• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

MT chassis supports

rampage idiot

Yep I have been running these for over a year without a glitch! I was cracking front diffs before, I posted this because another member asked for pics so here they are. I actually got this idea from krashkrieg a while ago

Ildy666

Yea they work well takes a lot of chassis flex out.claude I didn't forget u just too much going on now.when I get into the new shop my project list will start...

MTMIKE

What model MT? I have a Rampage V2 that I would like to do the same thing on. Same problem, cracking diff housings. Where did you get tubing like that? Did you make the bends or have a machine shop make them for you? Would like as much info as you would provide. Thanks!

claude bigelow

Ildy666 said:
Yea they work well takes a lot of chassis flex out.claude I didn't forget u just too much going on now.when I get into the new shop my project list will start...
No problem. As usual I still have to put my truck back together.

PrjctStrtFrce

.035 wall chrome moly tubing at www.onlinemetals.com

Hey rampage, do you have a part # for the tube that you purchased? I have no idea what to put in when it says to refine my search...and the description you gave me isn't coming up.

You think a local hardware store would have anything equivalent?

Last edited by a moderator:

rampage idiot

PrjctStrtFrce said:
.035 wall chrome moly tubing at www.onlinemetals.comHey rampage, do you have a part # for the tube that you purchased? I have no idea what to put in when it says to refine my search...and the description you gave me isn't coming up.

You think a local hardware store would have anything equivalent?
This is what it is listed under, you can check local I could not find any around me.0.313" OD X 0.035" WALL 4130 ALLOY STEEL TUBE

PrjctStrtFrce

Here it is. Great, thanks a bunch! :p

If I were to want to do back and front, then how much would you recommend I get, 1 or 2 feet?.....on second thought, maybe closer to 2-3 feet?

To make the process easier, what size screws and washers did you use? :eek:

When you smashed the ends of the tube and bent them to their mounting position, didn't that make the entire tube weaker by giving it a "flex" point at both ends? Obviously that is the only way to install them and it would still add reinforcement, but just curious.

Last edited by a moderator:

rampage idiot

PrjctStrtFrce said:
Here it is. Great, thanks a bunch! :p If I were to want to do back and front, then how much would you recommend I get, 1 or 2 feet?.....on second thought, maybe closer to 2-3 feet?

To make the process easier, what size screws and washers did you use? :eek:

When you smashed the ends of the tube and bent them to their mounting position, didn't that make the entire tube weaker by giving it a "flex" point at both ends? Obviously that is the only way to install them and it would still add reinforcement, but just curious.
3ft will cover you, 6mm bolts with lock nuts and you don't understand how strong chrome moly tubing is that stuff is tuff as nails mine have been on over a year and as you can see they are painted and there is no sign of the paint cracking so trust me there is no flexing!

krashkrieg

Contributor
I believe you only need the front ones...they really make the front end rock solid.

You should definately have a vice, large hammer, and sharp drill bits...

Also, I would smash the first 1/2" and bend it....put it up against the shock stand to get a real close idea of where to cut it for bottom part smash and bend.

PrjctStrtFrce

Ordered myself 48 inches. :D I'm sure I'll have quite bit left over, but I'm leaving some room for error...and possibly using it somewhere else too.

PrjctStrtFrce

So I went ahead and made myself the braces. Definitely a PITA on the first one. Took quite a bit of trial and error to pry and angle both ends to have them line up. The second one I managed to get on my first try, so that was exciting. :p It took about 2 hours for the whole process...about 1.5 hours for the first one and less than 30 minutes for the second one.

I cut the tubes to about 7 1/4 inches each, drilled the shock tower end to 7/32 and the chassis end to 5/32. I will need to get longer shock tower screws by about 5mm.

I understand that the material is strong, but in the event of a bad crash, I still think that the front end would cringe again. The tube is definitely strong, but if I can tweak the flat ends with vise grips, granted it took quite a bit of effort, I think that a crash would tweak it...obviously the braces would reinforce it to a certain extent.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts