• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

My DR Build: Project Z

Pedal2themedal

Hey guys, new to the forum, definitely not RC. This is my second gasser, first was a King Motors Baja 5B, ran amazing but finances forced me to sell.

Would have bought another one, but couldn't find any in stock, and then I saw the DR and I was sold. 4wd Buggy = AWESOME!!

So far this is what I have:

Hitec Servos

Futaba 4PLS for the radio (stock looked like junk)

Baja SS Tuned Pipe

Baja 5b Stock Air Filter w/ Outerwear

8K Clutch

Trenchers (Will be mounted on Desperado Wheels)

Imex J-7's (For when I want to look bad ass and hit some mud holes)

On the way:

Killer Bee Kill Switch

Turtle Racing HD Clutch Housing

Victory RC Big Bore Side Mount Exhaust Pipe

Zenoah G320RC 4 Bolt Engine (Said to make at least 5.5 HP with a good pipe)

Mods Done:

Vented Transmission

So that is what I have right now, looks to be a very promising build, running break in on the stock engine so I have a backup in case the 320 has issues. Will vent the gas tank shortly as well. Would love to get the 2 speed Demon tranny, but all my money is tied up in Amazon Gift Cards at the moment (Where I bought all that I have so far, lol). Would trade the stock engine and servos for a two speed when my new engine comes if need be, lol.

What else do I need to do to make this thing bulletproof or at least strong enough to handle the 320 without breaking stuff every run? Any weak points I need to address in the suspension/steering assembly?

Will post some pics later on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pedal2themedal

This is what it looks like right now, will look a lot different by the time it's done. :)

2014-05-21.jpg

2014-05-21.jpg

/monthly_2014_05/2014-05-21.jpg.1720c4dda2c67024b860dc3c8667a16e.jpg

Ice_2k

Did you ever finish it? Just curious if the transmission holds up to that power...

designed2survive

Ice_2k said:
Did you ever finish it? Just curious if the transmission holds up to that power...
10 months old thread. I doubt you'll get a response but who knows. Personally, I think too much power is TOO MUCH power.

The way I see it:

Either:

- you have a stock drivetrain that it going to be destroyed

- you are happy just spinning wheels with no traction

- you are happy going through a set of tires every 1 miles

Or

- you have a bulletproof drivetrain that can take the abuse (big no no on the stock Rampage drivetrain)

- you are very very gentle on the throttle and only gradually accelerate at a very slow rate to save your drivetrain and other components of your car.

- you only go full throttle after respecting the last statement above which means you have a at least a 1/4 miles road available to run.

Just my opinion.

Ice_2k

designed2survive said:
- you have a bulletproof drivetrain that can take the abuse (big no no on the stock Rampage drivetrain)
is there an alternative?

Phill

You summed it up pretty well

Stock power is what they're designed for

QUOTE=designed2survive;153420]10 months old thread. I doubt you'll get a response but who knows. Personally, I think too much power is TOO MUCH power.

The way I see it:

Either:

- you have a stock drivetrain that it going to be destroyed

- you are happy just spinning wheels with no traction

- you are happy going through a set of tires every 1 miles

Or

- you are very very gentle on the throttle and only gradually accelerate at a very slow rate to save your drivetrain and other components of your car.

- you only go full throttle after respecting the last statement above which means you have a at least a 1/4 miles road available to run.

Just my opinion.

designed2survive

Power from these mills is only good when it's actually usable, otherwise it a recipe for issues. It can be justified in a heavy beefy car but even there, there is that line where it stops being usable and helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.