• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

My Rampage TT

lightning73

That IS good to hear! My MT is still puttin the beatdown on the "regular" black steel gears, it puts a little bit of wear on em every time I run it. They (the black ones) definately arent "good quality" hardened steel gears. Thanks for the update grf looks like a set of those "truely hardened" steel gears are in my near future. Even tho they arent cheap.....OUCH!!

Hopefully someone at Redcat will sense the sarcasm used here and actually use better quality steel....lol.....Oh and don't even get me started on the metal being used for the stock front and rear upper arms.....lmao........Im snappin those arms like popsicle sticks........ :D

Last edited by a moderator:

grf

lightning73 said:
That IS good to hear! My MT is still puttin the beatdown on the "regular" black steel gears, it puts a little bit of wear on em every time I run it. They (the black ones) definately arent "good quality" hardened steel gears. Thanks for the update grf looks like a set of those "truely hardened" steel gears are in my near future. Even tho they arent cheap.....OUCH!!
Hopefully someone at Redcat will sense the sarcasm used here and actually use better quality steel....lol.....Oh and don't even get me started on the metal being used for the stock front and rear upper arms.....lmao........Im snappin those arms like popsicle sticks........ :D
the gears are nice and narrower than the black steel ones (yes i had those since day one but.....). i believe this is one of the factors that makes them work better. even if they have some movement left and right cause of the narrow width they do not bind like the black ones. they definitely are better machined (on center from what i can see) and they look like they are really hard (Martin is using them for some time and i will report if i have any problems.

the bit i do not get with the redcat gears is that the same company makes the extra hard drive cups and the rest of the gears (crown pinions etc) that are really good so i do not get how they can make such a terrible job with the these gears.

Martin

I'm not expert in metallurgy by far, but I have a rough idea, maybe they use a poor quality metal, you can see fine incrusted rust in some of their metal parts, and maybe they do not choose the right grade for a specific purpose.

It's either some parts are too brittle for what it must do or too soft, maxed with ''maybe'' the wrong hardening/tempering process.

The pinion and crown are not much better, it's soft, I can machine them on my lathe with a cheap HSS cutter, but they do their work and last without too much wear.

All around, for the price we paid and not to forget it's 4WD, it's a good RC.

grf

its been a long time since i updated this thread

here are some photos current state

custom plastic cage

proline 5t wheels

and 29 zen topend

here are some photos of what i use. nothing fancy but it does the job for me very well.

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0693.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts