• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Need tuning help

Ice_2k

Hey guys,

I ran into some issues tuning my carb. I have the 32cc with a Jetpro and a WT-1107 carb and I can't seem to get it running fine. There are a few problems:

1. It's way slower than it was with the stock carb. It's actually even slower off the line than it was in 100% stock setup (keep in mind that it now also has the 8k clutch).

2. I have the LSN at about 1 or a little less and the HSN at 1 1/2. It launches roughly the same it did when it was 100% stock which is really weird because with just the jetpro and the 8k clutch it was a beast. After adding the WT-1107 it all went south. The really weird part is that leaning the HSN just 1/16 (so getting to 1 7/16) it bogs down real nasty when launching, something like

. I don't understand why leaning has that effect. I tried also leaning or richening the LSN at this point but there was not much improvement.
3. Sometimes it really starts running BAD, it basically hardly gets going. The more times I try launching it, the worst it goes.

4. After getting back home, I noticed my primer bulb was empty which struck my as weird, as I never saw that on my stock carb. I tried priming it again and some fuel gets into it, but it doesn't fill up. It worked fine the first time I did it but after running the car, not so much. The fuel lines look fine.

Any thoughts? I'm really tempted to switch back to my stock carb, it worked MUCH better than it is now.

[sOLVED: Defective carb, simple as that.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Phill

Check to see if the fuel filter is still on the line.

Occasionally they can come off and let the line float up out of the fuel

Ice_2k

I checked that already, it's ok. Fuel is coming to bulb, it's just not staying there...

Phill

Just looked at vids - not good

Has it got good compression?

If it's a 2 bolt it might be worth checking the head gasket and bolt torque.

Phill

Ice_2k said:
I checked that already, it's ok. Fuel is coming to bulb, it's just not staying there...
Did you make sure the small holes in the carb,gasket and manifold are all lined up?

Ice_2k

I guess I'll take the air filter off and check again.

Ice_2k

But that couldn't cause the primer bulb not filling up problem, right? Especially since it's been working before running the car.

Ice_2k

Right, but the primer bulb still should fill up when pressing it, regardless of the pulse hole.

Phill

Yep

That's why I asked about the filter.

The only other thing I can think of is a dud carb from the factory

Putting the old one back on might be the best way to go

Ice_2k

Funny thing, I went back to the car, about 4 hours passed... the primer bulb was FULL (and when I say full I mean not even the smallest air bubble). How the hell did that happen?!

Ice_2k

They look fine, at least as far as I can see... :| Could there be a problem in the carb that caused the problem when it was hot?

Ice_2k

I spent an hour last night trying to get it started again and it was completely dead, no signs of it wanting to start up. Since the car was last working fine I added the vertigo vented clutch housing (obviously not at fault here), the ADA RC intake manifold and the WT-1107 carb. Given the weird behaviour of the primer bulb after running the car, I considered the carb to be the most likely culprit and installed back my stock carb. What do ya know, car started on the 3rd pull. Unfortunately it was 11pm so I couldn't run it without facing the wrath of my neighbors :) ) so I don't know if the performance came back as well, but hey, at least it started.

On the bright side, DDM were spectacularly helpful and said they'll send me a new carb, free of charge.

blak__jak

did you possibility install the carb gasket upside down. there's a small pulse hole in the gasket that has to line up with hole in carb. the gasket can easily be installed to cover the hole thus causing a no run situation.

Ice_2k

I'm new in the hobby but I'm not dumb :) Also, I ran the car for over an hour, I don't think covering the pulse hole would allow it to run at all.

Anyway, I went back out with my stock carb and maaaan, is it fast now :) It also popped on the very first pull with the choke on and then started on the 3rd pull with the choke off, night & day difference. Compare yesterday's launch with today's:

WT-1107 tuned as good as possible: [ame]

[/ame]

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.