• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

My Rampage TT

grf

Hi all

after a lot of thought i ordered and today received a rampage tt and i have to say i am very impressed. i bought the V1 with the upgrade kit and the ddm pipe as per DDM special. all looks really good apart from one thing.

my rims sime to have an argument with the metal rings in the centers as they came loose in the box and they are not a tight fit. they just drop off.

is this normal? should i glue them? has anyone else faced this before?

thanks

forist

Contributor
Mine did the same thing, I used contact cement and they are still holding. I don't know if they get tight after putting the wheels on but they are not coming off. Good luck hope this helps :)

grf

thanks a lot

it helps a lot to know i am not the only one and second that i can glue them up.

now i have to install the upgrade kit and go from there.

grf

as far i am very very happy with my buy.

all hex screws(my mcd had Philips and hex)

everything looks nice and tight, have not found anything that was loose or in the wrong place. i like the was the suspension is working. i checked the dog bones and i guess it need a really good thrash to make them pop. i read about the gears melting and it is no surprise as they are so tight that it is impossible not to overheat ( good thinking i ordered also the metal gear set).

negatives so far.

1 the cage is a joke with little pressure everything is supported by the spark plug.

2 the hubs are not a tight fit with the bearing that also have some play and all end up in some play on all wheels.

3 i already mentioned the ring problem.

keep posted as the following days i hope to put up some pics and continue to write about my experience with the TT

forist

Contributor
All I installed was the arms,bumpers,gear plate and vented clutch bell. All the rest is stock its all holding up just fine ill replace the other stuff as needed.

grf

mooman007uk said:
Hi grf....make sure you read the sticky at the top of general discussions, the V1 needs a bit of servicing before you run it, centre dog bones, green loctite all the dogbone pins and quite a few other bits and bobs.
if you think the plastic hubs are bad buy some aluminum ones, you'll see what real slop is, same with most of the alloy parts....I've used sleeve retainer on the bearings in both my alloy gear plates but they still work loose and my front wheels have excessive play now. That's my only major beef with these trucks...the alloy parts have way too much slop at the bearing holes.
i am not going to take the tt out before do all the fixes-checks. i was reading about the redacat for some time before making the decision.

about the alloy parts yes i heard that too and one of the guys that bash with us has one full alloy truck (as a second car that he bought very very cheap) and he is not using any of the alloy as he said the slop is enormous. he things he will make sleeves first before he uses any alloy.

kryptonite

hey grf. seems to be coming along nice.. i have alloy. the slop isnt bad and its about the same as the plastic once you run that a few times.. as the metal rings will stay on once you tight down the hub. nver had one come off

grf

well i after 2 tanks i have 2 major problems.

snapped and bent shock shafts and that stupid aluminum part that holds the disk pads/main shafts (it should be the shaft one piece or the the part steel).

i wanted to take some pictures and video but in the future. i did not use the stock motor as i had a g270 and the combination is just killing the bajas were we bash. it gets on the pipe faster than they do and even the slight lower top speed does not show as the rampage just jumps in front when they try to find a way to go straight and even when they do they need a lot more room for top speed. usually they run out of space before getting there.

at the moment i just try to make a decision about the shocks.

should i give the stock one another chance?

should i put the 6mm shafts from the front ss shocks?

should i use the front ss shocks all around?

should i put the front and rear shocks from the ss?

i am troubled as you see and not interested in using after market ones as i am in Australia and really does not help me to pay an arm and a leg if and when i will need replacements.

kryptonite

hey grf. once you get those little bugs out, you'll be back on track to "schooling" those hpi's again.. ditch those stock shock shafts. for the same price you can run either hpi shock shaft with good/better resoults. you can run the complete shock kits with some mods(i don't know them).. i went with just the shafts as thats all you really need. they do take a slight bit of home remedies to make them perfect. one of the issues is the lower spring retainer rubs on the plastic suspension arm at full suspension travel (doesn't rub with alloy arms).. you can shim that with a few mm's of nylon spacers. the front shafts bottoms out on the top of the shock cap. i fixed that with thinner piston nuts and chopping off the rest of the threads that hit the cap. the 6mm shafts create too much volume in the shock body, so you need to leave a little air ontop of the oil when filling them. that can be resolved with running gh/python ressy caps,(i don't run them). i and others have had issues with that d-shaft and square hub behind the brakes. once it starts to come lose it will always come lose. i replaced mine with fresh parts, ditched the set-screw for a larger cap screw and no issues since then. its part of my after/pre run inspection. sounds like your almost their bud!

note: love the parogragh with you politly explaining how "they" just cant keep up. we all know there faster. but "they" just cant seem to make it around us.. lol. :D :D

grf

first for some reason i do not receive notifications for when someone posts here so if i do not respond on time you know why.

about the shocks and the hydro lock i really do not understand how it works. all the shocks i works with before had the rubber cup that separated a small amount of air on top and allowed the rubber to compress and extend. i do not understand why they do not use this simple and working design. i guess they use those foam things to achieve the same effect.

so no one is running a full set of hpi shocks or 4 fronts?

i really would like to try a clean solution but then again if it is possible to work the shock shafts to play ball at the front it would be ok too.

DemonRC

There are plenty of guys here running SS front shocks all the way around. I was running all SS shocks at one time and then I switched the shafts out for smaller Phatdad 4.8's. I'm even using GH piggybacks for the Baja.

kryptonite

grf. i don't recieve notice either.. so ya. alot of guys run the 22 shocks. i just don't know how they fit or what little modds must be done, but i assume they go on pretty easy with little to know modding. and yes, i don't know why they don't use that little rubber cap in the shocks. i tryed small chunks of foam from on-road bumpers, but it didnt help much. eather way you go will be a huge improvement. do a search for the ss shocks and see what you come up with. im running RTR shock shafts in my TT and 6mm's in my MT. its just the cheapest fix for me and i have yet to break any or have leaks.

camtunkpa

I'm currently working on running ss shocks front and rear. I have a rigged up shock tower extension in the rear to run baja ss rear shocks and will get around to mounting up some ss front shocks on the front when I get the chance. Hopefully this month I will have time to sit down and make up my finalized shock towers. The SS shocks are working well in the rear so far. Only thing is I broke a shock end (Which means I have to replace the entire shaft thank god for darksoul threaded shock shafts). The shock end broke because of an over extension during a large cartwheel with no limiting straps installed yet. Anyway if you want to run rear ss shocks you'll have to make some sort of shock tower extension. I am pleased with the way the ss rear shocks work on my rampage TT.

grf

i ve decided to go with ss fronts all around. they are on the way so next week i should have them installed. the only thing i need to do is limit the extension at the front.

the stock rampage shocks are 186-132 rear and 172-124 front. the ss acoording to hpi are 187-127 so it is going to give me more compression at the back (more than welcome especially if you want big wheels) and after limiting the extension you loose only 3mm compression at the front that there might be a way to get it back without a new or modified shock tower.

grf

had another session today thanks to a friend that gave me 2 front shocks for the day as mine have not arrived yet. the photos are when i first got the track and from the first effort to clean it today as the wife took the memory card form the camera and i could not take pics or video from the bash.

the gap at the rear shocks is cause i had to give them back

it is dirt and the only thing that i killed is the standard steering servo.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

grf

notice the quick release mod i ve done? i just used a 12mm tube

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online