• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

MT Run 2, Review inside

Just_Gerald

Well, last night was fun and disappointing.

Got the ESP 30.5 engine and rear DOM installed. Ran the MT, great punch off the line but got to top RPMs way too fast. Absolutely need higher gearing in the truck for the big engine, explains why it went so well with the 23 in it. I think I am going to try the TT gearing to see if that helps unless there is another solution that is coming out soon.

So for the first tank the MT was a blast, passed the controller around and got my FG buddy (PBJT) all excited (and disappointed cause he is a full on FG fan). He couldn’t believe that something for less $ then his FG’s could work so well. Took some biggish jumps and high speed runs and generally had a good time.

Here is some vid of the MT running around.

So everything was going so well we brought it in and put the 3rd tank in and then started having issues..

Shock C-clips – Ok actually I didn’t fix them from last time

Too low of gearing for the engine pipe combo

DOM worked great but was a little hard on the body. Didn’t quite get it shifted far enough to the passengers side of the truck and it melted out the back drivers side corner of the body, but small price to pay for the power it provides

Heater hose melted thru on the pipe. But kind of figured it would, going to add a steel pipe length in to reduce the gap and get silicon to joint what’s left

Biggest disappointment – destroyed the rear diff. the diff cup gear on the ring gear side broke and the case has a large crack in it. So it appears that this design has the same case issues that the baja did with the big power engines. Would be a good application for a Al case. The gear is also not as thick as a baja one. Tried sticking in a baja one and the baja is almost twice as thick and the diff cup hole is larger, so no go there, but the tooth pitch is correct. Might be able to mill down the baja gear to put in, but still need a new case.

Also once we pulled the diff, noticed that that ends of the Dogbones are being gouged from the edge of the diff cups. So far its just a little less then a 1/64 deep, but is a concern with only 2-3 tanks thru it.

So final thoughts…defiantly much more fun with the 30 in there, have some controllability in the air, and is awesome at hill climbing. Have some teething problems, but no more than any other Large scale has had when they first came out. Was hoping I could get a new diff for the weekend, but that is probably out of the question, so I guess the MT is down for a bit.

Here are some pics

P1010066-1.jpg

P1010065.jpg

P1010067.jpg

M

magnum57

nice job on the review. the video is way sweet. hope u get it back up soon. thanks for all the info. its post like this that help all of us.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts