• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Need Brushless motor setup help Pls

captbags

I'm new to Redcat and 1/5th scale Brushless. I'm buying an XBE or Chimera EP soon (can't decide). I was going to purchase from Kershaw and get it with the Leopard 4292 1480KV. Then I started reading about motor mounts not having room to change pinions and different Motor KV's for different setups (ex Leopard 5882 1360KV).

Are these motors actually different size cans and may have trouble fitting in the car? I see some of the 1/5th scale motors are huge and, some are a little smaller. I'm having a hard time with the differences.

Bottom line I'm going to run 6 cell lipo for now but I want to change the tires to something a little bigger. Please help me pick the best motor setup with ability to changed pinions to compensate tire size.

Thanks in advance!

captbags

To clarify - I understand what KV is but just not what KV is best for this car with what pinion for which size tires. What is the stock pinion size? What size will I need to swap to Baja 5 size tires?

I think the stock motor is in the 980KV range and I read it is to slow. I assume the setup Kershaw designs sells with the Leopard 4292 1480KV is a popular one but is it best for me and running my tires from my Baja 5B gasser? The other option for the Leopard 5882 1360KV = since the model numbers are different does that mean they are different size and KV or just different KV?

Any chance I stay with the stock motor because of the lower KV and, supposed more torque for the bigger tires?

Thanks for the Edjmacation! lol

Ol' fart

7075rc.com

My 2 cents.

Pick a motor with KV under 1000. Adjust the gear ratio after you have desided which tires you will run. If your KV is high or your gearing is high you will generate too much heat. Heat will kill your motor and your ESC.

I make a motor mount with gears from 10/48 thru 16/44 It will except motors up to the 2028CC. This is the widest range of gears avalible.

captbags

Thanks OF. So I guess I just stick to the stock motor which I read is somewhere around 980kv and gear up? Do I have the ability to change pinion gear with stock setup at all?

I wonder why so many ppl switch to higher KV motors if below 1000KV is best? I was reading in another thread here that some leopard motors around 1360KV are "screamers with no heat issues. http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/showthread.php?t=14152

How big are these motors? Are they bigger in can size than the castle motor on my Brushless E-Maxx? That motor is bigger (longer) than a standard 540 size motor.

Ol' fart

You can chose between 10T and 11T

Motors that run around 1350KV are good for "buggy" type tires. When you go bigger you'll have to gear down or things will get hot

They are all bigger than the stock motor

captbags

Don't think all my questions are answered but thanks for the input! Not sure why anyone would spend all that money on a different motor and mount if the stock one is the best setup.

So it is not worth buying higher KV motor because the bigger scale of the cars? Should I just stick to the stock motor since it is under 1000KV? Then use a 10 tooth pinion for the big tires and 11 tooth for the stock smaller tires?

Anyone else have an opinion or another setup that is superior to the stock motor?

captbags

No one else out there with opinions or thoughts? I'm wondering why places like Kershaw Designs sell the Buggies with upgrade motor options? If Ole Fart is right about the stock motor being the best at under 1000KV?

Ol' fart

let me add to this. The KV has nothing to do with the cost or quality of the motor. Higher KV is not an upgrade. It is higher RPM per volt. The CC 2028 runs at 780KV and it has much more power that the stock motor at 980KV

If you want more top end with a low KV motor you can change your gear ratio or tire diameter, OR run eight cells instead of six.

If you want to get the most out of whatever motor you chose you must have a wide range of gears to chose from. You can only do so much with tire size and cell count.

CyberVet65

Contributor
I have a Chimera EP Pro and the stock motor is a 980kv. It really runs hard.

And I have a Rampage MT based on the kershawdesigns unit. It has a 910kv motor. And I am running those huge stock MT tires! I get run times of 30 minutes with a 6s lipo. I have a set of Hostile MX on split six rims. When I run those I can smoke all four tires on launch. Not to mention in the dirt I pull wheelies! And that MT weighs a ton.

So, I think under 1000kv for torque and run times. Over 1000kv for speed and shorter run times.

I think. So far that works for me.

captbags

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just stick to the stock motor since there is no reason to change and save the money for the adapters needed to change the wheels/tires to different brand.

What is Stock pinion size? 10 or 11t? is it 5mm bore?

daravelli

If you don't actually want to go any faster, I'd say it's probably fine to stick with the stock motor, but you're going to have a hard time finding another pinion for that motor because the shaft is too small. You can use a pinion sleeve but it isn't exactly the most reliable setup. I'd recommend going with one of the leopard motors, and I do agree with Ol' Fart on the fact that you should stick with 1000kv or below. I'm running a leopard 1100kv but it runs just a little too hot for my taste. This is with the lowest gearing possible on the 7075rc setup. I've got a fan setup from kershaw designs that I haven't tested out yet, so hoping that will help. I'm running the Chimera btw.

Last edited by a moderator:

xboxice

I Have learned the hard way twice :( smoke the stock 980kv and a leopard 4092 using MT wheels on my xbe/Hornet,now waiting on the 1250kv stock motor to come in,ill be running 6/8s only 11T 5B wheels

GIGAWATTS

Ive been running a kershaw motor mount and the castle the 1580kv 1717 castle motor. Ive had no problems with heat running the stock pinion/spur. its got a lot of torque. and a fair amount of speed. here a couple of run video

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online