• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

maybe a stupid question but here goes!

cable97526

Why is it that our 1/4 scale servos aren't faster and more powerful than there 1/8th scale counterparts? I just ordered a new servo from futaba it's a bls152 with 430 oz of torque at .14 transit????? why aren't are large servos the same or better?? Why don't we just use standard servos for steering duties?

Heres some links to servos that I'm tallking about

http://www.gpdealera.com/cgi-bin/wgainf100p.pgm?I=FUTM0512

http://www.jrradios.com/Products/TechnicalSpecs.aspx?ProdID=JRPS8711

http://www.jrradios.com/Products/TechnicalSpecs.aspx?ProdID=JRPS8711HV

I love my JR 9100S in my buggies.

Last edited by a moderator:

cable97526

Moo, I can understand your point there but we use them extremely hard in our 1/8th truggies and bounce them off 30++ foot landings and so far the geartrain is the least of our worries? I know now that alot of companies are using lazer cut titanium gears for longevity. Like I said it was all just a thought, I was thinking of dual 9000t for steering duties in my ramp seeing as how I have two of them and they spec out at over 300z of torque a piece with a .13 transit time.

fastlane

Team Driver
but you can use a nylon gear large scale? I have a airtronics 94780 423in/oz that I will try on my steering I ran it on an all aluminum savage with axial beadlocks and bigjoes and it whipped them around like a rag. Is there a way to mount them or do I have to make a brace?

hamster huey

Listen to moo about the leverage thing. The wheels have more weight on them and more force against them. Yes 1/4 scale can have nylon but with approprate teeth size. Your 1/8 doesn't take much force to turn at a stand still and at 45-55 it takes less force than when standing still because there is way less friction. Try this experiment. Take the servo out of your 11lb 1/8 and put it on concrete, dirt, asphalt, or grass. Now remove the servo out of your rampage and place it on the same surface next to the 1/8. By hand try to steer the steering servo arm of each and you will see how much more force the Ramp requires. Like moo said a 1/5 servo saver will not be able to protect a 1/8 servo the way it should. Your question about speed...1/8 servos have smaller motors which can spool up faster. Max rpm of a brushless 280 motor over 100,000 rpm. 540 about 75,000. And 650+ size around 55,000rpm. The bigger the motor the less rpm, slower spool up, but more TQ just like gasoline motors. If your experiment works cool, if not get a new geartrain not really a big deal unless you fry your board or motor.

Last edited by a moderator:

fastlane

Team Driver
thanks for the info. you all have to be right because you have the experiance that I lack for sure with the 5th scales I was Just pushin the issue a bit. Hitec is supposed to release the 805mg in early september.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts