motor off the clutch looks fine and the spring is still in one piece, i pulled the plug and was a browny kinda gunky looking, cleaned it off when i pull the cord with no plug shes spins alot easier, but with plug in its kinda got a da dunk kinda sound when pulling, hard to explain, although personally does not sound all the different to my weedwacker just that it was alot harder to pull start!

neways only had the truck for 2 days and ive already gotten a massive cut on my hand and she almost dragged me across my backyard, THIS SUCKS!!

although i do know when i get her up and running, i will be laughing but until that point im getting frustrated, anyone have any ideas?

Cheers and many thanks in advance!

Oscar

Oscar33

and as for how hard it is to pull start without plug i can use one hand and just pull with a finger holding the motor down, although when the spark plug is it i have to use all my force to pull the cord as well as holding the motor down, nd even then i can only get maybe 1-2 cycles out of it?

DemonRC

Oscar33 said:
and as for how hard it is to pull start without plug i can use one hand and just pull with a finger holding the motor down, although when the spark plug is it i have to use all my force to pull the cord as well as holding the motor down, nd even then i can only get maybe 1-2 cycles out of it?
That sounds hydro-locked (flooded) to me. Take the plug out and let it sit for an hour to evaporate any fuel in there. Make sure the piston is at the bottom of it's stroke. After and hour, put the plug back in and prime the bulb just untill fuel enters it. Then put the choke on (pointing down). You should get it to want to start within a pull or two. Don't worry about it dying immediatly. With the choke on you just want to hear it want to start. Don't pull on it anymore with the choke on. Now put the choke lever in the run position (horizontal) and try to start it. It should fire within a few pulls.

This is all assuming that you haven't put the H and L needles out of adjustment. The stock settings on the needles are 1 1/4 out on L and 1 1/2 out on H. You may need to check to see if they were set correctly from the factory.

hamster huey

I have found if you have the h+l on 1.5 and 1.25 as catchaser said you can un-hydrolock the engine just like a full size 1968 dodge. Open the choke all the way, hold throttle full open on transmitter, and pull and pull and pull and pull and pull and pull. After quite a few pulls mine stumbled, stumbled, stumbled, started. Than I blip it wide open a bunch to clear out the richness. I end up getting it started in under 10 minutes this way. I have hydrolocked mine twice and after lots of swearing and then realising it was flooded it occured to me, hey this is a gasoline engine like a car, I can start a flooded car so why not try the same thing with the old Ramp? and it worked. I tried pulling the plug like a nitro and clearing the lines by pulling the starter but that did not immediatly work.

Oscar33

well definately was hydrolocked, so figured that out, and i also figured out the clutch problem, frrom the gear plate to the motor the 3 srews i took off, thinking that they were for the gear cover, well after looking through some pics found out what they were so im pretty sure when i get her all buttoned up she will be good to go!

In the mean time 6 strip head on the bottom and i cant get the last 3 out wtf am i doing wrong here i was using the right size allen key, and a butane torch and still cant get them to budge! arghhhhhh!

kryptonite

check your allen keys. that is always the main source of stripping hardware. you must use good quality keys. not the ones that come with the kit. and not ball end keys eather. the stock hardware isnt the best, but with good fresh keys you wont have any issues.. it could have been hydro locked, but it still has alot of compression compared to other small engines. i have to put my foot on the back tire on my mt to crank it over

camtunkpa

I don't mean to sound rude or anything,b ut did you check to make sure the throttle/brake servo was set up properly and working before you started it?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online