• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

MT chassis bent...

PrjctStrtFrce

So I have run about 8+ tanks on my MT, which is all stock except for added outerwears. I've been taking it easy and getting used to the big guy. My favorite is gravel yards and loose dirt with some soft slopes for small jumps.

Yesterday I found a nice construction site with gravel hills that were perfect for jumping...I have had quite a bit of fun with those using my nitro 1/8 trucks...and started the jumps small, just to get a feel for the truck and how it would take it. I landed it on its nose once going really slow but it managed to stay on its wheels. Then I attempted it at a higher speed...if you call less than half throttle "higher speed"...and landed it on its nose again and the thing started to sounding funny.

I went over and notice that the front center dogbone is bent. MAD. I also noticed that the throttle/brake was acting up, so I took a look at the linkages and operation of the servo and all was good...then I touched the outerwear and noticed that it was very floppy, and upon further inspection, the inside of the filter shattered due to the roll cage brace pushing into it. MAD MAD. Front end of the chassis is pretty tweaked too, along with the blue front upper chassis brace. MAD MAD MAD. After taking apart the filter, I only found 3 of the 5 plastic tower things...later I found one inside of the carb :eek: which left one unaccounted for which made me :eek: more because where else could it have gone besides...you guessed it, inside of the motor. Started ripping everything apart and noticed a chunk of a foreign object on top of the piston which actually looked like a chunk of metal :eek: until I got it out and noticed that it was a pancaked piece of plastic :D . The spark plug also had quite a bit of crap on it, which I am positive is some more melted plastic bits. I am doing a complete tear down of the motor to make sure that I get all of the plastic bits out.

Anyone think that there could have been some damage to the motor from the plastic tower, or is the evidence showing that the motor just blew it into microscopic pieces? What should I look for to make sure that everything is good working condition?

What other possible damage should I look for from the tweaked front end?

I will be posting pics within a few hours.

...as upset as I am about the weak chassis, I'm actually excited that I'm finally ripping everything apart on this big guy and will finally add all of my mods. MUAHAHA

UPDATED with pictures a few posts down.

Last edited by a moderator:

rampage idiot

The MT has a known weakness with frame flex, there are a lot of posts on here about it, all you have 2 do is take tubing from the frame to the shock towers

Silent_chaos

See this vid and how the losi 5t stands up to 25 ft jumps :p

rookie101

MT chassis bent...

Ha, my XB-E is in that vid, that was a fun day! And honestly Medics 5ive was twisted pretty good after that. This ramp is the reason he "had" to do project large, truck needed a complete rebuild.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ildy666

Nice vid. Losi is a tank.but the redcat held up pretty well....you Canadians r hard core bashers....love it.....

PrjctStrtFrce

I was able to bend the chassis back a bit, but one of the ends is still slightly tweaked...should I still get a new one? And what about the blue brace, tweaked enough to need replacing?

rookie101

Just straighten the chassis and other pieces as best you can and keep using them unless it bugs you. Spark plug looks like it needs to be replaced but from the pictures the motor looks okay. Clean it and put it back together with new gaskets.

phreerider

as long as drive line is tension free you can run the chassis, it will continue to deform but somewhere else. and tracking may have issues.

hard see the total extent , i can see the twist for sure, the front definitely got jacked!

those are stout chassis' i would run it.

and maybe change 2 stroke oil, ton of carbon, what are u running now?

PrjctStrtFrce

phreerider said:
those are stout chassis' i would run it.

and maybe change 2 stroke oil, ton of carbon, what are u running now?
Are you saying that it is a good chassis and that you would still run it?

Homelite premium synthetic blend from Home Depot, mixed at a little over 25:1

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.